TomTom 720 initial impressions

I'm confused by this. Isn't text-to-speech what enables the 720 to speak street names? If so, it certainly works for U.S. maps. Or, are you referring to data you enter (e.g. POIs)?

Thanks for the clarification.

CPAScott
(new GO 720 owner)

Speech Recognition is different from Text to Speech.
Text to Speech is where your unit speaks out the street names.
Speech Recognition is where your unit uses your voice to prompt the navigate feature.

Is anyone else having problems with the ETA functionality? Every trip that I plug in seems to be inflated by about 40% where the Garmin usually nails arrival time dead on. This past weekend I plugged in a trip that would normally take us 3.5 hours--TomTom 720 said 5hr 15min - that is a huge discrepancy. My buddies Garmin said 3.5 hours...

I really like the ETA functionality but need it to work.
Try and use the advanced planning feature and watch the trip in demo mode. Make sure you have your status bar set to display your current rate of speed. You can set the start point using from "point on map" and then watch the demo. I've noticed that on secondary highways, it usually assumes that you'll be driving 55mph when in reality most of us drive faster than that. The longer the trip on these smaller highways the more the ETA will be off if you're a faster driver. If you notice where it's going wrong I'd be curious to know myself.

Please do take the time to report this back to both TomTom and Teleatlas. Here's the link for Teleatlas- http://mapfeedback.teleatlas.com/index.htm

Select your state then click on the next button. Under Fix Routing Rules, select Estimates and let them know where and how the ETA is incorrect.

With TomTom, I would probably call them at 866-486-6866 or use MapShare using the Other feedback option.

Is anyone else having problems with the ETA functionality? Every trip that I plug in seems to be inflated by about 40% where the Garmin usually nails arrival time dead on. This past weekend I plugged in a trip that would normally take us 3.5 hours--TomTom 720 said 5hr 15min - that is a huge discrepancy. My buddies Garmin said 3.5 hours...

I really like the ETA functionality but need it to work.

Yes I am! I am glad you mentioned this! I have used it 2 days in a row on the trip to work. The trip takes 37 minutes. It has the ETA as 45 minutes and starts backing off as you get closer. You are correct that this makes the ETA feature worthless. Also, you are correct that the Garmin is dead on. I used a Nuvi 350 for a while and the ETA was near perfect.

tomtom newbie here

I was wondering how do I activate the "read aloud street names" option. The option is grayed out. Shouldn't I be able to select this option?

I don't know what kind of unit you have but for the street names to be read aloud you need a computer voice as the voice you are using.

Ask a Question