TomTom 910 problem - PLEASE Help

Hi everyone,

I am new here, and I have a problem I hope you can help with.

I have the 910. I got it in July 2007 and it has worked great. I have 2 windshield mounts - the one that came with it that I use in my personal car, and the FM Modulator one I use in my work vehicle. Each morning, I take it out of my personal car and put it in my work car. At night, it stays in my personal car - plugged in, on the mount. (green light on)
This morning I switched it to the other car as usual and came out a few minutes later and it was off. I turned it back on, it booted up, and showed a low battery indicator in the bottom right hand corner of the screen and then shut down. I turned it back on, same thing. I let it charge for a while (green light was on) and tried again with the same result. Can anyone help? Even if the battery is dead,it should run off the power going to the mount, I would think. :confused:

Oh,and now it won't even turn on.

Last edited:
Sounds like the battery took a crap. I suggest not leaving it on the base/charger all night long every night as you say you have been doing. Now the battery took a crap. I had a similar problem with my battery and needed to send it back to TomTom.

Call them, explain your problem and get an RMA #. You will have to pay shipping to them, yes the inconvenience sux but you will get it back in about a week, I did. Haven't had that problem since.

Doesn't make sense why it wouldnt run on the power plug power, though.

I sent customer support an email, hoping for a reply. I REALLY dread having to send it off, not to mention I have several hundred MP3's on it.

This stinks. I have only had it for a few months. :mad:

If the unit is dead, can you dock it and show a green light indicated a charge?
if so, try to leave it for four hours only. Yes be strict on this.

Do not use the mount and car charger as a way of charing the unit. It doesn't work.

I hope TomTom gets back to you.

Yes, when I put it on the mount in either car the green light comes on.
They are the only way I can charge it. When I got the unit, the power plug for home use was the wrong one. I emailed TomTom support and never got a response.

Yeah I suggest to call to get a HOME dock replacement. That is the recommended method to charge it.

Here's the latest....

After 2 postings for support and no response other than suggestions to reset the unit, I called them on the phone. They immediately sent me the correct power adaptor and emailed a RMA to me to send the unit back. I sent it and got it back yesterday. They sent me a refurbished unit that appears to work fine.

I hooked it to my computer, and the new version of HOME downloaded right away. I reinstalled the voice I purchased from them. HOME says I have the most updated map, but it doesnt have my home address, and my old unit did :confused:

Now I have to put my customized splash screen and the 400 mp3's onto the new unit. :eek:

But, I will say, the phone customer service was very helpful compared to the email support (or lack thereof).

I've had my Go910 for about a year and have enjoyed every minute.

Now I get the same as Dave. I assumed it was because I had left it in the car and hadn't turned it off and had run the battery down. So I charged it on the home dock (overnight - oops?) but it still showed no charge in the battery.

So I spent $66.00 to get a new battery, which was fitted last night. Then charged it at home, and it will not charge.

Worse, on the home dock, (whether connected to the computer or not) with the green light on, it will not stay on. It shuts down before I can take a look at anything. Highly frustrating. Leads me to think it might not be a dead battery, rather it might be something stupid with the new software?

I'm not interested in going through 20 steps to correct - which I can't do in any case if they thing won't turn on.

I've sent an email, but that appears to be a waste of time. I'll give the AUS people a call.

Dave my original unit came with 650 maps until TomTom had the free map offer to upgrade to 665 a year ago. When I had sent my 910 for repair, it came back with 650 maps again. Im not sure if you previously had the 665 maps as I had purchased my unit over a year ago and they soon started to have the 910 units with the 665 maps already.
Do you have a backup of your original 910?
We could look to see if it had the 665 maps installed.
If this is true, you can call TT Support and explain to them your unit came with newer maps than the refurbish unit.

Dave my original unit came with 650 maps until TomTom had the free map offer to upgrade to 665 a year ago. When I had sent my 910 for repair, it came back with 650 maps again. Im not sure if you previously had the 665 maps as I had purchased my unit over a year ago and they soon started to have the 910 units with the 665 maps already.
Do you have a backup of your original 910?
We could look to see if it had the 665 maps installed.
If this is true, you can call TT Support and explain to them your unit came with newer maps than the refurbish unit.

I just called customer service (hold time - about 2 mins - WOW ! :D

They advised that their map server was down, but would be up early this coming week. They gave me a reference number, and told me that when I call back, they will get me set up with the newer map. Sweet!

Thanks for the help, Pedro. I'll let you know the outcome.

You aren't going to believe this !!!!!!!!!! :mad:

I get home from work and call TomTom support. I get "Liz" on the phone. She tells me I can "buy" the upgraded map for the 910. They no longer make the 910, so the newest map is not 7.1, it is 6.65 or something.

I can live with that, all I want is the map I had with my original unit. She has me fire up HOME and connect my 910. No problem. Then she tells me to delete my current U.S. map. Huh? I ask, are you sure???? She says yes. I delete it.

She adds the updated map to my account, and has me log off and sign back on to HOME. I do that, and it tells me there are no updates available. Ummm...

So she has me delete HOME 2.1 and download 1.5 again. I do that and run it. Same thing. She tells me to delete 1.5 and download 2.1 again. I do that, nothing.

She puts me on hold for ANOTHER 15 minutes, comes back and tells me that there is no one in "specialized support" still there, but she can have them call me tomorrow. WHAT ?!?!?! I had a working refurbished unit that was working, albeit with an old map, but now I have NOTHING. I have a black box with 1200 mp3's on it that thinks I am in Guam!!!!!!!

She says they will call me tomorrow. I plan on being in the woods hunting tomorrow. She says they will stay late to try and get it working. The other solution was so SEND IT BACK AGAIN.

I am really, truly unhappy with this.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Total time on the phone: CLOSE TO 2 HOURS

Last edited:
Dave,
Sorry to hear that.
I dont know why she asked you to delete the map. I have both North America 650 and North America 665 maps on my 910.

If the unit is dead, can you dock it and show a green light indicated a charge?
if so, try to leave it for four hours only. Yes be strict on this.

Do not use the mount and car charger as a way of charing the unit. It doesn't work.

I hope TomTom gets back to you.

I don't agree with the "do not use" above. I have often recharged my 910 that way while driving (after accidentally leaving it on) with no problems.

I do agree with the warning about overcharging though.

Only if a backup was made or the user copied the map folder by him/herself which is why I asked. If not, they are SOL.

You're right, digital-flex, and since the customer support person asked to uninstall home2 and reinstall home1.5, then there's a big chance that the maps have been deleted too.

I didn't read the post properly, my bad.

Ask a Question