tomtom color scheme maps

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom XL IQ Routes
Hi folks,

This is my first post so please bare with me. I have a Tomtom One v3, I have just started adding bits and pieces to it i,e voices,car symbols etc. I have added color scheme maps to it also but can't find them on tomtom. Gone to where it says change color of maps for day and night but still only the original map's showing. Can anybody please tell me if this version can change the map color from the pre-installed ones.

Thanks.

Welcome to this side of the pond! :D

I honestly do not know whether your model can change to add-on colour schemes (someone else will have to assist) ...

BUT........

If it can handle dl schemes, they should reside in a folder called 'schemes' (all lower case and no quotes) and have an extension of .clr for the file.

Your unit should be able to use downloaded schemes. they should be in the proper folder on your unit as DHN says.

go to "change preferences" and find the icon for "change map colors". I'm using a modified menu on my unit so cannot tell you exactly where you'll find that icon. select "change map colors", then on the first screen select "advanced". use the arrows to scroll right or left and after scrolling through all the default choices, you will see "plug in scheme". click on this and you'll be presented with a list of the available downloaded schemes. select the one you want to use.

If you don't see the list, your new files are probably not in the schemes folder.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies. I have installed the New colors and done as you suggested but still only the original maps showing. Can't understand why New colors not showing.

Thanks again.

Thanks for replies. I have installed the New colors and done as you suggested but still only the original maps showing. Can't understand why New colors not showing.

Thanks again.

Just a crazy thought but do you have sat signal???
The reason I ask this,,,, is I have noticed that on my unit there is no colour untill I have Sat signal

do you have a folder called "schemes" in the root of your tomtom....note this folder should not be inside the map folder.

If so, do you see some .clr files inside that folder? these are the color schemes.

If you do not have the above, you will not see any new schemes to load.

I doubt satelite signal has anything to do with the color schemes. I don't see any difference in this regard, signal or not.

I doubt satelite signal has anything to do with the color schemes. I don't see any difference in this regard, signal or not.

I agree....but....signal/no signal does effect the colors of the schemes....but not the schemes themselves....at least on the GOx20/x30 series.

do you have a folder called "schemes" in the root of your tomtom....note this folder should not be inside the map folder.

If so, do you see some .clr files inside that folder? these are the color schemes.

If you do not have the above, you will not see any new schemes to load.

I guess all I was trying to say is that without signal I have just gray scale map and when signal locks in the map turns to the colour that I have selected.

well I'm color blind....not kidding, at all, so perhaps mine does the same and I don't see it. interesting. I'll look for that next time.

color blindness is interesting in itself. I do see colors, but not what other people see. for instance the "green" traffic lights for me have no color, and look exactly like a lit light bulb. the amber light looks like a washed out red. no comparison at all with any green that I see in foilage or in a crayon....

we have a car that my wife tells me is a nice purple shade. I see it as gray.

Once I took a test where a flip chart has colored dots with numbers in the dot pattern. I saw no numbers in most and some numbers in others, but what I saw was wrong. 12 of 12 incorrect. :D

I was a photographer all my life and published thousands and thousands of photos, most in newspapers in black and white. However, every time I make adjustments to my digital stuff I never know if it's correct or not.....not fun.:(

Last edited:
Firstly, I don't have TT ONE so I can't say for sure.
Secondly, if you be able to download and INSTALL in your device, then it highly able to use different color scheme.
+ make sure you DO download and INSTALL one of the color scheme from TT Home
+ After install, making sure that you do see .clr file (search for .clr file on YOUR UNIT, not on your computer)
+ Make sure you remember the NAME.

+ Main Menu -> Change Preferences -> Change map colors
+ Select Plug-in Scheme -> Select the scheme that you just downloaded and installed above.

Note 1: Bear in mind that there will be 2 choices, one for DAY, and one for NIGHT, select them seperately

Note 2: as for GO920, yes, signals do effect the color so make sure that you HAVE signal LOCKED first.

Thanks All for replies. And yes my screen is Grey also until signal is found. When connecting to PC I open up files and their is now a folder with the colors in it now. So all seems to be working OK.

Thanks Again from Bonnie Scotland. ;)

Glad all is sorted but don't you guys believe in sleep there? It's after 2 am, isn't it? :p

Hi dhn,

The only reason I am up is I am medically retired/disabled and sometimes have problems sleepin, plus I am just watchin the first snow of the year falling with us.Looks like shovel out later today.ha ha ha. It's good to get a bit of banter from the other side of the world.

Take Care

Ask a Question