TomTom and Tyre

I like to use Tyre for the process of creating my routes because it, the route, can be changed into a different road group that TomTom creates. I have been attaching the Tyre route to TomTom, but while it is installed, during the TT drive, it automatically puts forward changes.....that are not needed.

I've tried to have Tyre address the issue ... with no reply ... so am wondering if any TT folks can help.

I have the XXL version; and is used via our automobile ... no cycle usage.

Is there a way to change the TT process so that it will accept the Tyre.....
or.......
is there a way to set TT settings so that if I want to make a change to the TT created route, it will accept it. Right now, the TT is having the Tyre passed over ... is connected .... appearing to be OK .... but when in action, overrides everything .... getting me lost.

Thanks....hope this makes sense ....
CT

And you are executing your itinerary by using the "Itinerary planning" button, and the problem is that your TomTom is deviating from the route you expect, but still taking you to all of your waypoints listed in the itinerary?

You have be lost with 'Itinerary planning' ... I have no idea what that is ... nor how it would be in my problem.

But the part about 'deviating' ... if that is same as 'changing' ... I presume that could be replied 'yes'.

But, now preparing a response, I may have arrived that I have been stupid .... for a senior fellow that is 74 years old;;;;;;;so here goes.

I now realize that, what I did the other day, was that I had created (using Tyre) my version of MY chosen route, rather than what TT would do. TT seems to always head toward big and crowded highways..... and I, as an old fellow use Tyre first, so that I can design my choice.

So ... that worked perfect, and got me into the CROWDED part of the city.... and we eventually were done.......so we (or 'I') chose to go home......simple....... forgetting that TT 'might' head for other roads.

However, it did follow us into the earlier chosen roads ...... but ..... and here is the problem ..... rather than following the route I was on, which was used coming in ... it .... TT .... TRIED to change me to other roads. I caught several of them, and ignored them ... but toward the end of that it chose another one, and I 'gave up' and let it guide me.

So....in a nutshell .... it seems that I failed to use a Tyre designed 'going home' program.
BOY .... how stupid.

But, I now realize that I had a Tyre 'back home' in TT's file.....and it appears to have not been shown.
Could that have been possible ???????????????????? If so, what should I do in the future.

Again, it is the TT XXL version.

And finally.....is it possible that the TT route design can be changed??? In Tyre, that is easy as heck; thus that's why I like it. TT seems to be 'one way or no way'.

Thanks
CT
Texas

PS: I apologize for wasting your time....but I appreciate your help ! ! !

And you are executing your itinerary by using the "Itinerary planning" button, and the problem is that your TomTom is deviating from the route you expect, but still taking you to all of your waypoints listed in the itinerary?

Last edited:
Trace Your Route Everywhere was developped by Jan Boersma to make an itinerary for a multi-stop route to be followed at leisure not the fastest or shortest route possible.
If an itinerary route is created with TYRE that file must be saved with the extension .itn .
Older TomToms can import that itinerary and lead to those different stops, waypoints one by one but, depending on the option chosen in TomTom it may decide the fastest route between current position (last point) and the next point or it may go the shortest route. Neither of these may necessarily be the one chosen when the itinerary was made originally but it will faithfully go to all the points selected.

Although I use TYRE for renaming my POIs or moving the exact spot where I want them to be, I do not use the programme for trip planning.
For that I strictly stay with Google maps and I start a new POI Category where I enter the points as POIs.
In Google map one can select 'Get directions' to the next place and keep on adding places.

An example, I selected Ely, NV to Klamath Falls, OR* via Winnemuca as a waypoint.
http://goo.gl/maps/qfXXq
With driving that much one day while on vacation I changed my mind and want to go via Reno to stay the night instead. Drag the waypoint to Reno and a new itinerary is made http://goo.gl/maps/1HVBx.
Give the maps a minute to redraw.

(Google screwed up and I filed a Problem report. I really wanted to got as point D in the map to Chiloquin, OR for the Triennial at Trainmountain but the map decided that endpoint is somewhat south of Independence, KS.)

To go forward, let us know what you have done on TYRE and how TomTom differs from that planning.
You can always post the URL of your TYRE screen here so we can follow.

Quite possibly in a nutshell ... TYRE does NOT create routes, only points to visit. Only a TomTom creates routes. All you can do with tools like TYRE is create a series of points you want to hit. What does that mean in practice?

If those points were fairly well spread out (say, one every 10 miles) along a frontage road next to a super highway, if you pick 'fastest route' for your routing method, your TomTom will assume you'll make better time on the highway, and keep taking you to exit ramps, to the frontage road to hit your point, then back to the highway, etc etc etc to reach all of those points on the frontage road. The ONLY way to force a TomTom to follow a very specific route is to pile in the points close enough together that it gives up trying to find faster ways of connecting the dots. In short, you need enough dots to overcome the speed advantage of some other route. Does that make sense?

Sometimes, this can be overcome by selecting SHORTEST route in the route planning option, causing your TomTom to take the most direct route between each of your points, requiring you to use less of them to force it to a route you prefer.

Sorry of being late; medical issue. But now back home, and hope to have another chance.

TYRE, a little while ago (as noted), came up with a way to use 'waypoint' and 'point of interest'. Back home from hospital, I began to test; the result was that I successful ... PTL!
What I was working on ... was to take the trip to doctor again soon, and avoid routes on highways that basically increases the total mile number ... and on highway that one has to pay $$.
As I (first) tried TRYEs change, I was successful with my chosen roads 100%; even had the process copy onto my TomTom XXL. WHOOPEE ! !

Then got notice that doctor had moved; and I should delete the one above, and make new one.
BUMMER...forgot to make note on how I had been successful ... and not grasping it at this time.
I 'think' I used TYREs 'waypoint' ... but not sure.

Please help me with an in-depth detailed of it all, so that I can have wife copy for future.
What I am after is to do it thru TYREs wonderful project; with having the route go where I choose, rather than the 'automatic' process.
I do recall that I had to setup the route as travel ... not one that stop now and then....

Thanks ! ! ! ! ! !

PS: If I do not make sense above, and if needed, am willing to call on telephone; America; not England..
;;;;;;;;;strokes are not good for one to have.

Trace Your Route Everywhere was developped by Jan Boersma to make an itinerary for a multi-stop route to be followed at leisure not the fastest or shortest route possible.
If an itinerary route is created with TYRE that file must be saved with the extension .itn .
Older TomToms can import that itinerary and lead to those different stops, waypoints one by one but, depending on the option chosen in TomTom it may decide the fastest route between current position (last point) and the next point or it may go the shortest route. Neither of these may necessarily be the one chosen when the itinerary was made originally but it will faithfully go to all the points selected.
Although I use TYRE for renaming my POIs or moving the exact spot where I want them to be, I do not use the programme for trip planning.
For that I strictly stay with Google maps and I start a new POI Category where I enter the points as POIs.
In Google map one can select 'Get directions' to the next place and keep on adding places.
An example, I selected Ely, NV to Klamath Falls, OR* via Winnemuca as a waypoint.
http://goo.gl/maps/qfXXq
With driving that much one day while on vacation I changed my mind and want to go via Reno to stay the night instead. Drag the waypoint to Reno and a new itinerary is made http://goo.gl/maps/1HVBx.
Give the maps a minute to redraw.
(Google screwed up and I filed a Problem report. I really wanted to got as point D in the map to Chiloquin, OR for the Triennial at Trainmountain but the map decided that endpoint is somewhat south of Independence, KS.)
To go forward, let us know what you have done on TYRE and how TomTom differs from that planning.
You can always post the URL of your TYRE screen here so we can follow.

In order to force a route to go exactly where you wish, it is necessary to include enough waypoints with TYRE that your TomTom doesn't instead try to route you in a manner that it thinks is better. For example, if you route for 'shortest' distance, your TomTom will keep trying to find shorter ways to get between your waypoints. If you route for 'fastest' route, your TomTom will keep trying to find the fastest way to get between your waypoints. So the idea is to create enough of them that no alternative route looks good to the TomTom.

As an example, and a very difficult one ... if you wish to take a slow road that is parallel to a fast highway, if you place waypoints on the slower road far apart, you should never use 'fastest' route because your TomTom will take you back to the fast road when it can do so in order to speed up your journey. Usually, the smart idea is to set your TomTom to 'shortest' route, and then place enough waypoints using TYRE to make sure it stays with your plan. You save the results as an *.itn (itinerary) file with TYRE. You are allowed as many as 48 points in an *.itn itinerary file. If for some unlikely reason that is not enough, you can create multiple 48 waypoint itineraries and execute the itineraries in sequence. Once one is complete, you can execute another that starts where the first left off.

You save the *.itn file in the folder by that name in your TomTom, and go to the menu item for itineraries and load it and run it. The part of the filename before the *.itn is how the itinerary will be named on your unit (e.g., a file called somewhere.itn will appear as itinerary "somewhere" on your unit).

Let me know if that made sense to you!

THANK YOU.... VERY MUCH for reply; I appreciate it ! ! !

Yes, I did the process whereby I placed 'Waypoint' here-n-there so that the route would be followed. That was one of the 'very important' things I did in my first try.

Llast night, I tried to do the 'new' one for the new doctor place, and while I thought I had got them there when 'through' ... the transfer into my 2nd attempt ... was only 'Temporary' words posted, none of the 'Itinerary' file.
Without it, I could do nothing into my XXL TomTom that was useful.

So, with that, it is appearance that I did that part OK ... but forgot the other steps. Tried to find how ... with no luck;;; "old stroke fellow problem".
With the inter-connected TYRE lists, I tried several 'Converts', 'Mark' this, etc, etc.;;; with no luck to be successful as I was with my first attempt......still there, but is not the one now needed.
THANKS AGAIN ! ! !

In order to force a route to go exactly where you wish, it is necessary to include enough waypoints with TYRE that your TomTom doesn't instead try to route you in a manner that it thinks is better. For example, if you route for 'shortest' distance, your TomTom will keep trying to find shorter ways to get between your waypoints. If you route for 'fastest' route, your TomTom will keep trying to find the fastest way to get between your waypoints. So the idea is to create enough of them that no alternative route looks good to the TomTom.

As an example, and a very difficult one ... if you wish to take a slow road that is parallel to a fast highway, if you place waypoints on the slower road far apart, you should never use 'fastest' route because your TomTom will take you back to the fast road when it can do so in order to speed up your journey. Usually, the smart idea is to set your TomTom to 'shortest' route, and then place enough waypoints using TYRE to make sure it stays with your plan. You save the results as an *.itn (itinerary) file with TYRE. You are allowed as many as 48 points in an *.itn itinerary file. If for some unlikely reason that is not enough, you can create multiple 48 waypoint itineraries and execute the itineraries in sequence. Once one is complete, you can execute another that starts where the first left off.

You save the *.itn file in the folder by that name in your TomTom, and go to the menu item for itineraries and load it and run it. The part of the filename before the *.itn is how the itinerary will be named on your unit (e.g., a file called somewhere.itn will appear as itinerary "somewhere" on your unit).

Let me know if that made sense to you!

WELL ; ; ; ; ; ;finally discovered what the problem is ..... folks typing something about their TomTom......NOT THE XXL version ..... fail tremendously of not realizing that others, like the XXL .... is not a simple .itn ! ! !.

THAT PROBLEM IS IN SEVERAL PLACES THAT 'POP-UP' WHEN i ASKED; AND NO POSTING SPECIFIED TOMTOM itinerary file.
Instead the TYRE connection initially chose is TYRE itinerary file .

Big difference.

So my problem is now back in order; and surely hate missing it on my earlier focus before my stroke.
HALLEYUEEEEEEEEE ! ! ! ! !

THANK YOU.... VERY MUCH for reply; I appreciate it ! ! !

Yes, I did the process whereby I placed 'Waypoint' here-n-there so that the route would be followed. That was one of the 'very important' things I did in my first try.

Llast night, I tried to do the 'new' one for the new doctor place, and while I thought I had got them there when 'through' ... the transfer into my 2nd attempt ... was only 'Temporary' words posted, none of the 'Itinerary' file.
Without it, I could do nothing into my XXL TomTom that was useful.

So, with that, it is appearance that I did that part OK ... but forgot the other steps. Tried to find how ... with no luck;;; "old stroke fellow problem".
With the inter-connected TYRE lists, I tried several 'Converts', 'Mark' this, etc, etc.;;; with no luck to be successful as I was with my first attempt......still there, but is not the one now needed.
THANKS AGAIN ! ! !

Did I miss something in Post #9? Create *.itn file for your TomTom using TYRE. Copy *.itn file to /itn folder on TomTom. Execute it.

When you use TYRE and create a route, then go to save the route as a file, you must select a file format for your work. One of the options is clearly TomTom Itinerary Files! Only that method creates an *.itn. Selecting TYRE Itinerary files creates something called a *.trf file -- not what we've been talking about.

When using TYRE to name it, their access is under the 'SAVE' area; and in it comes a 'not cleared mark' list; with their version automatically there.
Today I had a weak, but good clue, to investigate....and sure enough, in their list, is the TOMTOM Itinerary version .
If anything, they ... TYRE ... should (somehow) make the lists ... about 8-9 as I recall ... more notable .

I was not pointing to you by any manner .... just trying to get relief a bit.
Right now I am involved in making a big paper clue on my desk, so that I see it when I make another TYRE trip created.....to miss heavy roads, etc.

Thanks for your helps ! ! ! 'Old fellow' here in Texas is happy now that he can once again ... not be lost.
Chuck

Did I miss something in Post #9? Create *.itn file for your TomTom using TYRE. Copy *.itn file to /itn folder on TomTom. Execute it.

When you use TYRE and create a route, then go to save the route as a file, you must select a file format for your work. One of the options is clearly TomTom Itinerary Files! Only that method creates an *.itn. Selecting TYRE Itinerary files creates something called a *.trf file -- not what we've been talking about.

'Lost' is rarely fun. Glad you got it sorted. Was just wondering if I should have found a way to be more explicit. TYRE does indeed have the ability to save a route in MANY formats for different purposes.

Hang on to that old XXL! Newer units still don't have the ability to put together a nifty itinerary of the sort you just created for yourself.

When using TYRE to name it, their access is under the 'SAVE' area; and in it comes a 'not cleared mark' list; with their version automatically there.
Today I had a weak, but good clue, to investigate....and sure enough, in their list, is the TOMTOM Itinerary version .
If anything, they ... TYRE ... should (somehow) make the lists ... about 8-9 as I recall ... more notable .
I guess we misunderstood as you were saying in post #3 that you were using the .itn file.

Right now I am involved in making a big paper clue on my desk, so that I see it when I make another TYRE trip created.....to miss heavy roads, etc.
Chuck,
May I make another suggestion for getting the waypoints for your TYRE made .itn file.

Open Google maps and select your starting point, either by address or by right clicking and in the pop up 'Directions from here'.
Next, right click at the point where you want to make your next turn and select 'Directions to here'.
Now click on Add destination in the left margin, and right click on the next turn wanted.
Click on Add destination in the pop up, and repeat as needed.
Caution: in the sample below Google decided the shortest route between points F and G was to take US79.
I put the mouse on that section and a little circle shows with the box "Drag to change route".
I dragged it onto the 404 as seen.
(Some times Google will only change part of the route as it is faster from another intersection. In that case the destination of the segment must be brought back to where it becomes acceptable.)

When the route is done, open TYRE in a separate tab enlarge the Google map so you can be precise on which side of the street the mouse pointer is, right click, click "What's here?" and copy and paste the coordinates from the top to Tyre.
Make sure you use every step in proper sequence.

http://goo.gl/maps/QeLzk

This does require some patience too but I prefere it to using paper.

AR: I appreciate your message very much ! !
Case you missed it, I recently had a serious brain stroke; am almost 75 of age. ...but ain't gonna quite.

What I see in your presentation, is the same process type I have with TYRE.
If I had a way here, I'd send a copy if wanted. But don't know how to do-so here.
Chuck

I guess we misunderstood as you were saying in post #3 that you were using the .itn file.
Chuck,
May I make another suggestion for getting the waypoints for your TYRE made .itn file.
Open Google maps and select your starting point, either by address or by right clicking and in the pop up 'Directions from here'.
Next, right click at the point where you want to make your next turn and select 'Directions to here'.
Now click on Add destination in the left margin, and right click on the next turn wanted.
Click on Add destination in the pop up, and repeat as needed.
Caution: in the sample below Google decided the shortest route between points F and G was to take US79.
I put the mouse on that section and a little circle shows with the box "Drag to change route".
I dragged it onto the 404 as seen.
(Some times Google will only change part of the route as it is faster from another intersection. In that case the destination of the segment must be brought back to where it becomes acceptable.)
When the route is done, open TYRE in a separate tab enlarge the Google map so you can be precise on which side of the street the mouse pointer is, right click, click "What's here?" and copy and paste the coordinates from the top to Tyre.
Make sure you use every step in proper sequence.
http://goo.gl/maps/QeLzk
This does require some patience too but I prefere it to using paper.

Well I am having a bit of a fiasco with itineraries on my 930.
I made a new one with TYRE between two distant points and saved it but I cannot run it as a demo.
When selecting the itn it gives me a route from current location to final destination of the itn.

I had not made an tinerary since before June 2012 when I was forced from OS 8,302 (reverted) to 9.430 to download my paid for quarterly map installment. I am now on 9.510.

I also noted that Start, Destination and Waypoints in TYRE must be entered by clicking a point on the map rather than selecting the next waypoint by typing the address.
The itn made can be sent to the connected device or Home.

Can anyone shed some light on this matter.
(So far for me trying to help someone else!)

Good morning Arno; hope your day is as good as mine was recently.
You seem to indicate in the message (below) of a problem; regarding entry or address.
The up-n-down yellow thing, between files and picture; address goes there; and it is saved for future as needed. Once typed in, the location is immediately posted. All first thing is you hold end of computer hand to get it ready for what you want to be visible. Hope this helps.
Chuck

Well I am having a bit of a fiasco with itineraries on my 930.
I made a new one with TYRE between two distant points and saved it but I cannot run it as a demo.
When selecting the itn it gives me a route from current location to final destination of the itn.

I had not made an tinerary since before June 2012 when I was forced from OS 8,302 (reverted) to 9.430 to download my paid for quarterly map installment. I am now on 9.510.

I also noted that Start, Destination and Waypoints in TYRE must be entered by clicking a point on the map rather than selecting the next waypoint by typing the address.
The itn made can be sent to the connected device or Home.

Can anyone shed some light on this matter.
(So far for me trying to help someone else!)

Chuck,
This post is mostly for the benefit of others who may have followed the thread and maybe for myself too if I can get advice.

The problem I have is that I don't remember how to run an itinerary between 2 distant points in Demo mod as I would have liked to test the route to see the TomTom is not taking any 'faster' shoet cuts getting you onto roads you want to avoid.
I found however that I could make a printout of only the turn-by-turn instructions between your home and hospital.
I only had to page down 3 times to get to your vicinity as there are mostly Interstates for the first 1600 miles from here and made a screen print of the 14 turns in question. (Sent)

Ask a Question