Tomtom FREE Lifetime Map Updates & Traffic Announced

I have an 11 month old 740 Live. I just went through the pain of renewing my Live Traffic subscription, but also was told by TT where the Lifetime Map upgrades can be found. The US$99 deal is ONLY available on Amazon.com, period. Unlike the US$39.95 "deal", where you MUST start from the LATEST map (at a cost of an additional US$34.95), where it is also unclear how many quarters you actually get, the Amazon deal gives you a code that actually works, on TTHome and instantly gives you your first new map.

The buyer needs to be careful to make sure your TT model is on the qualifying list before buying this, and of course decide if you are going to get enough quarters out of it to make it worth it. I am happy with my 740, and I have an extended warranty on it, so I expect to get at least 6-8 additional quarters.

Hope that helps.

Here's the link on Amazon for purchasing lifetime maps at $99.

So far they're the only vendor I know of that sells this.

Seems that, if you map is up-to-date, it's cheaper to buy the $40-$50 map subscription and the $5 lifetime add-on.

Though I'm not sure how long the $5 add-on will be available as it isn't noted anywhere except in the HOME app for existing map subscribers.

That's a big "if". There is no wiggle room for the $39.95 4 quarter/one year deal. You must have the absolutely most up-to-date map or it will not let you buy this map plan without buying a new map first, allegedly at half price .

I have always been satisfied with using the 30 day map guarantee after purchase, using Mapshare for a year and then getting a new map at some point. So, by definition, I will never have the absolutely latest map to use for this deal. Probably very few others will either, hence the "too good to be true" deal of $9.95 per month we all see on TT Home.

The "catch up" fee for the annual map subscription is usually 25% of map subscription price for each outdated quarter.

The idea is to prevent people from gaming the system by delaying purchase of the map subscription.

So the fine print is possibly even worse than I described below. If you have a one year old map then your "catch up" fee is essentially $79. I was told "probably half" by TT for the "catch up". The TT system is gamed again by the fine print. I now feel even bettter for going ahead with the $99 deal on Amazon.

This is good dialog, as I have seen many people wringing their hands over the teaser deals out there to buy new units to get the "latest/better" deal

Just attempt to buy the annual subscription in Tomtom HOME. It will tell you the official catch-up fee for your device (before you have to pay anything).

That way you'll know the proper amount.

I saw somewhere that TomTom was, at one time, going to offer the updates for existing models.

But all it says on TT's site is 'coming soon' :rolleyes:

Lifetime maps are offered here, but not for the 920.

The lifetime traffic antenna is also not compatible with the 920. But if you want cheap traffic, there are antennas on Ebay for under $20.

Thanks, do the antennas on Ebay com with the activation code for the Go. I think I will need some type of code to activate the traffic.

Also do you know of any new TT that has the following features:

Remote Control
Memory Slot
US, Canada, and Western Europe maps
Lifetime Map Updates & Traffic

Thanks, do the antennas on Ebay com with the activation code for the Go. I think I will need some type of code to activate the traffic.

The antennas don't need activation, their expiration date (if any) is built into the plug

Also do you know of any new TT that has the following features:

Remote Control
Memory Slot
US, Canada, and Western Europe maps
Lifetime Map Updates & Traffic

The only thing right now that fits your list is the GO740TM, with additional purchase of Western Europe maps and the accessory remote. However, lifetime maps won't apply to Europe.

Ask a Question