TomTom cheating on consumers

This points mentioned below were raised separately here and there, but I think some people don't realize few facts.

A while ago when we only had GO x20 series and navcore7 everything was fine. A new map was released every 3 months, just as promised.

However after Go930 and navcore8 release something is definately wrong.

First issue, device was released with 8.000 Western and Central Europe map which they claim is the latest (in terms of coverage), despite they just released 8.05 version.

Now the interesting part.. if you dig deep into TomTom GO930 configuration files you will see the following lines :

[ID]
imageID=Western_and_Central_Europe-800.1727-TA.2007.10-modena

[ID]
imageID=North_America-800.1727-TA.2007.10-modena

Those who know a bit with regards to TomTom and TeleAtlas map releases will spot "TA.2007.10" in the above lines, which definately suggests that this
map release that is sold with GO930 is de facto the same map as 7.15 (based
on TeleAtlas 2007.10 material), only with IQ routes info added.

Now the interesting part is that despite releasing different 8.05 maps (based on 2008.1 TeleAtlas data), they haven't released Western-and- -Central-Europe version of 8.05 (2008.1 based).

As a result you cannot use Latest Map Guarantee, you cannot upgrade your outdated from the start 8.00 map, unless you buy either Western Europe 8.05 or Eastern Europe 8.05.

To add the spice, they claim now in their marketing material having 99% coverage for some countries (Poland for example) - in the stock device. It is not true, because the increased coverage appeared on 8.05/7.20 maps, not on 8.00 installed on the device... which you cannot directly upgrade.

Considering the above looks like it is better and cheaper to get 920
than outdated from the start 930. At least when it comes to Europe maps.

TomTom support told me they did not release 8.05 WCE map because the one
on the device is the latest. My question would be, why they released North America 8.05 then, as the one on the device also should be the latest one.

Me thinking both 8.00 maps are not.

cheating customers on the latest map guaranty seems to be a standard practice for tomtom. The software lies and tells you that you have the latest version when you don't. Their help desk lies and tells you that you can only upgrade your maps once when your guaranty states otherwise. I still have been unable to get the latest European maps even though my guaranty says it is "guaranteed". whatever. they suck.

If one looks at TT's financial reports of late, the company has seen a substantial decline in profitability over last year. On top of that, TT has gotten in a bidding war to acquire Tele Atlas at a hefty sum and the deal has just been approved. They now need cash, a lot of cash! They just rushed out maps v7.20 and v8.05. I say rushed out because the maps are scheduled every three months and the last (v7.15) was out in early March which would have meant the new release in early June instead of early May. I consider they rushed the x30s out for additional sales but think they should have planned it better since the QC seems to have been disregarded.

Sometimes such actions work OK. But TT is not MS and the competition is rather heavy in this field and they can't get away with everything! Get a few customers angry and they will go to the competitors and speak loudly. The old saying that the customer is always right is often true... In a way I'm disappointed the deal to buy TA was approved. TT will feel it has to squeeze its customers and it may very well explode in their face if they are not very careful!

Ask a Question