TomTom 720 SD card

Copy to the /mp3 directory, yes. (After the card is "initilized" thru home - there are a few files on the root)

It appears that the SD card is simply "added" to the internal memory inside the tomtom... Have 100meg or so of MP3 on the unit, 3.5G on the SD card, a few color schemes on the card, more on the unit, some voices on each... you get the picture.

"Copy to the /mp3 directory, yes. (After the card is "initilized" thru home - there are a few files on the root)"

What does this mean? What do you do to initilize the card in home?
When you do, does it create the mp3 folder for you.

I havent done this, so maybe thats why my 128MB card is not usable.

I have tried a 16MB card, now a 128MB card, and both act the same way. The unit does not boot if away from the pc holder, with the card in. It starts then turns off during boot up.

I am still waiting for a 1gb card to arrive to try it.

TO initilize, I simply loaded up home with the card installed, switched over to the card (near the top right corner) and loaded a single MP3. I then dragged/dropped using windows explorer into the home-created MP3 directory.

sd and record voice

i notice the record voice option is greyed out when i started using the sd card. I believe it was selectable when i made the sd card contain exactly the same file as the itnernal memory.

any ideas? i remember some1 mention that the voice selection menu pops up when u power up the device with the sd card remove. it happened to me also

Another disfunctional 720

What an unfortunate problem this is.

Tried three different sd cards, three different sizes. Managed to get mp3 and photo files loaded on thru tomtom Home, but the unit immediately powers down after a power up and showing the red X.

Will see what kind of advise I get from the manufacturer tomorrow.

Only had the unit one day. Love all of the features, but it seems it may be worth spending the extra couple hundred dollars on a reliable unit from a manufacturer that has a solid reputation and many more years in the gps market.

This piece will be going back.

What an unfortunate problem this is.

Tried three different sd cards, three different sizes. Managed to get mp3 and photo files loaded on thru tomtom Home, but the unit immediately powers down after a power up and showing the red X.

Will see what kind of advise I get from the manufacturer tomorrow.

Only had the unit one day. Love all of the features, but it seems it may be worth spending the extra couple hundred dollars on a reliable unit from a manufacturer that has a solid reputation and many more years in the gps market.

This piece will be going back.

That's definitely unfortunate. I have read in other forums that the 720 isn't exactly treating SD cards well. What brands did you try, and what sizes?

I've tried Panasonic, Kingston, and Viking... 16M, 128M and 512M.

Customer support had me copy all of the stand-alone files from the TomTom root directory, copy the /bin directory, copy the LoquendoTTS directory, and create an /mp3 directory on the SD card. Now the unit does not show the red X on the sd card on power up, but still shuts down immediately after.

I then copied all of the files and directories (except the North_America_2GB directory) over to the SD card and it responds the same... no red X, but still shuts down.

I've tried Panasonic, Kingston, and Viking... 16M, 128M and 512M.

Customer support had me copy all of the stand-alone files from the TomTom root directory, copy the /bin directory, copy the LoquendoTTS directory, and create an /mp3 directory on the SD card. Now the unit does not show the red X on the sd card on power up, but still shuts down immediately after.

I then copied all of the files and directories (except the North_America_2GB directory) over to the SD card and it responds the same... no red X, but still shuts down.

I could only guess that either its the brand that's being used or the sizes not being supported.

Problem Solved

Finally got all of my sd cards to work.

All I had to do was return the tomtom and buy a garmin nuvi. :D

The TT 720 literature states and TT has confirmed that the 720 will accept and use an 8GB SD card.

Has anyone sucessfully used one on the 720?
If so, what brand?
High speed or standard speed?
Did it have to be re-formatted in order to be used?

D-F, you are probably correct about the SDHC thing. I'm not too well versed on the different types of memory cards. Although, I have learned that card slots that accept an SD card will also accept and use an MMC card.

The TomTom website, http://www.tomtom.com/products/features.php?ID=383&Category=0&Lid=4, under "Smart & Fun Extras" says:

"With MP3 player, headphone jack and an SD card slot supporting up to 8 GB of additional memory (SD card not included)."

That is the only location I have seen that mentions the size of the SD card that is accepted. I did call TomTom to verify that and the Customer Service Representative had to go check it out, but did come back and verify it.

There has also been some question as to whether or not the 720 will simultaneously use the internal 2GB of memory and an SD card's memory. TomTom verified the 720 will use both at the same time. I am still waiting on the delivery of my 720, so I am unable to give any practical information at all, only what TomTom has told me.

I have read several posts on the web that have mentioned problems with getting a memory card to work. It sounds as though some have had success by re-formatting the card and that some brands of cards seem to work better than others. So, the reporting of any success/experiences regarding SD cards would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to order an SD card so I can use it upon the arrival of my 720.

You're absolutely right, it does mention that tidbit on the site.

Well, there is definitely some mixed message about the sizes of SD cards supported.

Keep us updated when you recieve your 720.

Yes, I certainly will keep you updated. Unfortunately, I just received notice from the vendor I have purchased my prospective 720 from, stating:

"I was notified by my distributer that the New Tomtom Go 720 will not ship unitll the 2nd week of Sept.

I am very upset about this because I had planned to receive them this week.

There reason for not shipping is because Tomtom authorized them to ship the first round of units to there large Accounts such as Costco and Bestbuy so they would have them for the holiday weekend.

This was not told to me untill Monday.

Please let me know and I will cancel your order, also let me know if you want to wait.

Thank you for your business."​

So, I must now determine whether I want to "pull the plug" and seek a 720 from a vendor that is not being "short changed" by TomTom. I understand TomTom's reasoning (money), but I believe they should take care of ALL of their dealers, not just the largest among them.

Oh well, any additional information on 8GB SD cards will be appreciated!

It is the same situation for a vendor near my home. They won't be recieving their shipment till next week. The couple of Best Buy's I've been to already have them stock.

I don't think SDHC (i.e. 8 GB) cards are supported

The TomTom website, http://www.tomtom.com/products/features.php?ID=383&Category=0&Lid=4, under "Smart & Fun Extras" says:

"With MP3 player, headphone jack and an SD card slot supporting up to 8 GB of additional memory (SD card not included)."

That is the only location I have seen that mentions the size of the SD card that is accepted. I did call TomTom to verify that and the Customer Service Representative had to go check it out, but did come back and verify it.

I think this has been subsequently changed by TT customer support. That same page now makes no claim about the size of the SD card support. And then if you'll look here:

http://www.tomtom.com/support/product.php?ID=1682&Language=4&query=sdhc&FID=7957

They clearly state that SDHC cards are not supported. However, based on stories I've been reading around on the 'net it seems that some SDHC cards reportedly are working:

http://www.gpsreview.net/forums/vie...start=20&sid=ea801ac044198052588907dbfbab0d82

Post by "ttombs" claims he has a 4 GB SDHC card working...

I guess your mileage may vary...

/kid.

Ask a Question