TomTom 720T mount suggestions for California hire car?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTomGo 720T, TomTom Navigator 6, Original TomTom Go
Hi, we're travelling to the States from the UK soon for a three week road trip in a Mustang convertible. Can anyone suggest a suitable mount for our TT720 that won't attract the attention of the local PD? :D

Cheers

Sal

Hi, we're travelling to the States from the UK soon for a three week road trip in a Mustang convertible. Can anyone suggest a suitable mount for our TT720 that won't attract the attention of the local PD? :D

Cheers

Sal

While it is technically illegal to attach it to the windshield in California and possibly one other state, for all practical purposes - it is not enforced in California and not an issue in the rest.

Your real concern should be the same as over there - theft - especially in a convertible. Also, the sun - unlike the UK - you will have to deal with that a lot - especially in the west.

I would get a foldable sun bonnet and mount it low on the left side of the car where it is very close to your line of view. You are going to find you need to keep you attention on the road more here then at home. Passing on the right is widespread, and it often rattles EU drivers. Also, use of turn signals west of the Mississippi is rare.

Thanks for that :) I've just ordered a sun shade for it, I have one for my original TomTom and it's proved invaluable (yes we occasionally see the sun here :D ). I'm not worried about driving over there, driving standards seem pretty poor everywhere so I'm used to expecting the unexpected plus the use of indicators over here has all but disappeared ;) :D

Obviously theft is a problem in a convertible so I'll stick to maps in the busier areas :)

Obviously theft is a problem in a convertible so I'll stick to maps in the busier areas :)

It's not an epidemic though... If you think you'll be parking in questionable location, just put it in the glove box a few blocks before you reach your destination.

And if you want to sound American, it's a rental car, not a "hire car". ;) You'll enjoy the Mustang convertible. It's an incredibly comfortable car to drive...

Last edited:
You should be fine with the standard mount. I also do not see it enforced here in California.

Thanks guys :) Now can anyone recommend an English to American phrase book? ;) :D

Ask a Question