TomTom 720 jumping to menu from map view

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
Hi,

I have just aquired a mint Tom Tom 720 - Model Go 720: 4M00.002, Firmware v7.480. My 720 seems to work ok but it tends to switch from Mapview to Main Menu every few miles, the sound continues to give routing instuctions. Some features such as Browse Map seem full of bugs also I can't add my current location as a favourite, I am told the GPS signal is lost (even though 5 bars are showing). I tried resetting it to the factory settings, using the rest button etc, I have removed all non standard software.

I have checked that the bezel is not resting on the LCD and the Unit is not too hot. I connected to TomTom home and it uploaded v8.30 then v 8.351 firmware. At this point the 720 was absolutely useless, it kept flicking to different menus, it even changed the language to Portugese on it's own and always ended up stuck on the Safety / First Aid feature. I have removed the loose files and reloaded v7.480 so I'm back where I started.

Does anyone have any ideas to help, such as which firmware is best? Is my screen effectively broken or is this how TomToms behave. I have has a Garmin Nuvi 360 which is so stable in 3 years I have never reset it. I hope someone can advise. Fingers crossed.

Thanks

I'm not sure how you can get a 'mint' 720 if the application on it was 7.480. That app came out over two years ago, maybe longer......

What map do you have and what version? Tap the satellite bars to see the application version. Tap the version number to see the map and its version.

The description of menu jumping normally is often due to dirt under the bezel somewhere. Run the sharp corner of a business card slowly around the entire circumference.

Also, you don't have a screen protector on it, do you?

Thanks for the reply dhn,

My 720 is mint because it has not been used much, even the PocketGPS Speed Cameras and other POI's are dated 2007.

My map version is Western_Europe v705.1480.

My TomTom worked OK on a 75 mile trip today except it keeps jumping to the Main Menu. The bezel is definately not touching the LCD, I have removed it, cleaned it and checked the fit. I do not have a screen protector fitted. Till now I have used a Garmin Nuvi, I do find the 720 unstable:confused:. I was hoping someone might say it is my version of the firmware.

Thanks

Well, your application and map are about three years old. You may wish to update the application to current (8.351) and purchase the latest map (850 will be out this week).

If you do update the application, it'll be a sequentially process in that Home will offer an update for you to install, then disconnect the unit properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon, reconnect and Home should offer another application update.

Go through the cycle again. I suspect for an application as old asyou have, it may take about 4 cycles before you are up to date.

8.351 as you've installed is the latest firmware.

No application issues with "jumping to menu" that I've seen, nor others posted. The only "jump to menu" issues so far have been caused by screen protectors and dirt under the bezel. If I remember right, the newer firmware made the touchscreen more sensitive, which could be exacerbating your issue.

Check if perhaps the bezel is warped from age and is closer to the the screen in some areas. Perhaps a roadbump is causing it to touch, and then the Tomtom goes into menus.

If you fancy taking the bezel off have a read of this which I posted on the web last year, this is the best way to check if anything is stuck or the padded foam isn't catching.

You will need a Torx screwdriver bit (size 5) and I improvised for the other tool I needed (good job the wife has gone out as last time I put pictures of items from the kitchen on the web like this I got in deep water - "Thats how the end of the fruit knife got bent is it???"

Anyway back to the task in hand, I guess what you are trying to do is whats shown in this picture?

Remove the SD card if fitted.
Lay the device screen side down and remove the two screws from the rear of the device:

Insert your thumb nail between the silver trim and black surround near the top of the device, the main unit will start to ease from the black case:

You can now easily extract the main unit, take care not to exert force on the interconnecting cables. Note the main screen ribbon cable, under the black tape is a small PCB multi way connector, remove the tape for access.

At both ends of the connector strip is a small fragile plastic lever, these need to be eased upwards to release the ribbon cable, they only need to move a few MM in order to release the cable.

Look close at the top edge of the screen unit and you will spot the three screen retaining lugs, these are all that is securing the screen trim in place.

Enter the kitchen knife, seriously though even a very small screwdriver could be used to ease the two parts away from each other releasing the screen trim - take care though as you could crack the screen be applying to much pressure - it doesn't need much, work each retaining lug untill all three are free.

Ease the screen trim up at the end you have released, there are other retainers at the base of the screen but once you get the trim quite a way up it will simply lift out.

Reinstallation is the reverse of removal and shouldn't take much more than 30 minutes from start to completion, just don't come back moaning if you break the device or manage to cut your fingers with a kitchen knife!

After all that does it still work? well sort of, the battery is dead but I know how to change them so thats a job for a rainy day - Hope this helps - Mike

Hi,

This issue causing my TomTom 720 jump from map view to the menu and to generally act erratically is solved. It was caused by the battery. The unit had not been used for a while and when I had it connected to the USB lead or on charge in the car it would get hot and misbehave. I tried running it battery only and the 720 started to be less erratic, it is now working properly. Initially the battery was only lasting 45 mins before the sound stopped working. After several charge then discharge cycles my TomTom is working well and I can now use it on charge. I have uploaded 8.300 firmware and then 8.351. I have also purchased a new battery to install.

Thanks for the replies. It definitely was not the bezel resting on the screen. Even when I removed the bezel completely the symptoms were still there.

Adrianmol

Ask a Question