TomTom 2505 Problems

During the first test drive with our new TomTom 2505, I was surprised at the number of problems that came up.

Our restaurant/hotel destination, an upscale place open for 2 1/2 years, wasn't in the database.

Four times it said to take the second left or right when the turn was actually the first one.

Passing freeway exits, it unnecessarily said "keep left" at about one in three. Twice it said "Exit right ahead" when the desired exit was still the second one to come.

When approaching the destination, it didn't announce which side of the street it was on.

It didn't recognize my voice commands more than half the time.

This is my first TomTom. Is this a typical experience?

Have you plugged into your computer for the map v860 update? It might improve the restaurant and turn-count issues, and certainly will improve the "destination on left/right" announcements.

Overall, map accuracy on a Tomtom is about the same as with competing brands, better in some areas, worse in others.

The lane announcements occur whenever there is an exit only lane. I agree that is overkill, and many other forum members have complained. I have contacted Tomtom asking to be more intelligent in this regard, such as giving a lane announcement when 30% of more lanes were exit-only. I don't if/when they might act on this recommendation.

Voice commands on Tomtom are gimmicky at best, you'll need to get used to frequent screen taps.

My 2505 has V855 map and when plug in to computer, My TomTom says it is up to date. How do you get it to download the V860 map?

The voice recognition seemed better on my 720 so far. Also, when inputting an address you could say the number on the list (if it came up with multiple options for street name), on the 2505 you have to press the one you want on screen. I thought the 2505 would be better, but seems a step back in some areas.

Last edited:
Are you the latest myTomtom app? I think the latest is 3.0.1.203. Also, try clearing the cache in the MyTomtom app.

If that still doesn't help, try calling Tomtom phone support. Others had been able to get map 860, so your device should be offered that map.

Yeah, thanks, but the 2505 still won't connect on the Win7Pro64 box and the XP one still shows no updates. Go TomTom!

Cheers!!

Do you have Adobe Flash installed on the W7 box? Think it's needed for MyHome to give the 'connected' message.

I have the 3.0.1.203 app and cleared cache. Still says no updates available. Maybe you have to wait awhile after first get device? I have only had it a few days.

Hey Trey

I'm dealing with the exact same thing. I have the current app, cache is cleared and still have map 855. It connects fine and tells me my device is up-to-date. So, I'm not sure how to update to the latest map either. Perhaps I'll try mvl's suggestion and call Tomtom phone support.

Ok, just called Tomtom support. The guy was very polite and helpful, but didn't have many options available. He had me soft reset the device, clear the cache and that was about it. I'm using IE9, so we thought maybe that was the culprit. So, I unistalled mytomtom, reinstalled it using Firefox, and reset the device. Still no updates available. It also shows the device as GO 1005, instead of 2505...not a big deal, but he said it should be showing 2505. As far as solutions were concerned, he said we could move it up to the next level or exchange the device. His opinion (for what it was worth, with all due respect), was that it was probably something behind the browser application that needed tweaking, and that it would likely be worked out over the next little while. He did express some frustration over the fact that we could no longer install a map directly onto the device's drive like all the other models. Apparently there are very few troubleshooting options with these new devices and Home3 software.

So, I'm not sure what to think at this point. I can wait to see if MyTomtom finally offers me an update, or take it back only to risk the same problem....hmmmm, what to do, what to do? At least I have 30 days in which to decide. Any luck on your end Trey?

No. My home PC is Win7 and I tried both IE9 and Firefox.

I also tried to download My TomTom on my XP laptop with IE7 and it just tells me the same thing that it is up to date.

Undecided on keeping it yet or not.....

Did you create an account on the MyTomtom website with an email address? Certain functionality like map downloads won't work without an email address registered (it's ok if the email is fake).

Otherwise, there isn't much you can do manually on the app 10.x models. Best bet would be to call Tomtom phone support to see if they can fix things on the server end, or warranty swap the device.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Yes, I have an account, and My TomTom says I am up to date with the 855 map.

How old is 855? The missing restaurant has been open for 2 1/2 years.

I think this unit is going back.

Interestingly, after two calls to tomtom support, I still couldn't get map 860 to download. They told me there was nothing wrong with my device, but that mytomtom just wasn't recognizing the need to download the update. However they suggested that I try connecting it to another computer and if the problem continued, to return the device and try another. I tried another computer...no luck. So, I exchanged it for another. I brought it home and carefully set it up, following the instructions to the letter. Low and behold...it still wouldn't offer me the map update. Still not sure what to think at this point. Two devices, and the same problem. I wonder if it has to do with the newness of MyTomTom/Home3 and will it offer the updgrade eventually???

Last edited:
I wonder if it has to do with the newness of MyTomTom/Home3 and will it offer the updgrade eventually???
Do earlier models use Home 3?

Has anyone with a 2505 managed to download 860?

On the issue of the missing restaurant, if a 2 1/2 year old high end restaurant isn't in the August map, I am underwhelmed - even if it is in the November one.

Only the newest models use MyHome 3. They include the 1000, 1005, 2405 and 2505 and all VIA models.

Map 860 was offered for a number of members back in mid-December. However, it caused crashes for a few members that resulted in bricked units.

Perhaps Tomtom pulled the map update until they fix the cause of the bricking. Has anyone else been able to download map 860 on an app 10.x device in the past few days?

I have software version 3.0.1.203 on my 2505 TM, and am being told my maps are "up-to-date" with 855 installed....

Yes, Tomtom has pulled map updates for now, due to "technical issues", which I assume were the bricks on a few units.

Tomtom had scheduled a software update for custom POIs by 1/31, perhaps that will also fix the map bug and allow the map updating to run again.

Ask a Question