Tomtom 8270 pro

TomTom Model(s)
Pro 7150
Hi Folks,
Just a quick question, can you mag mount a TT 8270 or does it need a cradle?

Cheers SB.

It comes with its own special docking unit which provides power, and without which, the microphone for voice control doesn't work.
However, the mount to which the dock is attached is a standard RAM mount, so there are other options. You would remove the existing mount from the ball that screws to the dock, and potentially replace with a different RAM mount than the usual suction cup style.
See here for similar designs >>> http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-347U-TOM1
I haven't seen anything magnetic, but they have a whole host of other options.

Attachments

• Ram Mounts.jpg
    Ram Mounts.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 357
Many thanks for the reply, that has solved one of my problems, sorry to say this but your answer has led me to another question. Does the 8720 have to be hard wired or can you power it from 12v usb?

Sorry for all the questions but I can't seem to find much info on the web.

SB.

No such thing as 12V USB. USB is always (always) 5V.
The dock requires 12V/24V and that is down-converted to 5V for powering the unit. Comes with the standard cig lighter adapter, though one could hard wire with the right connector or revisit the cig adapter. The USB connection on the dock isn't for power.

Hi,
Thanks for all the info. As you can probably tel I'm after a 7" truck nav that is portable hence the dock and power connector questions.
I've just got rid of my 7150 and decided to get a snooper 8500db pro. After only one day of use I've quickly found out it's garbage and have sent it back. So now I'm back on the hunt for a 7" truck nav and come up with the 8720pro.

Once again, thanks for your help.

SB

The PRO 8270 is a sweet unit, though it still lacks a couple of features that some of us really want. The custom POI support for the Nav4 platform isn't ready yet even for their regular line of consumer GO units, but we know for a fact that they're actively working on it (they even had a public call for beta testers in the fall). Once they get stuff ironed out for those GO units, the good results usually filter down to these PRO 'truck' units pretty quickly. The firmware update over WiFi is pretty slick, and one can only imagine that they'll be using that same kind of connectivity for all kinds of things (think sync) at some point.

Ask a Question