TomTom car charger on Razr

I never bought a car charger for my Razr, does anyone know if the TomTom car charger will safely charge the Razr. The TomTom outputs 2 amps and the Razr AC charger outputs 500mA at 5 volts

I don't know why it wouldn't. I charge the TT 720 from a USB port and my RAZR from a USB port. The only reason it wouldn't is an internal regulator on the device itself for voltage needed.

I don't know why it wouldn't. I charge the TT 720 from a USB port and my RAZR from a USB port. The only reason it wouldn't is an internal regulator on the device itself for voltage needed.

It is really stupid how they set these phones up. On windows you need a driver to charge the phone. It'll just work on a Mac though.

Some 5V USB car chargers have output of 500 Amps, some 1000 Amps. I'd think twice before using a car charger over 2 Amps which is the standard DC current for TT720.

If I remember my physics right, volts is strength, and amps is capacity.

When matching DC chargers, I have always chosen a charger that has the same volts as the device being charged, and has an amps (or watts) rating equal or higher than the device being charged. So a razr should be chargeable with the tomtom charger.

Charging Razr

Moto uses a specific resistor on the 5th pin of the mini USB connector on their charging cables. If this pin is not connected (as in a standard USB cable) or has the wrong value of resistance, the RAZR will report "Unauthorized Charger" and refuse to take a charge. If the RAZR finds itself talking to a computer with the MOTO driver installed, it will go ahead and accept the charge from the standard (well regulated) USB port. This is Moto's way of protecting themselves from possibly out of spec generic car and AC supplies. It also helps to ensure profits from their own proprietary car and AC chargers.

Ask a Question