TomTom 510 froze

So less than a week after I got it, my TomTom froze on me. Turned off fine and wouldn't turn on again (no matter what I did including charging etc)..

Had to manually press a reset button. How many people are having to reset their TT once in a while? Is this common?

Ohh, I've played around with everything I could to get to turn on - pressing button long and short many many times.. It just froze I guess. Did a hard-reset - seems ok now.

I've occasionally had my 510 freeze on me. Usuaully it's because I've downloaded and selected a corrupted voice file or something. However, sometimes it gets into some weird state and locks up with a grey screen. This recently happened while three things were taking place simultaneously. It was getting all confused because I was on a ferry that was travelling "off-route". TomTom tries to put you on the published ferry route (which of course is not the real-world route the ferries take) and when you deviate, it keeps trying to reroute you back through shore along the closest roads it can find. So it is almost constantly rerouting. At the same time, it was downloading traffic from TomTom Plus. And thirdly, I was attempting to place a phonecall using the BT speakerphone function. The unit just required the pin-reset and all was fine again. Like any advanced embedded device, sometimes it will get into a weird state. Luckily, a reset will usually solve the problem without any aftereffects.

I just had the same problem again. This time I'm sure it froze and it's no the battery.. When you plug in TomTom via car charger and start the car, GPS starts automatically. It didn't this time & of course manual power on didn't work either.

Seems like it does lock up every once in a while, but reset works like a charm. 2 times in 3 months or so isn't too bad I guess.

Last edited:

Ask a Question