TomTom 720 initial impressions

I just got home from my first trip with my new 720 and here are some of my initial impressions.

1. No way to input an address using voice recognition unlike the European models. :confused:

2. When I was asked to set my home location it used my current GPS position to automatically bring up Oregon and Portland although you can change this if necessary.

3, The default computer voice is Susan although there are other text to speech voices on the CD. There have been changes from the TTS on the 910 since Susan no longer butchers the word Avenue. Oddly, the default speech preferences is to NOT read aloud street names. You actually have to check a box to enable the entire reason for having a computer voice for TTS in the first place. Very strange. Keep to lane warnings are also disabled by default.

4. Being able to move the status bar to the side is a welcome option. I haven't decided if I'll keep it there or not.

5. Entering addresses is made easier and so much faster now. Picking from cities in your state really makes a difference. I haven't checked yet but it seems like they keys on the onscreen keyboard are slightly larger. They've also added the option to press a button that hides the keyboard and brings up a longer list of close matches to select from than you can pick from on current TomTom models.

6. Check this page to make sure you have the latest map. If not, you can download an update for free. https://www.tomtom.com/latestmap

7. You are entitled to one year of map updates via MapShare. I'm curious to know what will happen when the year is up.

8. The CD has no Macintosh version of the HOME software but there is HOME version 2 for Mac on the 720's internal memory.

9. There's no case in the box. You'll need to buy one separately. Boo.

10. You can now see the address for a POI by selecting a POI and selecting the details button. On the main POI screen it will show you the location on a map and the cross streets for the POI.

11. The screen is nice a bright and seems slightly brighter than my 910.

12. Old schemes still work with v7.

13. The text to speech is still very good but it's clear that they had to sacrifice quality to get it to fit on the 720. For those familiar with MP3 compression it's almost like the 920 is an MP3 encoded at 160kbps and the 720 is at 96kbps. It's not that it's bad but the 920 definitely sounds better. The speaker of the 720 may also have something to do with this.

14. MapShare isn't quite working the way I thought it would at least for blocking roads. What it seems to do is just turn the road that you block in to a one way street instead of just preventing cars from driving through the point where the road is actually blocked. Once you mark it blocked, cars can't drive in the direction you set as blocked and you end up with some crazy detours to keep cars from driving on that street. Even if the address is near the end of the street where it is blocked, routes won't take you to there because it marks it as one way. This really is a huge problem. If I'm missing something, please tell me but this is not how blocking a road should work.

There is a barricade that blocks the road at the intersection of NW 29th Ave. and NW Quimby St. Here's how it looks. You can see the line of trees where the permanent barricade is located between the streets.

blocked.jpg

dump1792124936.jpg

dump1792124935.jpg

It starts out just fine but then instead of asking where the road should be blocked, it asks you to select the buttons to change the direction. The problem is that I don't want to change the direction, I want to block the road so it doesn't try and route cars between 29th and Quimby.

dump444216847.jpg

When trying to navigate to an address just one block away, you can see that it just treats the blocked road as a one way and still allows you to drive through where the road is blocked. If you block both directions, you can't drive on that road at all. I tried marking it blocked in different directions and as you can see it doesn't really block the road at all.

dump121774208.jpg

I'm hoping that I'm just missing something very obvious and I'd love it for someone to tell me how to just mark the road as blocked at the intersection of NW 29th and Quimby.

One other glaring omission that I hope they add to MapShare very soon is a faster way to enter turn restrictions such as left turn only from road X to road Y when driving in a certain direction. I'd be surprised if this doesn't get added soon.

Overall they have made some very welcome additions to Navcore v7. In fact, in my opinion, the changes to version 7 are even better than when they went from version 5 to 6. As they always have, I'm sure TomTom will keep making it better with future software updates. Even with some flaws, the best navigation software is now even better. TomTom has another winner.

Last edited:
That's a great review.

There are a couple of things I'm wondering about:

6. Check this page to make sure you have the latest map. If not, you can download an update for free. https://www.tomtom.com/latestmap

Is this code only come with the 720 box? I don't recall seeing this code in my ONE box.

8. The CD has no Macintosh version of the HOME software but there is HOME version 2 for Mac on the 720's internal memory.

So it sounds like the CD comes with HOME version 2 for the PC. Is there any big improvements from 1.5 to 2? Also, do you have another TT device? If so, does TT allow better control of having multiple devices i.e. no need to create another email for the second device?

The road block option sounds disappointing, it routed you through the street you just blocked.

The point about entering turn restrictions is something I am looking for to. There is a street on my road where I can not make a left turn because the median is blocking. I want to make the correction so it will stop telling me to make a left.

I made a mistake on HOME. The installer is updated but the version of HOME hasn't changed.

The code for the map is on an insert and you actually have to scratch off a grey film to see the code sort of like a scratch off lottery ticket.

After looking at other previews of the 520/720 it turns out that I'm not missing anything for blocking roads after all. Mapshare doesn't allow you to block a road off at a specific place. Instead it just prevents you from driving in a certain direction or you have to completely block all traffic from that stretch of road. I can't believe that this is the way the decided to implement this and can only hope they address this in the first update to Navcore 7.

I see..

Also, when inserting an SD card, does it behave like the new ONE and ONE XL? i.e. internal memory is disabled when using an SD card.

I don't have a card to verify but I remember seeing on pocketgpsworld.com that unlike the One and XL, having an SD card installed doesn't disable the internal memory.

A few more notes.

1. You can now control the TomTom through the HOME software on a Mac. This is particularly useful when typing in a more detailed map report since you can use your computer keyboard to type up the report.

2. The application version is shown as 7.000 OS:2614, GPS v1.21, Boot 5.0457. Map: North_America_2GB v705.1481

3. Out of the box I have 473mb's of free space on the built in memory.

wow.. an even newer map version?? 675 to 705?

Congrats on your purchase and thanks for the review!

2. The application version is shown as 7.000 OS:2614, GPS v1.21, Boot 5.0457. Map: North_America_2GB v705.1481

A new map version, that is something I didn't know about. I wonder if I can get that map for my TT1v2?

3. Out of the box I have 473mb's of free space on the built in memory.

That's not bad at all for holding images and MP3's.

Sorry for asking so many questions but have you tried transferring images using the bluetooth connection?

Where are and what external jacks does the 720 have? :confused: I can't find anything in the specs on it. I really can't imagine not having an AC charger included either.:(

Where are and what external jacks does the 720 have? :confused: I can't find anything in the specs on it. I really can't imagine not having an AC charger included either.:(

The technical specs are found on TomTom website
# 4.3" widescreen 16:9 format LCD (WQVGA: 480*272 pixels)
# CPU 400 MHz, 64MB RAM
# 2GB internal flash memory
# SD card slot compatible with SD and MMC cards (cards not included)
# High sensitivity GPS receiver
# RDS-TMC traffic compatible
# Integrated FM transmitter
# Bluetooth?
# Battery lithium-polymer (5 hours operation)
# Optimized integrated microphones and speaker for high quality hands-free calling functionality
# Dimensions: 4.65" x 3.27" x 0.94"
# Weight: 7.75 oz./0.49 lbs.

According to the site it just comes with the AC car charger and a dock (which I assume you can charge on).

That still doesn't tell me where and what jacks are on it. Does it have an external antenna connector? I-pod connector? Charger connector (obviously has one), are these on the docking station like the 910 or are they directly on the unit?
None of the pictures show the connections.

That still doesn't tell me where and what jacks are on it. Does it have an external antenna connector? I-pod connector? Charger connector (obviously has one), are these on the docking station like the 910 or are they directly on the unit?
None of the pictures show the connections.

Ah, my mistake I thought you were asking for general technical specs.

I believe the inputs are mini-USB, headphone jack, SD card slot, tmc jack all located on the bottom of the unit.

There are pictures in this thread - https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=2602

Check out page six of the product manual for a diagram. You can charge it from the USB cradle or with the car charger. http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/device/gox20/gox20-en-US.pdf

I called TomTom about the so called ability to block a road so hopefully enough other people will do the same and they'll fix this in the next software update.

So they reassured you that the block function is the way you described it huh?
I'm afraid so. Mainly I wanted to make sure he passed along my frustrations to the higher ups and he said he would. Honestly, TomTom has a pretty good track record with these things but it seems to take a lot of people calling about an issue before something is done about it. Hopefully it won't be long.

The road blocking function is like that because of the way the road segments are stored in the map data as supplied to TT. TT can't do anything about it currently.
By the way, the firmware for a 720 does work on a 510/710 but for the MapSharing function you need a REV7 maps e.g. NA 705.1481

The road blocking function is like that because of the way the road segments are stored in the map data as supplied to TT. TT can't do anything about it currently.
By the way, the firmware for a 720 does work on a 510/710 but for the MapSharing function you need a REV7 maps e.g. NA 705.1481
Interesting. After experimenting some more with blocked roads it seems that blocking a road in both directions does work. If you have a starting point on the road that is blocked it will still route you through where it is blocked but other routes won't use it. If the destination is located on the blocked road, it will tell you that you have reached your destination right before you reach the road and then assumes you are walking the rest of the way. This may only be a minor issue if the road you have blocked is very long and would result in the arrival time being off. It may not be perfect but it will get the job done.

I stopped by Best Buy to check out the device. It looks nice!
I was disappointed to learn that the voice recognition is only for the European maps. I have one question a owner may answer. TomTom claims you can make your own cursor. Is this done using HOME? or did TomTom not follow this feature?

Ask a Question