TomTom 1005 Win 7 Driver problem

I've just got my nice shiny new 1005, but I've already hit a problem.

I can't connect the device to my PC.

Windows lovingly installs the Drivers for it but then it won't connect, I've only managed to get it to connect once.

When I look in the device manager, it says Problems with Driver (code 31)

I'm currently running Win7 Pro 64, so is there a problem with TomTom's drivers and W7 64?

MyTomTom needs the Device Driver to be running otherwise it doesn't detect the 1005 being connected.

As far as I can tell the device driver doesn't like win7 64bit, as I can get it to install using a Virtual XP session, but I can't get Home3 to install so I'm still not getting anywhere.

The device connected once, and all it got was the firmware update and since then won't reconnect.

Try clearing your cache in the MyTomTom notification icon.

Also, make sure you have Adobe Flash installed.

Adobe is fully updated and I've gone into the cache folder and deleted everything still no joy.

To give you an idea of what I'm taking about this is the problem

If I uninstall the driver and reinstall it it shows as working properly, when I un-plug the device and re-plug it back in the problem comes back.

On my Virtual XP session the driver stays fine on un-plugging and re-plugging but I can't get the software to install on a virtual session so that solution went out the window.

Without the driver working the device can't connect to MyTomTom, which means I can charge the device just not use it.

I've just got my nice shiny new 1005, but I've already hit a problem.

I can't connect the device to my PC.

Windows lovingly installs the Drivers for it but then it won't connect, I've only managed to get it to connect once.

When I look in the device manager, it says Problems with Driver (code 31)

I'm currently running Win7 Pro 64, so is there a problem with TomTom's drivers and W7 64?

With windows 7 Pro can't you emulate vista or xp by going to properties. Just a thought. I know that when I was thinking of buying a windows 7 computer, I did not want to because of this problem because I had old programs. The sales person said that if I purchase the pro version you would not have this problem. It was probably BS.

Last edited:
I don't know of anyone who is successful with MyTomtom and win7 64-bit. 32-bit seems fine.

You should be able to do a free WinXP emulator in that OS. The MyTomtom software works within the WinXP emulator.

I'm currently using this

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

but for some reason although I can install the device driver the actual TomTom Home 3 software won't install, it pretends to run but then does nothing.

This was kinda my last resort as someone had posted in another forum about using it, but for the life of me I can't work out why I can install any other prog apart from this one.

I don't have Win7 so I can't directly help. The person on this post had been successful.

Have you tried uninstalling MyTomtom software on Win7 mode first, and then reinstalling the MyTomtom software on WinXP mode?

That was the thread I used to d/l the Virtual Win XP from but for some reason I just can't install the TomTom software using it.

I dbl click the install file and it starts to run but never fully does, so no idea what's going wrong, I've made sure that all the adobe software is installed and up-to-date on the Virtual one and still no joy.

Can you run windows update on the virtialXP startup? If so, try downloading all the updates, especially ms dotNet.

Dotnet fixes issies with Tomtom HOME, it's worth a try to see if it helps on the MyTomtom app.

mvl yup you were right once I installed the .net stuff it installed without a problem.

I thought I'd got all the updates, seems I missed a few, so thanks.

I have W7 x64 and my Go 2505 connects fine (at home). At work (right now) my other 2505 connects (also using W7 x64) but I'm receiving "Something has gone wrong...service is temporarily unavailable" message. I'm not sure if the service is actually down or our corporate network is blocking...

Update: found out it is the corporate network that is blocking it. Works fine at home.

Last edited:
I am using Win 7 Pro 64bit and I have had no issues with geting the software installed or getting my GO1005 updated.

I do not have to run compatibility mode for the program.

As far as i have read you must connect your tomtom 1005 threw a straight usb connection ( not by HUB) .
Connect the connect cable straight at a free usb port on the pc and not threw an usb hub.
As far as i know windows 7 wont be able to connect straight to your tomtom ( only by MyTomTom program)

Hopefully you have something with my answer.
I myself own a TomTom GO 1000 and also i am not able to connect the tomtom straight in Windows 7

Kind regards

The tomtom 1X model does not show up as an external device in any operating system, whether it is XP, Vista, W7 or a Mac.

Win 7 -64 and My Tom Tom

I don't know of anyone who is successful with MyTomtom and win7 64-bit. 32-bit seems fine:
I have Win 7 64 Professionnal,SP1 and everything is fine with My Tom Tom
magellat

Ask a Question