TomTom car kit and app for original iPhone

I just found out that the car kit has a GPS built into it and will work with the original iPhone that does not have GPS built in.

The ad copy talks about "enhanced GPS" due to the chips built into the car kit.

Does that mean the GPS in the car kit functions instead of the GPS built into the iPhone and does a better job or that it works in conjunction with the GPS in the iPhone? If I use it with an original iPhone, will it not work as well as with a 3G iPhone?

There are two car kits for Apple products one has GPS and Bluetooth for the handsfree/ nav audio, the other has just the GPS part. The GPS signal from the cradle is way better than the crap receiver performance you get with an iPhone. If you have an early iPhone with no GPS built in make sure the docking connector is the same as the later units or you might find neither car cradle will work for you - Mike

If you have an early iPhone with no GPS built in make sure the docking connector is the same as the later units or you might find neither car cradle will work for you - Mike

So how does one determine if the iPhone docking connector is compatible? Where did you get this information from?

I just purchased the tom-tom car kit for the iPhone and it works with two out of the three first generation phones I own. On one iPhone I get the ?This accessory is not made to work with the iPhone? message. The car kit tool program status indicates not docked. The phone docks with other accessories just fine. The connector appears to be clean and in good shape.

The information is based around a charger unit I have for the iPhone, it was supplied with two interface leads, one for 3G/ 3GS and one for 2G/ Earlier - Mike

Now that information makes the problem even stranger, because the one thing the tom-tom kit does do is charge the phone. The phone will not sync (dock and allow information transfer) with the car kit. When I had seen your remarks I was afraid if I sent the phone in for repair ($55 for connector replacement) it would do no good if the tom-tom kit requires a specific connector.

If you have any more specific information about the iPhone 2G and the connector it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the quick reply,

Ray

The connector is the same in both cases but the position of the connection strip is slightly different between the 2 and 3G/ 3GS units on is set slightly closer to the front of the iPhone than the other - Mike

Thanks for the information Mike. I guess it is time to find a different iPhone. I may try cleaning the connector again. It just seems odd it powers the phone fine but just won?t let the car kit to communicate with it. I noticed when the phone is docked only the ringer audio can be heard. All other audio, i.e. music, movies is muted.

Ask a Question