Tom Tom start Regional model IEX00 map version 9.465

TomTom Model(s)
Tom Tom Start Regional
Dear All,

I am a newbie to site and only have a limited amount of time on the pc, so I will have to spend more time looking at site.

I have recently changed from a tom tom one 3rd edition to a tom tom start with iq routes regional probably about 3 years old. I have been trying to set it up like the the tom tom one ie transfering over files/POIs etc. I am a UK Lorry driver and need the following installed so I can use the sat nav properly Bridge Heights,weight limits and width restrictions also speed cameras.

I shall start with speed cameras, they are installed on device I have version 24240 but they are not appearing on the routes ie using 2d/3d view. I have driven past a few fixed cameras over the last few days and nothing!, do I need to subscribe to get the version already installed working?

I installed various files into the UK/Ireland map and the POI's appear installed and are ticked on the display POIs on map the icons also appear on the display map when you tap the screen but nothing nothing appears on the 2d/3d maps when I drive past/near weight restrictions/width restrictions/bridges. I have downloaded the instruction manual nowt in there really,I have plenty of memory in unit!, I have disabled all other POI categories that are not needed.

Basically, I some help am I doing something wrong? am I using wrong files that are not compatible? I need an idiots guide to installing the following files, alos I am not sure if my files are up to date as the tom tom one was from 2005

UK Bridge Heights
width restrictions
7.5t weight restrictions

Not sure if the ones I downloaded from tom tom home downloads are the best files to use,dont know where else to get files from? The files I have been dealing with are BMP/OV2/TLV. I have speed cameras on the tom tom one but dont want to transfer them over to the start in case they mess it up/corrupt it.

I know its a big first time posting for help, and when I have more time I will try to self help myself!.

Thanks

Jason

Hi Jason, and welcome. :)

Firstly the speed cameras... I'm assuming you are talking about TomTom's OWN warning system?

If so, then although you usually get a free copy pre-installed to get you started, it's actually a subscription service in order to keep it up to date, and therefore the files are locked to one particular unit - you can't just share them around.

Personally, I find TomTom's own offering pretty poor, and get much better results from Pocket GPS World's camera Alert camera data (details here). Again, it's a subscription service, but you get much more openness about how it all works and who provides the data, and also a chance to win free subscription periods just by reporting new cameras or changes to them.

It's also a damn sight more accurate and you can have VOICE warnings telling you the speed limit, something TT's own one can't do.

--------------------------

For POI files in general, they should all be transferable from one device to another.

Are you copying across BOTH the data file and the icon file for each POI?

The data file will be called e.g. supermarkets.ov2 and the icon file for it will be supermarkets.bmp.

It's not necessary to copy across the .tlv files (they are only used by TomTom Home itself to remember where they came from.

If you are not seeing those three letter "extensions" to the file names, then you need to adjust your settings in Windows.
(On XP it's Windows Explorer 'Tools' menu / Folder options / View tab and UN-tick "Hide extensions for known file types")

Secondly they need to be put into your MAP folder (called "UK and Ireland" or whatever yours is) NOT the "poi" folder that is usually there.

------------------

Finally, for UK POIs, I would again recommend Pocket GPS World. They have a well-maintained library of free POIs (no subscription required) here: Download FREE POIs

They also have a "premium" set which includes Bridge Heights and weights etc. where I think you DO need to be subscribed.

(They have a help forum too)

I have now messed it up, I transfered some speed camera files from my old tom tom one and pasted them in the map folder of my start, now the screen is stuck on start up and I cannot turn off on, it wont connect to home! dont know what to do?

Cheers

Jason

Ask a Question