Tom Tom One 3000 miles off!

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL S
In Salem Oregon and TT says that I'm in Ft Lauderdale Florida but only when connected to TT Home. When not connected to TT Home or on battery, it gives the correct location. I was in Ft Lauderdale all last week and was using the TT and entering addreesses from my laptop so it could possibly be explained by that but this is a different computer. It's also giving the wrong time when connected to Home but is OK when not connected.

What in the world is going on?

When u use Home you have to click on Current Address and put it in. It doesn't know!

In Salem Oregon and TT says that I'm in Ft Lauderdale Florida but only when connected to TT Home. When not connected to TT Home or on battery, it gives the correct location. I was in Ft Lauderdale all last week and was using the TT and entering addreesses from my laptop so it could possibly be explained by that but this is a different computer. It's also giving the wrong time when connected to Home but is OK when not connected.

What in the world is going on?

So.......holding your unit in your hand, not docked, gives the correct information but docked, it shows you in Florida?

What do you see when: 1) you have power off to the unit, connect to the pc and power on the unit, does it ask 'connect to the computer?' If yes, do you say 'yes' and, if so, does it show you in Oregon or Florida?

2) same scenario as above BUT have the unit ON when connecting to pc. Where does it show you then?

VinMan: It shows my correct home location when NOT connected to TT Home. It is also giving the incorrect time and the menu items for set clock and brightness aren't highlighted anymore. It's as if TT Home is ignoring the info in my unit.

dhn: Hopefully my response to VinMan sumarized the answer to your questions but I'll be more specific: When connected to the computer, i.e., select yes when prompted and then operate through TT Home, it acts as if the info in my machine is irrelevant but all my old data (recent destinations and correct time) is still there if I disconnect from TT Home wether on just battery or if powered from the USB cable (say no when asked if I want to connect to the computer).

I went ahead and changed my current location in TT Home so that part works now but it really acts as if it isn't communicating to my device.

VinMan: It shows my correct home location when NOT connected to TT Home. It is also giving the incorrect time and the menu items for set clock and brightness aren't highlighted anymore. It's as if TT Home is ignoring the info in my unit.

dhn: Hopefully my response to VinMan sumarized the answer to your questions but I'll be more specific: When connected to the computer, i.e., select yes when prompted and then operate through TT Home, it acts as if the info in my machine is irrelevant but all my old data (recent destinations and correct time) is still there if I disconnect from TT Home wether on just battery or if powered from the USB cable (say no when asked if I want to connect to the computer).

I went ahead and changed my current location in TT Home so that part works now but it really acts as if it isn't communicating to my device.

TomTom HOME has never given me the correct time compared to what is actually on my TomTom. Also, the brightness and clock settings have never been available to me in TomTom HOME.

And, yes, TomTom HOME is its own beast. It is more of a simulator for the most part, thus why you need to tell it where your current location is. It seems like everything is working as it should (even though it 'feels' like things are wrong).

Are you still experiencing that Power-On issue?

Went ahead and deleted TT Home from my computer and reinstalled a fresh download. Things seem to be working in that it now recognizes my recent destinations and current and home locations from my unit. The time and brightness controls still don't illuminate but since you're saying that it's not supposed to, then it's OK.

What did the trick was getting rid of the older version and installing a new one. Guess it's one of the hazards of using this on multiple computers without updating.

For those who helped - thank you and sorry for my "freak out".

The darned power issue is still here. Can only get one power on cycle after disconnect from an external source. Let's take that discussion back to it's original thread so we don't confuse things too much.

Funny, until I read the thread on the one not powering up without being connected, every time I booted mine, It thought I was back in Ohio as well.
I did the cashe cleaner (or whatever it's called) utility and not it know's that I'm on Portland, OR. So mine was only about 2400 miles off...:p:D:rolleyes:

TomTom HOME has never given me the correct time compared to what is actually on my TomTom. Also, the brightness and clock settings have never been available to me in TomTom HOME.

And, yes, TomTom HOME is its own beast. It is more of a simulator for the most part, thus why you need to tell it where your current location is. It seems like everything is working as it should (even though it 'feels' like things are wrong).

Are you still experiencing that Power-On issue?

I've noticed the clock thing too, kind of annoying
:(

I've noticed the clock thing too, kind of annoying
:(

The manual for my 720 unit explicitly says some functions available on the unit are not available when operating TomTom Home. I presume the same thing applies to your model.

the time shows UTC time when the gps unit is connected to the computer. If you compensate for the time you entered in the "set clock - Please set the correct time:" you will find that the time is correct. Also, this is how to compensate for daylight savings, nothing automatic.

--dave

Ask a Question