Tomtom 950?

Hi, I am looking a buying a Tomtom gps navigation system, and have seen advertisements for a 930 and a 950. I have had a hard time finding reasonably detailed specs and comparisons though, so I'd appreciate some comments.
First, a little intro: I live in New Zealand at the moment, but in a little over a year I will be moving to Denmark, so would like a system I can eventually use there too.

In New Zealand it appears that both these systems come with NZ maps, and Europe maps.

Is it possible to update the maps via the internet? Is this a free service, or does it cost?

Do both these systems accept SD cards, and can I use the system to broadcast music from the SD card to my car stereo? Are they SD or micro SD?

Do both systems offer bluetooth for handsfree telephone use?

Is there a "950" and a "950 LIVE"? What is the difference?

Thanks for any help,
Peter

The 950 sold in both New Zealand and Denmark is the non Live version so it it doesn't have the Live services available, it doesn't have an mp3 player or the FM Tx, the supplied mount doesn't have the audio line output socket so you need to purchase another mount with the extra connectors on it. For expansion the x50 range use the MicroSD cards up to and including 32GB capacity.

The 930 does have the mp3 player and FM Tx capability and uses SD cards upto and including 32GB in capacity.

Live services are only available in certain countries, where these are available TomTom sell Live devices which contain a mobile phone sim card and GPRS modem used to comunicate with the servers at TomTom for various subscription based services.

Maps can be purchased from TomTom and installed to your device either residing on the memory card or the internal memory.

If the ability to play music to your car system is important go for the 930 - Mike

Thanks very much for the answer. I had convinced myself that the 950 had an mp3 and FM transmission.

I think I read somewhere that one of them could integrate with an ipod - is this correct? Can you plug an ipod into the gps unit, and have it broadcast music from the ipod to the car radio?

Thanks, Peter

Well anyway - what I've found out is that the 930 appears to be completely sold out in NZ. Must be a really popular unit! At least 2-4 weeks away, and I need a nav system before then. So I guess I'll find a real cheap alternative which I'll ditch in a year's time.
Thanks, Peter

Peter you could always purchase a 930 or 730 from the UK which has the European maps installed then purchase the NZ map and add it it to the device.
As music playback is important to you any of the following models have the ability to play mp3 files stored on the device, and/ or by connecting an iPOD to the device via an accessory cable.

910 (Built in 20GB Hard Drive, for FM Tx requires special cradle - obscolete)
520 (accepts up to 32GB SD card, built in FM Tx and iPOD connection)
720 (accepts up to 32GB SD card, built in FM Tx and iPOD connection)
920 (accepts up to 32GB SD card, built in FM Tx and iPOD connection)
530 (accepts up to 32GB SD card, built in FM Tx and iPOD connection)
730 (accepts up to 32GB SD card, built in FM Tx and iPOD connection)
930 (accepts up to 32GB SD card, built in FM Tx and iPOD connection)
940 (accepts up to 32GB MicroSD card, built in FM Tx but iPOD connection is only available with the purchase of an accessory mount).

The current move by TomTom seems to be moving away from mp3 player capability and FM Tx, this started with the launch of the x40 range where only the 940 has the capability, with the recent release of the x50 range non of the current high end TomTom's have built in mp3 or FM Tx or iPOD control which is a real shame, I think your best bet will be to do what you mentioned, go and purchase something cheap for using over the next few months, when you move to Europe have another look around at whats available.

Another reason to not purchase the high end hardware in NZ or Aus is the slightly down sized amount of internal memory fitted to some of the device which would complicate installation of the much larger European maps at a later date - Mike

are the 920 & 930 identical as far as hardware? Finding it very hard to find a 930, might have to buy a refurb 920 instead. I want the FM tx. thanks

Other than the 930 having a different colur bezel, the 920 and 930 are the same hardware wise, yes.

are the 920 & 930 identical as far as hardware? Finding it very hard to find a 930, might have to buy a refurb 920 instead. I want the FM tx. thanks

the only thing with a refurbished is that you are not entitled to the 30 day latest map guarantee

woohoo! Bought a 920T "used" for A$270 on ebay and it finally arrived and it is Brand New Sealed in Box... :D

Now you have your "new toy" make a full backup using WIndows Explorer BEFORE you do anything else with it (nice choice of device at a reasonable price BTW) - Mike

no need to back it up (unless you want your favorites saved). I just find it easier to format the tomtom storage area fat32 and then connect to tomtom home and it automatically downloads the software and maps.

no need to back it up (unless you want your favorites saved). I just find it easier to format the tomtom storage area fat32 and then connect to tomtom home and it automatically downloads the software and maps.

Huh? heh I chuckled at that comment :) You must not know TomTom! :eek: ALWAYS backup a TomTom, especially a new(or used) unit that you just received for the first time in case anything gets screwed up during the update process, which DOES happen often. Uhh... I meant every now and then :p

Last edited:

Ask a Question