Tom Tom One 30 - Not charging in car ?

TomTom Model(s)
One 30
Hi,

I Have a Tom Tom One 30, was a friends.. worked fine in his car.

Is now mine, will not charge via the lighter charger (charger led doesnt come on), the cigarette lighter is working fine. Its a genuine charger. I also bought a new one (from Tomtom), and still no LED on charger, hence not charging.

Charges just fine from the PC ...

Its in Peugoet 206 and tried in the other 206 we have ..same problem...:rant:

Anyone got any ideas....?

Thanks in advance.

On some cars, the ciggy lighter contact is too deep for the car charger to make a proper connection. Your model may be such an example........ especially since both cars elicit the same problem.

Are you certain that your car provides power to the cigarette lighter when a charger is plugged in?

It has been over 40 years ago, but I recall being in a French car (I think it was a Citroen, but my memory may be in error) in which the cigarette lighter worked in a different way than any other automobile lighter I had ever seen. As I vaguely remember it, there was something extra that had to be pushed that was not compatible with using the lighter socket for power to an external device.

Also, have you used a power adapter for any other device in your lighter socket with success? If Peugoet has placed the contacts in their lighter in a non-standard location, it may be that a conventional charger is not able to complete the circuit to draw power.

Of course there is also the possibility that your car provides power to the lighter only when the engine ignition switch is on, and you tested with the engine off, but I assume that you have already checked that.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Thanks for the ideas...

I will try in another make of car ...to check the lengths.

But the phone charger works ok in there.. ? Tried with engine running/ignition on...

And yes, its a French made Peugoet ... And has two spade connections to the lighter.

I will speak to a Peugoet mechanic i know, and see if there is anything special about them... But they are a pretty common car ...

May go to a local shop and try one of the multi adaptors to see if it works , before i buy

Thanks for the replies.

Mark

Ask a Question