TOMTOM and sunlight !!!

Hi. Can anyone tell me how they get round the problem of sun glare on their tomtom. While mine is on the window and it sunny, sometimes you cant see the screen. Is this a common problem and is there an answer ?

Seems a common issue on most, if not all, TT models. Some use mounts that attach to a vent so that the unit is below the dash and reflects less sun. Others will place the unit at the top of the headliner near the rear view mirrow so that the roof of the vehicle helps block the sun. And it is possible to buy anti-glare shields which help somewhat.

Also, check in the Preferences that your Day-Color Brightness is set at 100%.

The new GO1000 and 2000 models have a much brighter screen, but the downside is that it is a lot more prone to reflections.

For all the other models, in the early days of TomToms there were quite a few sun-shades for sale, but you don't hear of them so much these days for some reason.
I remember one of the best of them was called the "GlareStomper". It attached with Velcro and folded up flat.

A quick Google of that name reveals they are still in business.
Have a look here Glarestomper

While it will still reflect bright sun from a light colored shirt at times, I find this lower mounting location resolved a great deal of my problem, kept my unit from being cooked in the sun, and kept it from interested eyes.

If you have a similar band around that part of your dashboard, it's worth a try, and if not, the recommendations for mounting lower (on a vent, perhaps) with a different mounting kit are worth a look.

Attachments

• tomtom below dash.jpg
    tomtom below dash.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 406

Ask a Question