TomTom CS: Map updates are broken, no fix available

It's all fixed now. Thanks for your help, Cosmic, you saved me time not having to ring Customer Support.

Im still having the problem as stated in my thread on this board. Only had the paper weight a few days, and kinda a pain in the rear really. So TomTom know about the problem, and are fixing it i guess as some people seem to have there units sorted out. Hopefully mine will be working soon. By the way i got the XL LIve IQ Routes Edition

Happy to say that I finally got mine working last night (XL335TM). It appears that they fixed whatever was wrong, at least for my model.

Regarding the topic at hand, all is fixed. As of Aug-19-Th 06:33am (GMT-0500) I received and email from TomTom Support with instructions for the fix. I followed the instructions, which were easy to follow, and now my TomTom Ease is working fine again.

As a side note, and I am sorry if I am a newbie spinning a new thread, but I am looking for advice.

I am now wondering if I should have gotten an "M" unit with "free lifetime map updates"?

Or maybe I should have gotten a "T" unit with "free lifetime traffic updates"?

Or maybe I should have gotten a "TM" unit with both traffic and map updates?

Maybe I should return the "TOMTOM EASE" (which I bought for $90) and get an "TOMTOM XXL 550 TM" (which I can get for $200) and then I will have free updates, etc.

Are the "free map updates" updates to the POI and the like, etc?

Are the "free lifetime traffic updates for real-time traffic updates pushed to the TomTom while you drive? Or is it just historical traffic patterns and the like? Or is it something else?

What do you suggest?

Thank you.

-- Mark Kamoski

Last edited:
Mark, all the models you mention come with 'EasyMenu' with very few user options. While it is rumoured a future application will loosen up things somewhat, doubt the resultant menu will be equivalent to the full menu models (like the 540TM).

The traffic on all T models is NOT real time. It is via rds-tmc antenna and, while better than nothing and has reasonably current info for major roads in urban areas such as Boston, it does not contain any traffic info for side roads such as a live traffic model would have.

No Map!!

Well after 3 phone calls to tech support for my new tomtom and still it doesn't function I was about to return ot tomorrow until read this site. Unit worked fine until I connected to home to update the map, I went from "this map can't be read" to having no map whatsoever. Completely frustrated at this time. At leaste now I know why the wait is so long to talk to CS.

Does the Ease support any type of traffic reporting? In this day and age it's extremely rare to find a major brand name GPS that doesn't at least have FM traffic available as a separate add on. IQ Routes and Garmin's equivalent don't eliminate the need for near real time or actual real time traffic reporting.

Well after 3 phone calls to tech support for my new tomtom and still it doesn't function I was about to return ot tomorrow until read this site. Unit worked fine until I connected to home to update the map, I went from "this map can't be read" to having no map whatsoever. Completely frustrated at this time. At leaste now I know why the wait is so long to talk to CS.

Welcome to TTF.

What kind of model do you have? What is the application version? (Tap the satellite bars and the next screen shows the version).

See the instructions here about installing a map without using Home.

https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

Does the Ease support any type of traffic reporting? In this day and age it's extremely rare to find a major brand name GPS that doesn't at least have FM traffic available as a separate add on. IQ Routes and Garmin's equivalent don't eliminate the need for near real time or actual real time traffic reporting.

The Ease accept a rds-tmc antenna. Live traffic is not an option for the Ease model.

The Ease accept a rds-tmc antenna. Live traffic is not an option for the Ease model.

Is there a version of the Ease available with FM traffic? Or is traffic for the Ease an addon that will be released on some undisclosed date in the future?

There is no Ease model that accepts fm traffic (used to be known as Traffic Plus for those models that you could have it with).

Nor in the future, I suspect.

One would think so.

The poi.dat file comes with every map so presumably the file included with your map one year from now will be more inclusive than the one provided with the current map.

dhn -- Given what you have said, I think that I might return my Ease and take that money and $110 more to get a "TM" model, as such models seem to be much better. Thank you. -- Mark

If you need a world map GPS unit Garmin makes the best one available anywhere in the world. Garmin is the only major GPS manufacturer that offers lifetime map updates on all maps that come preinstalled with their GPS units regardless of country.

It's too bad because IQ Routes are still in their infancy with Garmin and only available with the most expensive Garmin models.

Ask a Question