TomTom 1005 Live

TomTom Model(s)
Hi all,
Just bought this device (TT 1005 Live)
Had it about a week, had nothing but problems with it.
The main problem is it crashes 2 or 3 times during a journey, powers down then sticks on the startup screen then that goes off and after about 3 minutes it returns to the route planning screen.
I have also noticed my prefs have sometimes changes in settings and I have to reinput them.
I have phoned tomtom and they want it sent back to them for repair, meanwhile Im left without satnav.
Sony courier you out a new unit and get the courier to collect the faulty unit the next day, TT dont have this backup.
Very dissapointed as Ive always used TT, now I regret not having bought the new Garmin.
Cheers Dave.

Unfortunately, with the 1000 and 1005 models, there is nothing we can advise as a remedy since there is no user access to the file system on the unit.

Dave where did you purchase it from, if it was a local retailer I suggest you take it back ASAP and demand a full refund, under the sale of goods act you are entitled to your cash back if the goods are faulty which clearly they are, from what you describe the device isn't fit for the purpose intended - reboots/ crashes etc are not acceptable at the frequency you have been experiancing - Mike

Yup, let's take a tip from our US cousins, more complaining, less tolerance of TT wanting it back. Take/send it back, get a refund, buy a Garmin.

Hi all

On 5th November I finally decided to buy the 1005 after years of being with Garmin (maybe this was a bad decision)

Over the last 2 days my 1005 has been rebooting itself, it makes no difference if I am following a route or its just sitting there waiting for me to use it, screen goes blank then I get the startup screen and everything is fine. This happened 4 times today and 5 times yesterday.

After reading 1nevsters post Im guessing I have the same problem, other than returning this to TomTom are there any suggestions to cure it, I cannot be without a satnav as my job relies on it.

Regards

There's not anything any of us can really do with those. You can't access the file system any longer, so you can't reload or replace any bad files, or even back-up the OS. Returning it is your only choice.

Also just purchased a TomTom GO LIVE 1005 and suffering from the repeated reboots.

During a 60 mile trip on Tuesday the device rebooted at least three times at random as we were driving along with no input from the driver. I had noticed it do this at least once previously.

When it came back on it carried on from where it had left off with no input from the driver.

I have also had problems with the "Favourites". I set up a few of my default destinations through the Favourite menu but when I select navigate to a favourite destination they have disappeared (although still visible in the Favorites menu). So I deleted them and input them again and now they appear OK !!!

I think TomTom still have some software problems to iron out of these new units

The only reason that I upgraded to the GO LIVE 1005 was that my old GO 720T no longer supports any current Mobile phone models and TomTom have no plans to release an updated mobile phone database for the older models.

Come on TomTom, we expect better support than this if you want to remain the market leader !!!

During a 60 mile trip on Tuesday the device rebooted at least three times at random as we were driving along with no input from the driver. I had noticed it do this at least once previously.!!!

10 times mine rebooted in one trip from Hertfordshire to Oxford, almost chucked it out the window this went on for 3 days & then stopped. I think its something to do with the Live Traffic services failing, last time i had this was on my 720 with tom tom traffic when that failed the device would compensate itself by re-booting & re-loading the services.

its been fine for a few weeks now.

There was a firmware update

There was a firmware update that automatically took place when you connected it to My Tom Tom on your PC, the issue has been resolved, although customer services was still very poor in helping me out, I had to find out for my self despite them taking my email and also phone number after I complained.

I am having the same reboot problem and reading other posts this is still a problem, Anyone any ideas - mine is going back but I am not home for a month

Suggestion for @BeanCounter. Since this thread started (positively ages ago), we have encountered some new information. If your device is stuck in a reboot cycle, there is one possible solution you should try before returning it...

Hold the power button down for 20 seconds. You will hear the TomTom drums play. Do NOT release the power button. CONTINUE to hold the power button down until you see a black and white diagnostic screen. Immediately release the button and then tap the button three times quickly. That should force the device to reboot in a big way, and cause it to reload the last known good firmware version.

If you don't get the timing right of the three presses on the diag screen, you can repeat the procedure until you get it right.

...... Immediately release the button and then tap the button three times quickly. That should force the device to reboot in a big way, and cause it to reload the last known good firmware version.

I think we should point out here that in order to get that reload of the latest software it needs to be downloaded via your computer and internet connection.

So don't try this procedure while you are out on the road!

Ask a Question