Tom Tom XL340S (Target Black Friday)

I purchased a Tom Tom XL340S at Target on Black Friday, for Christmas. I am totally "stupid" when it comes to these things. The instructions were not very detailed. I have read some places that say, do not hook them up to a computer and update, just use it out of the box. Updating with a computer can mess it up -- and if you do update it, make sure to make a back-up copy. Exactly what are they saying? Do I need to hook it up to my computer (let me add that I have dial-up)? If I need to do that, how do I make a "back-up" copy, and what is the purpose of it? Thanks for any clarifcation!

Yes, you should back up the unit's contents when you first get your unit. See here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

As to updates, that's really going to be a problem with dial-up. It will take hours to download and install the Latest Map Guarantee which you are entitled to. Any chance you can use a computer with a faster connection and install Home on it?

Initial back-up and updates

Since I have dial-up at home, how do I perform the initial back-up of my new Tom Tom XL340S? Can I do my back-ups on my home computer (dial-up) but do my initial (and future) updates on my work computer (which has a very fast internet speed). Does the "back-ups" even require internet connection?

Did you look at the link I provided? No need for the internet to be involved at all. Yes, do the Explorer backup at your own computer and downloads on the computer at work is a very good idea.

Ask a Question