TomTom Clear Channel Traffic expiring but I paid

TomTom Model(s)
930T
I have a problem with my TomTom 930T.

It's counting down the days until my Clear Channel Traffic subscription expires. Right now, it's at 6 days.

However, I paid the renewal online a week ago, and sync'ed my TomTom with "TomTom HOME" software on the PC. At the time, it downloaded a file, containing a new encryption code for the traffic service. I thought it transferred the file OK. Evidently not.

I know the renewal went through, because TomTom billed my credit card $60. It triggered an international service fee, and tripped my fraud alert, because they actually ran the billing charge from the Netherlands! That's rather lame, because as the TomTom HOME software proudly says, "Copyright TomTom, registered in Concord, MA". You'd think they could register a credit card billing address there also, while they're at it! At least they're not charging me in expensive Euros....

Unfortunately, I can't find the file again, in the software. There's no option to download it again, without paying another $60.

So, what can I do? Is there a way to get it to try again?

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Josh

Call TomTom support at 866-486-6866.

Also, the necessity for US citizens to pay for Plus services through Netherland servers is a known issue (we Canadians got nailed with that all the time buying maps until about a month ago for NA & Western_Europe maps). Complain about that issue too.

Call TomTom support at 866-486-6866.

Thanks for the number. I learned their hours are 8:30a-7:00p M-F and 9a-6p Sat, Eastern time.

After waiting about 6 minutes on hold, hung up, tried again. After waiting 5 minutes on hold, got "Dennis".

I'm so disappointed. I got the runaround. I tried to tell "Dennis" that I was having trouble renewing my Clear Channel Traffic subscription, and he put me on hold. After 2 more minutes, he says he'll send me an email with instructions on how to activate my subscription. I said, no, my subscription is already activated, I want to RENEW it! He didn't quite grok this. I tried to tell him that my FM antenna was working fine, and that all I was trying to do was RENEW a subscription that already existed. He put me on hold again. When he came back, after a few more minutes of being on hold, he said he would send me an email. He assured me the email would have instructions on how to renew it.

When I later accessed my email, it was just a link to the TomTom "how to see if your FM antenna is working" page. Big sigh.

TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product

I was so disappointed. Can't believe I let "Dennis" play me for a fool.

It was then too late to call back, as I'm on Pacific time.

Also, the necessity for US citizens to pay for Plus services through Netherland servers is a known issue (we Canadians got nailed with that all the time buying maps until about a month ago for NA & Western_Europe maps). Complain about that issue too.

I mentioned it to "Dennis". One piece of information I could pry out of him was that he hears this complaint "about once or twice per day". TomTom can't claim that they are unaware of this issue.

Meanwhile, my $60 has still been spent.

I'm left without a renewed traffic subscription, nor a refund. My credit card shows I have paid. The "TomTom HOME" software had the file, transferred it to the device, then that was the end of it. I can't find the file anywhere in the "TomTom HOME" interface any more, so there's no way I can make another attempt to transfer it. There's no way to confirm that the device has received the file or not, because there's no way I can get a readout of how many days are left on my subscription, except during the warning notice that pops up, and it only pops up once every few days.

Is there any way I can escalate this? No wonder there's growing frustration building at TomTom, as their products continue to promise more than they can deliver.

I have never disputed a charge with my credit card before, but I'm thinking that this is definitely an appropriate situation.

the file you downloaded is the authorization file that allows tomtom to override an expired antenna. it might just work after the antenna expires. or you may want to buy the $15 antenna from ebay because its compatible with the 730. then demand a refund of your $60

Good news, the update file did make it to the device, after all.

It just popped up a box saying "Your Clearchannel Traffic subscription has renewed".

So, that's good. Traffic appears to be working normally now.

Ask a Question