TomTom Froze - Formatted - Need HELP

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 920
This morning TomTom Home crashed on me and closed while my GO920 was in the dock connected. When I took it out of the dock, it wouldn't get past the splash screen. Did a reset on it, twice, still nothing. So, I connected it back to TomTom Home. I then deleted the application from the device, and reinstalled it, but nothing. So, I got pissed :mad: , went into My Computer, right clicked on the internal memory for the device and formatted it.

After it formatted I connected it back to TomTom Home. It downloaded the Application, and updated to v8.3. I then used LMG to get maps, I left it at that and came on in to work. I'm going to run home and check it at lunch.

Is there anything else I'll need to install to get it back to normal? Or is there a better way?

I tried the restore, but it kept saying something about an SD card that wasn't present. But it is, I even took the SD card out, but still nothing...

This morning TomTom Home crashed on me and closed while my GO920 was in the dock connected. When I took it out of the dock, it wouldn't get past the splash screen. Did a reset on it, twice, still nothing. So, I connected it back to TomTom Home. I then deleted the application from the device, and reinstalled it, but nothing. So, I got pissed :mad: , went into My Computer, right clicked on the internal memory for the device and formatted it.

After it formatted I connected it back to TomTom Home. It downloaded the Application, and updated to v8.3. I then used LMG to get maps, I left it at that and came on in to work. I'm going to run home and check it at lunch.

Is there anything else I'll need to install to get it back to normal? Or is there a better way?

I tried the restore, but it kept saying something about an SD card that wasn't present. But it is, I even took the SD card out, but still nothing...

Are you sure you formatted the INTERNAL memory and loaded the TomTom Application there and not on your SD card?

If you are sure that you formatted the internal memory and also reinstalled the TomTom Application on the internal memory, then that should get you up and running again (assuming you'll also re-copy over your maps as well).

If you still have issues, you may need to run the TomTom FLASH utility: >>> HERE <<<

Are you sure you formatted the INTERNAL memory and loaded the TomTom Application there and not on your SD card?

If you are sure that you formatted the internal memory and also reinstalled the TomTom Application on the internal memory, then that should get you up and running again (assuming you'll also re-copy over your maps as well).

If you still have issues, you may need to run the TomTom FLASH utility: >>> HERE <<<

Yeah, I'm sure I did the internal memory.

The other day when I did a backup, I also did a copy using Windows Explorer and copied all files and folders from the GO920 over to a folder on my desktop. I tried copying those files back, but that wouldn't go either for some reason...

Sounds as if when Home crashed and you removed the unit, you did so without using the 'safely remove usb' icon in the notification area; consequently, data was not written to flash memory properly and therefore the unit didn't boot properly.

Two questions: 1) When you tried to restore your Explorer backup, was that before or after the reformatting and (part of the same question) what exactly did not work as you say when you tried the restore?
2) When you made the Explorer backup, did you ensure hidden files/folders were showing as were extensions for known file types?

Sounds as if when Home crashed and you removed the unit, you did so without using the 'safely remove usb' icon in the notification area; consequently, data was not written to flash memory properly and therefore the unit didn't boot properly.

Two questions: 1) When you tried to restore your Explorer backup, was that before or after the reformatting and (part of the same question) what exactly did not work as you say when you tried the restore?
2) When you made the Explorer backup, did you ensure hidden files/folders were showing as were extensions for known file types?

Answers:
1: It was after the reformatting. A .dat file wouldn't copy, actually several wouldn't.

2: No, I did not have hidden files and folders set to be shown at the time of the backup. I thought when I did a "CTRL+A" to select all files and folders, it prompted me and said something like, "There are x hidden files in this folder. To select them enable hidden files and folders".

Got the application back on to v8.3. Now when trying to install the North American maps from LMG, I get the following error below.

ERROR: DesktopLib/InstallToDevice/Install/Single/Write: An error occurred while using this file: M:\North_America\cnode.dat
@ .\framework\InstallToDeviceThread.cpp(1198)
in .\framework\InstallToDeviceThread.cpp:1198
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:73
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1094
me._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:70
this._errorCallback(e);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:62
this._errorFatal(error);

Time: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 19:04:14 GMT

Got the application back on to v8.3. Now when trying to install the North American maps from LMG, I get the following error below.

ERROR: DesktopLib/InstallToDevice/Install/Single/Write: An error occurred while using this file: M:\North_America\cnode.dat
@ .\framework\InstallToDeviceThread.cpp(1198)
in .\framework\InstallToDeviceThread.cpp:1198
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:73
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1094
me._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:70
this._errorCallback(e);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:62
this._errorFatal(error);

Time: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 19:04:14 GMT

Instead of using HOME to install your maps, I would simply try to copy over your map folder (Norther_America) from your backup and see if that works first.

Instead of using HOME to install your maps, I would simply try to copy over your map folder (Norther_America) from your backup and see if that works first.

Come to find out, I need to uncheck the "Quick format" option when formatting the internal memory according to TomTom. Hopefully that's part of my problem. I'll try it again when I get home. I've been using LogMeIn to remote into my home PC, but it's to a point where I need to physically disconnect the TomTom device and reconnect it. :rolleyes:

Well, the device will not format. I've called TomTom and got an RMA number. I've had the device less than 2 weeks, and already sending it back.

What sucks is that I'm going on a trip the week of Thanksgiving, and I probably won't have it back in time. I'm going to call TomTom back in the morning to see if there is anything they can do.

If less than 2 weeks, can you not simply return it to place of purchase for a new unit?

I did buy it online. It's a refurbished unit from TomTom. :(

I called the seller, they are shipping me another unit overnight to me. Then faxing me a return shipping label to get my defective unit back to them. :D

AWESOME!!!

Good news. I don't think there is a harm if you mention the online source. Seems like good customer support. All members here would benefit from that info.

Good news. I don't think there is a harm if you mention the online source. Seems like good customer support. All members here would benefit from that info.

I bought it off of ebay. Below is a link to their ebay online store. Great company to work with.

http://stores.ebay.com/Global-Phoenix-Direct-Sale

Global Phoenix Computer Technologies Solutions, Inc.
21 Dutch Mill Road
Ithaca, NY 14850
(607) 257-7279 or
(607) 257-3450

Ask a Question