TomTom 510 + FM Transmitter + iPod does not work

I bought a TomTom 510, FM Transmitter, and iPod cable so I can listen to my iPod on my car speakers while I drive. Long story short, it doesn't work. If I connect my iPod to my TomTom, the FM Transmitter simply stops transmitting through the FM channel and outputs all sounds through the internal TomTom speaker.

So I contacted customer support and they told me they haven't had that problem before. So they said they will research it. After a week or 2, I sent them my TomTom to see if there is something wrong with my TomTom. After they looked at it, here is what they said.

"Dear ,

Yes, we did receive your items. I've tested your scenario with your device and with our in-house devices. It appears to simply be a limitation of the TomTom product. Unfortunately, I do not have a fix for you.

I've notified product management of the issue, however, there probably won't be a fix for the 510/910 models, as they are no longer being manufactured. Any fix would most likely be implemented with future products only."

OK? So, I replied with the follow.

"I'm a little confused as to how it's a "limitation of the device." Here is the link for the FM Transmitter found on the TomTom site:

http://www.tomtom.com/products/accessories/accessory.php?ID=305

It specifically states "What?s more, connect an iPod to your GO 510, 710 or 910 via the iPod Connect Cable and the FM Transmitter Mount lets you play your iPod tunes through the car radio, too." How is it a limitation if it specially states that it's possible? Being able to play my iPod through the TomTom on my car radio was one of the reasons I decided to buy that model."

It took them a full week to reply back to me with the following:

"Dear ,

That is, perhaps, a misnomer. I will forward this information on to our Product Management team for research. However, it simply doesn't function the way it was stated on the website. If you purchased the FM transmitter through us, we have no problem providing a credit for this purchase and allowing the return of the product.

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support."

I've looked around and I haven't seen anyone complaining about the TomTom FM Transmitter just not working at all. But, I did notice the only models I've seen people use are 910. I find it hard to believe I'm in the only person who has a combination of a TomTom 510, FM Transmitter, and iPod. Does anyone else here have a 510, FM Transmitter, and iPod that can reaffirm that it works or doesn't work?

I have a 510, iPod kit and FM transmitter -- while I did have a defective transmitter (static), TT replaced it and I have not had any problems -- question, did you go through the complete setup > per instructions

I think so. I plugged the TomTom into the FM Transmitter. Changed the speaker preference to the FM thing. Selected a station. That works. As soon as I plug in my iPod with the iPod kit, the FM icon on the left side disappears and the sounds all go to the internal speaker. Even if I go back to the speaker settings and select an FM channel, the sound at the confirmation screen at the end goes to the internal speaker instead of the FM channel.

I've tried that too but still it didn't work. I've even tried updating my iPod and TomTom. BTW wb4fun, which firmware version are you using? Are you using one of the older ones or the lastest one?

Ask a Question