tomtom 2 wont recognise scala headset

TomTom Model(s)
Rider 2
HI all,

this being my very first post I am hoping you may help.

The other week I upgraded my tomtom rider via the website to the latest settings. Last weekend I used the rider but I could not get the headset paired. I thought the battery needed charging in the scala, so I charged it up, so far so good, yes. OK, with the scala doing its job of flashing red and blue I tried to pair it with tomtom. Good old tomtom will not recognise scala, in any way shape or form.

It does not matter what I do the two will not pair at all. They came as a whole kit, and used to work fine until that time last week, I do not use tommy much but when I do I rely on scala to tell me where to go, so I do not have to continually take my eyes off the road to look at when the next turn etc may be.

Hoping you can help

Flook

Hi Flook

The only time I had problems with my Rider not communicating with the head set, I contacted TT Support and got a reply indicating that I may have a corrupt file on the Rider. I will paste the reply I got here. It is very long and involves quite a bit of work to complete the reinstall, however, it cured my fault and I haven't had it happen again ... thank goodness!!!

Hope this is of some help.

PC

Dear Pacific Coaster,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support in regards to your Rider 2nd Edition.

It could sometimes happen that a minor file on your TomTom becomes corrupt and this could lead to this error.

By following these steps, you can easily resolve this challenge and continue navigating with your TomTom! If, however, you encounter any difficulties, please do not hesitate to contact us for further support.

If you have not already installed the latest version of TomTom Home, please download the latest version from the following link:

TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems

Whilst TomTom HOME is downloading, reset your TomTom for 30 seconds without your TomTom being connected to the Computer.

To reset your TomTom for 30 seconds, please visit this website:
TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product

Now on your Computer, in the system tray, (in the bottom right hand corner by the time, there is a little red TomTom HOME logo, if its not there, click on the little arrow pointing towards left to show all the hidden icons). Right click on the TomTom logo and select exit.

Open My Computer (Start -> My Computer)

Now please connect your TomTom to the computer and turn it on.

Your TomTom drive will appear in My Computer as drive E,F,G,H,I etc

Now to Check if there are any corruptions on your SD card or Internal Memory of your TomTom, please go to following web page:-

TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product

(Here you will find instruction to complete the disc error check on your PC or Mac).

We are now ready to begin backing up your TomTom Device.

STEP 1 - Creating a Manual backup of your TomTom

(Scroll to the bottom of this page to see how to make a manual back up of your TomTom)

IMPORTANT: Please only continue with Step 2 if you have made a complete back up of your TomTom without any error messages. If you do get an error message, please contact us before continuing.

STEP 2 - Format the hard-disk,

• Open 'My Computer'
• Right click on the TomTom drive (the device should be seen in drive E,F,G,H,I etc) and select 'Format'.
• Please make sure that quick format is not selected.
• Click on start.
• Once the format is complete, use the ‘Safely Remove Hardware’ icon in the bottom right hand corner of your computer to disconnect your TomTom from the computer.
• Once disconnected, your TomTom will show a red cross.
• Reset the TomTom with a paperclip for 30 seconds.

STEP 3 - Restore the Folders to the TomTom

• Connect your TomTom back to the computer and switch it on.
• Go to your backup folder in My Documents, double left click into it.
• Click on Edit -> Select all -> Edit -> Copy.
• Now open My Computer and double click on the TomTom Drive.
• Please paste your Back up onto your TomTom Drive: Edit-> Paste
• Now select all the files that are not yellow folders and delete them. (Make sure you do not delete any yellow folders)
•Now disconnect your TomTom by using the ‘Safely Remove Hardware’ icon again.
• Once disconnected, your TomTom will show a red cross.

STEP 4 - Now we need to delete the application files from your PC so that HOME will offer them as an update

• Click on Start in the bottom right of your PC
• Now select My documents -> TomTom -> HOME -> Downloads -> Complete
• Please delete the yellow Program folder.

STEP 5 - Update your device

• Reset the TomTom with a paperclip for 30 seconds.
• Connect your device to the PC and turn it on.
• Open TomTom HOME: Start->All Programs->TomTom->TomTom HOME 2.
• HOME will now load your updates (If this does not happen automatically, click on Update My ONE/GO/Rider on the main menu of HOME.)
• Make sure that only the application is marked with a green tick.
• Click on Update and Install.
• Once Installed, click on Done.
• You will now be prompted by HOME to restart your Device, just click ok.
• In the Top left of HOME, click on 'Device -> Disconnect Device'.
• Now please disconnect your TomTom from the computer and allow it to start up normally.

If you get “No Maps Found” on your TomTom, please repeat Step 5.

STEP 6 - Run the Clear Flash Tool Twice

• Close HOME. (Make sure you close TomTom Home from the system tray in the bottom right hand corner of your screen)
• Connect your TomTom to the computer. If it ask’s if you want to connect, please select yes.
• Download and run the clear flash tool from : http://www.tomtom.com/updates/clear_flash/clear_flash.exe
• Now disconnect your TomTom (Safely Remove Hardware in the bottom right hand corner)

The Application is now installed, all corruption will have been removed and your TomTom will now be working normally again.

If, however, you have any further questions, please update your question as per the instructions at the end of this email, providing us with the TomTom HOME System.

The system information can be found in HOME:
Help->System info.
Click on copy to clipboard.
You can now paste this into the update field when replying to my email.

Always happy to help.

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Should you wish to reply to this email, please log in to your TomTom account via the TomTom website.
Click on ‘My TomTom’ in the top right -> ‘My Questions History', click on the title of your email then click on 'Update Question'.

You can also attach documents that you wish to send to us by clicking on 'Browse'. You can then find the document you wish to attach and click on 'Add Attachment'.

Another approach is on Monday morning phone 0845 161 0009 and ask them why the device no longer works, I have a Rider PND sat with me from a chap at work with exactly the same issue so its possibly duff software they have supplied causing this. I will roll the device back to a previous Navcore and see if that fixes it as the owner doesn't need the latest update - Mike

Hi,

I would like to thank you both for your replies. I rang tomtom up and they sorted it out for me, brilliant. A very nice lady called Sophia I spoke to.

Thank you both again for you response.

Flook

Would you list what the solution was?

That way, others may learn how to deal with the precise problem as well.

Glad it worked out for you.

dhn,

I rang the number given by mikealder this afternoon, I went through all options and spoke to Sophia. Sophia instructed me to turn off the scala headset, go to options in tomtom, select headset, turn on scala until blue/red flashed and press match. And whala it matched:D, I have done that operation many times before, to no avail:confused:.

I am either getting too old in the bluetooth:eek: or it works when a woman instructs. I know what I prefer to choose, me and blonds, I know I married one.

a very happy Flook:D

PS I hope I can get it to work next time!

Ask a Question