TOMTOM 930 freezes Up

I reciently bought a tomtom 930 I know this is the 920 forum but there are no entries for the go930 yet with it being new to the market.

I hope the support team reads this and can check into the problems that I am having. I reciently did the software upgrade to my device it was working fine before I did the upgrade, now it seems to lock up all the time and also it will reboot on it's own after I have shut it down. In many cases it freezes up and I have to reset it, seems like 3 or 4 times a week latley. It is frustrating to have to do this and to have all this happening. With the money I paid for it I expect it to work without so many problems.

Is there a way to reformat the go930 drive and reinstall everything? will that fix my problem? Is there going to be a patch to help fix these problems? I have already tried uninstalling the upgrade and reinstalling but did not fix it...please help! confused:

Welcome,

Did your 930 come originally with navcore 8.002 ?....I assume it did if you did and upgrade.

I assume, you upgraded to navecore 8.010 ?

If so, I would guess that is your problem....many of us have had nothing but problems from the 8.010 so-called-upgrade.

Did you make a backup of your 930 before the update ?....if so, reinstall the backup.

Problems like this is the reason for the backup....If you don't have the backup....post back.

PSJ aka Marc

Using " My Computer....Windows Explorer "....up at the top under tools....folder options....view....hidden files and folders....check the box....show hidden files and folders....apply....ok.

Using My Computer....open your 930's root folder

Here is a link to the original Navcore 8.002....download....unzip....copy and paste the files into your 930's root folder.

They will over-write the upgraded 8.010 and return your 930 to the 8.002 Navecore.

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_8.002.9117.gox30.cab

Keep this in mind....DON'T upgrade your Navcore....stay with the 8.002 for now !

PSJ aka Marc

Last edited:
Keep this in mind....DON'T upgrade your Navcore....stay with the 8.002 for now !.
Why?
Got mine end of May with 8.002. Upgraded to 8.010 first week of June.
Except for not getting ALG on the NA map, which Support confirmed in writing is because of my map, I have no problems with that NavCore.

Why?
Got mine end of May with 8.002. Upgraded to 8.010 first week of June.
Except for not getting ALG on the NA map, which Support confirmed in writing is because of my map, I have no problems with that NavCore.

As for 8.010

I should point this out....I saw no noticable difference in any of the navcore functions and options....so no real advantage in moving away from 8.002.

You're one on the lucky one's....Just read the many GPS forums on the net....Many, many TomTom owner's are having many problems with 8.010....8.011....8.051. ( now it does seem to effect the GO series more than the other models )

Roboots....coming on by itself....lock-up's, etc.

NONE of the so called fix's worked....clear-flash....clear route....re-install the navcore....re-install the map....disable bluetooth....adding the poweroff file to the root folder....turning off the device before removing it from the dock....I'm sure I'm missing a couple of other so-called-fix's....But I've tried them all and not one of them fixed the problem.

The only fix was to re-install the navcore 8.002.

Now for the ALG

Are you sure or do you mean....ALG just doesn't work in your area ?....Many areas are not covered by ALG....( but if your running a version of Navcore 8 and your running a version 8 map....your TomTom should be capable of ALG....as long as your in an area that is covered by ALG.

I have a 930 and ALG WORKS great on my NA map....I had the NA 800 and then the 805 NA map and now have the NA 810 map and the ALG worked great on all the maps !

ALG worked great even using navcore 8.002....8.010.....8.011....8.051.

Just my view....backed up with experience on the 8.010 :)

PSJ aka Marc

Last edited:
As for 8.010.
ALG worked perfectly well with that in the UK.
I saw no noticable difference in any of the navcore functions and options....so no real advantage in moving away from 8.002.
No ALG icon on any of thes creens.
Now for the ALG
Are you sure or do you mean....ALG just doesn't work in your area ?....Many areas are not covered by ALG....( but if your running a version of Navcore 8 and your running a version 8 map....your TomTom should be capable of ALG....as long as your in an area that is covered by ALG.
PSJ aka Marc.
There was something here, here and here, starting with post # 31.

I just bought a 930 yesterday and it locked up twice today. I made the mistake of upgrading it as soon as I got it. I'm glad I found this site! I'm downgrading now.

I just bought a 930 yesterday and it locked up twice today. I made the mistake of upgrading it as soon as I got it. I'm glad I found this site! I'm downgrading now.
I don't know why you posted that (except for venting frustration).
You don't say whether you are talking about the NavCore or the map.
You don't say with what version it came, to which you upgraded or
to which you are now downgrading.

Please explain what you did to overcome the problem.
You may help the next person running into the same situation.
Cheers,

I don't know why you posted that (except for venting frustration).
You don't say whether you are talking about the NavCore or the map.
You don't say with what version it came, to which you upgraded or
to which you are now downgrading.

Please explain what you did to overcome the problem.
You may help the next person running into the same situation.
Cheers,

I'm having the same problems as the other members, this time with a GO 730. I've tried everything; resetting factory settings, deleting everything using TomTom Home, but the problems persist. I'm resetting mine practically each time I turn it on - if I can find the right moment to do so before it switches itself off and enters an endless reboot loop, or feezes up just after entering the password. Other times it works fine. I'm going to download the flash_clear tool, because the symptoms my 730 suffer from points to the overstocked flash memory. I, too, upgraded to the latest navcore version, and that's the moment the problems started. Settings changes (voices, TomTom Jukebox in the quick menu list in Driving view, map colours, GPS Quickfix, etc) work fine until it's time to switch the machine back on the next time I use it. Then they're messed up or missing.

I use the FM transmitter to send voice instructions and iPod music to the radio, but sometimes I find that the GO won't send music to the radio. Connection, manipulation of tracks etc. on the GO, pause and play on the iPod, even the music advance bar on the play screen, all work perfectly: just no sound! MP3's in the GO's memory play no problem, however, and voice instructions too. Also a navcore problem? As an aside, why oh why does TomTom sell such a crappy iPod connect cable? In FM sound mode, the hissing, popping and crackling, produced by the static around the cable, makes such a din that I can hardly hear the music at times. Just passing your hand close to the cables, or touching them, either fixes the problem, or makes it worse. Surely a shielded cable would have been better?

DO try the ClearFlash tool. The link is here: http://us.support.tomtom.com/cgi-bin/tomtom_us.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6211&Lid=4

If that doesn't work, try a pin reset.
When I couldn't get computer voices to work I tried the pin reset and it didn't change anything.
An answer to a Support question was to use the ClearFlash tool. That didn't do anything.
Calling support I was asked to use HOME to download and install 8.010 (which was on the machine).
She then stayed on the line while I removed the 930 from the cradle and tested that the computer voice worked OK.

I am mentioning the above as an additional possibility.

I was getting endless reboots on my ONE XL when the files on the internal memory were becoming corrupted more and more. I formatted the device completely and started out with an blank empty unit, then I let Home reinstall everything from scratch, including the map. Like new.

Here is that thread. My map wasn't the only thing corrupted. The OS was too, and so was a backup I had. That's why I let Home install everything fresh on its own.

http://tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=11521

Last edited:
Do you make your backups using Home? You shouldn't. Use Explorer and ensure hidden files/folders are showing as are extensions for known file types.

I had a similar problem. It turned out a file on the internal memory had become corrupted. To solve this, I used the "Disk Utility" on my Mac to do a repair of the internal drive, since then no problems.

I've read the handsfree option and the RDS-TMC receiver can cause a corrupted file. For now I just don't use handsfree since it stinks anyway.

For PC users, you can try this fix by running chkdsk /f on your drive.

Ask a Question