Tom Tom One - Can't format

TomTom Model(s)
Tom Tom One - 3rd Edition
Hi all,

I've had some problems after an unsuccessful purchase of the UK maps.

I originally got this error:

Cannot create this file: J:\United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland\United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland-33.meta

I've somehow ended in a real mess after going thru' the support tips on the Tom Tom site, and had an unsuccesful attempt at a format which ended up with the message:

"Windows was unable to complete the format"

Now my Tom Tom One ( 3rd Edition 512mb ) won't start up, without the red X, is unrecognised by Tom Tom Home, and can't be explored by windows explorer :

You need to format the disk in drive J: before you can use it

so I try, and still get :

"Windows was unable to complete the format"

I'm needing the UK maps in a week, as I'm travelling there from Australia.

Can anyone please help ? .... still waiting for a response from Tom Tom ... or is my unit trashed and my new $70 map wasted ?

Thanks in advance guys .... I have my fingers crossed someone has seen this before ...

bigtoe

I hope you have a back up of your Oz map. If so:

With the drive depicted by the TomTom unit run this:

chkdsk /f (notice the space before the /)

Then try a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of the unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Then try the format of the unit. If it works, connect to Home which should see you need an application and offer to dl and install it. Do so.

The map you purchased is in compressed form as a cab file on your computer. (Documents and Settings/Yourname/Documents/TomTom/Home/Download/Complete/Map [ or something close....])

Make a folder on your unit named EXACTLY the same as the name showing for the cab file.

Use winrar (since it keeps files/folder structure in place) and extract the contents of the compressed map folder into the map folder on the unit.

Try that.

This is the exact same problem that I posted to on another post.

I went ahead and did the above instructions. When I run the chkdsk, a black screen quickly comes on and off.

I try to reformat and get the same error above. When I disconnect unit the red x comes on. It looks like Windows is having a hard time communicating thus the reason why it won't reformat.

Any advice.... this has turned into a huge nightmare.

Fixed it ... thanx !

:D

dhn, clos96,

I tried your suggestions dhn, with no luck. Upon running a chkdsk /f I got a windows message along the lines " cannot chkdsk a RAW partition" and could get no further.

I thought from the support pages it was supposed to be a fat32 partition ?!

Anyway ... being a bit stuck I noticed that the USB cable I was using was a bit on the thin side ?! ( bare with me ) and prolly not the USB that was supplied wit the Tom Tom ( I have a drawer full of cables for removable drives / phones / usb bits & pieces )

I picked another usb cable ( looks the same to me but cable is thicker and has a 'choke' ( i think ) fitted )

Did a quick format - successfully ! woo hoo !

Then pretty much followed your suggestions dhn, and ended up with all maps Oz & Uk running fine !
( luckily i did a backup )

tho' i'm fixed up .. i'm still really confused by why changing the cable made such a difference. The cable i was succesful with is about 100mm longer than the thin cable. Its the same powered usb port.

Any ideas anyone ?

clos96 ... try another cable ... daft tho' it sounds it worked for me.

thanks dhn, good luck clos96, let me know if I can post anymore details ... i'm sure i'm not the only person to have this issue ... so if I can help .....

BigToE

Thanks for the feedback.

We often suggest the user try a different usb port on the computer, usually one on the back because ports on the front sometimes tend to emit less power....enough to essentially charge the unit somewhat but not enough to allow for true functionality and tasks required. This is especially true if the port runs off a hub or keyboard or monitor, places where are sometimes usb ports to be found.

I guess implicit in all of this is that the cable doing the connecting also be appropriate for the task. I guess we (I?) assume the user will always be using the cable provided with the unit so I tend to forget suggesting that remedy (using the proper cable) enough.

Don't ask me how but I loaded an SD card into my PC and for whatever reason TomTom Home noticed it and loaded all of the software including my new map and it works flawlessly. A little longer to pinpoint where I'm at but nonetheless it works.

If I remove the card, the TomTom will give the Red flashing X so the main units hard drive is either fried or doesn't work.

(While writing the above I grabbed the USB cable that came w/ my device)

In regards to the cable, I can't f'ing believe it but you are right. I miraculously found the box and the cable was in there never used. As soon as I put it in, I went to format and it formatted to a tee. Didn't even have to run the chkdsk. All is well for me to.

Thank you both for your help.

Now, can either of you direct me to where I can activate TomTom Traffic via my Verizon Blackberry Storm?

Thanks,

Carlos

I know its an old thread but id just like to say thanks to the poster as its stopped my tomtom being a plastic brick. My tomtom would not format by windows and it turns out to be because of the cable and usb port i was using.I was using my camera cable in the front port and kept getting windows cannot format errors. I put the proper tomtom cable in the rear port and it worked first time. The tomtom cable is a lot thicker than the camera one.Just shows that you should use the proper cables that come with the equipment.

Hi,

Just want to thank you all, I too had a TomTom One 3rd Edition and after messing it up the other day and not being able to format the thing, I thought also i would be left with a useless brick.
I kept trying to format it but kept getting the message format could not compleate, but after finding this thread i thought i would try your idea about trying the original cable, and hey presto! it worked!

So for anyone having the same problem, try what the guy said above about trying the original cable it seems to solve the formatting problem.

Thanks Guys
Carl

I have the same problem that i windoaws can't give format to the disk, the bigger problem is that since the device is new I don't have a back up, I have the maps at my PC but know the pc just reads the gps as a drive and tomtom home doesn't recognize it, I am using the orignal cable, a thin one, and nothing happens windows canno?'t format the drive.

PLEASE HELP ME AS SOON AS You can, everything started because a bought a map and it didn't installed because an error en faces.dat, but know i can't even see the screen that says no map in the device

if you got the format to suceed then disconnect the tomtom and let it startup until it shows a red x. then reconnect it. home should recognize it.

Worked for me too!

I've never been able to update mine properly - kept coming up with write errors when trying to update files on the TomTom.

Tried formatting, and it produced more errors and I was stuck with a RAW disk.

However... switching to the cable that came with the TT AND using a USB port in the back (front didn't work) made it format perfectly. Now updates install fine too.

Thanks for the solution, this has been driving me nuts for the last few hours!

Wobbler

Formatting tomtom

Its almost impossible to format a tomtom with windows if the drive is currupted you cant even use the check disk to fix errors guess what I did

I found this little partiton app on cnet called Partition home 5.2

I tried to use it to refomat, repartition,delete partition,wipe partition none of that would fix the currupt sectors and file on my tomtom drive but it had one more thing that I didnt bother to use until this morning and that was copy partition

so I go and plug my Kingston usb flash drive plug it into my pc

it had a few songs it and a pdf file but I use it anyway

after that I high lighted the kingston flash drive partition to be copied selected the tomtom as the destination for the partition to be copied to and BAM! my tomtom was working agin it copied the the files and partition from the the flash drive to my tomtom so I deleted the songs and the pdf file from my tomtom and installed the tomtom application from there I reinstalled my map and everthing else from my back ups

oh yeah before you can copy the good partition from your flash drive to your tomtom you must first delete the the old partition so it will be unallocated so do that first and after the the new pation if copied assign it a drive letter all this can be do in partition home 5.2 go to cnet down loads and get its free

Last edited:
I'm guessing that deleting and recreating the "partition" (even without the copy) would have done it. Far more than a format, this will recreate the partition table data. Now the question remains -- will those bad sectors appear again when they are accessed?

Thank You soooooooo Much

It really is a matter of using the right cable!
i was thinking my TomBrickTom was done, when I came across this forum and saved my TomTom One from an early funeral.
It finally formated with the right cable in the USB back door and was asking to update. It then gave an error, unplug it and plugged in again and now is updating (fingers crossed) hope will be ok when it finishes.
Even if it fails at leat this way I could bring it to some response.
Thank u all, specially the one who posted in first place.
kind regards from portugal.

Can't believe how simple just changed the usb cable was, worked a treat. Now when the envelope arrives to send off my tomtom, i can call and explain i fixed it myself.

It is the USB CABLE.

After struggling for hours on all types of forums :rant: I found this string.

HOORAY!!!!! It is the cable needing to be plugged into the back USB port. :cheer2:

Cables

My Too Shawnwwjd
Hi all.. yes, this IS an old thread,l but still has good useful info. I thought I WAS using the correct cable that came with the device.. and I was getting all sorts of errors that had even the Tomtom Support guys baffled... :confused: I searched and tried all sorts of things, but the ONE thing that sorted it all out was to go and find a cable that had an end that was flat against the body of the tomtom, which is how the original ones are, and plug it in...

After stuffing around with this thing for over 12 man hours, it NOW has worked properly and all is running as it should..:rolleyes:

I have given the guys at tomtom support the heads up top may be ask that question as an early one to save them and the customer time.

Thanks for putting it on this forum.. :)
Papa D.

Other USB Cable

I has the same issues would not format tried earleri suggestion and used a different USB cable and it worked thanks guys.

Ask a Question