TomTom 720 instructions via BlueTooth through car speakers

I have updated my TomTom 720 to the 8.351 firmware, and have just tried it out on my 2010 Kia Forte EX via BlueTooth. I can get the pairing to work if initiated from the car (but not if initiated from the TomTom), but no sound comes from the speakers.

Since I have never used BlueTooth before, I don't know if this is due to the latest 8.351 firmware or not. Any suggestions?

Check the specification for your car deck whilst it suports Bluetooth it might only be HFP mode (HandsFree Protocol you need it to be supporting A2DP to get the audio and music from the TomTom via the car deck using Bluetooth - If it does sport BT there is a set of files you can add to the TomTom that enhances the number of devices the PND can find and work with - check your unit can work via A2DP and post back - Mike

Check the specification for your car deck whilst it suports Bluetooth it might only be HFP mode (HandsFree Protocol you need it to be supporting A2DP to get the audio and music from the TomTom via the car deck using Bluetooth - If it does sport BT there is a set of files you can add to the TomTom that enhances the number of devices the PND can find and work with - check your unit can work via A2DP and post back - Mike
Good question. The owners manual unfortunately does not specify it, but from the limited number of posts on the Kia forum, apparently it does not support A2DP. So I guess I am out of business there. The internal TomTom speaker actually works fine for me, but I thought that if I were listening to the radio or a CD through the car speakers, it would be nice to have the BlueTooth override it, if that is how it works.

I can just try a wired connection, since my car has an input for that. Thanks for the advice.

Without A2DP support you have a number of choices:

1/ Cabled connection which is low cost, if you get interference from the cabled connection consider fitting a ground loop issolator between the TomTom and the car deck.

2/ Fit an aftermarket A2DP Bluetooth device to the car such as the iO-Play device I use or something that can plug in to the aux input of the stereo which offers the A2DP profile (they are available) and when using Bluetooth you get the option not to pause the music when the nav instructions are played - Its a much better set up IMHO.

3/ Use the FM Tx although thats prone to interference

The iO-Play I use does allow the radio / CD to play and the TT cuts in to offer the navigation audio when required, it also doubles as a car handsfree kit where the phone conversation is heard through the car speakers - a great solution which works for me - Mike

I am inclined to try the cable connection, though I will need a right-angle audio plug, which I probably have somewhere.

But my car also has a USB jack. I don't suppose the TomTom could be placed in its cradle and have the USB supply both power and carry the audio signal? I would try it out, but don't want to destroy something in the process.

The TomTom will not support any audio stream via the mini USBsocket so look for a cable to fit the line out socket - Mike

Kia doesn't speak TomTom

I have updated my TomTom 720 to the 8.351 firmware, and have just tried it out on my 2010 Kia Forte EX via BlueTooth. I can get the pairing to work if initiated from the car (but not if initiated from the TomTom), but no sound comes from the speakers.

Since I have never used BlueTooth before, I don't know if this is due to the latest 8.351 firmware or not. Any suggestions?

I have the same problem with my 2011 Kia Sorento. I'd hate to have to dismantle the dash to get at the audio equipment. But it would be nice to have the audio system fade, as with a cellphone call, while receiving GPS instructions.

Whether that would work or not is entirely down to the capabilities of the in-car audio system.
There's no data connection between the TT and the car audio, so the system would need to be able to monitor the Bluetooth input while playing audio from another source. I don't know if this is coming in on high-end systems, but it's certainly not a common feature.

The only way to get music fading for navigation instructions that I know of is to use a TomTom with mp3 player capability, like the Gox20/x30 ranges and 940 model and play your music from that.

Ask a Question