Tom Tom Major Issue

People,

I just got a Tom Tom Rider Version 2. I got the latest version of map and application.
I have an issue, I can not believe that Tom Tom sells such junk. Why is it that I can not enter Yellowstone National Park or Glacier National Park?

You can do it in Garmin, but not in Tom Tom GPS. Why is that?

People,

I just got a Tom Tom Rider Version 2. I got the latest version of map and application.
I have an issue, I can not believe that Tom Tom sells such junk. Why is it that I can not enter Yellowstone National Park or Glacier National Park?

You can do it in Garmin, but not in Tom Tom GPS. Why is that?
At least in the former case, perhaps because what you're asking for is that the unit arbitrarily pick a spot within an area half again the size of the State of Delaware. Seriously -- try looking up "Delaware" on a GPS. It's going to insist that you get a bit more specific.

If you do the lookup on the Garmin and it succeeds, where on earth do they PUT you? The center? One of the many entrances? They have 3,472 square miles from which to chose a location.

I guess I'm not understanding your expectations nor Garmin's ability to make a sensible decision with that kind of input. As a simple example, Mammoth and Old Faithful are hours apart by car, and are both in the park.

As I reflect on this, I'd be more concerned that the Garmin thought it COULD navigate to so vague a destination than that the TomTom thought it COULDN'T!

Last edited:
Navigate to -> Address

1) Change state to Wyoming-> Pick City "Yellowstone National Park" -> Pick any street you want in the park.

2) Change state to Montana -> Pick City "Glacier National Park" -> Pick any street you want in the park.

If you want you can do Navigate to -> City Center, and then proceed as above and it will point you to the middle of the parks.

Thank you all for your reply. I will be more clearn.

I live in Chicago, I want to ride to Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park and back home. I can not input those two parks. The GPS does not find it. One person said I need to enter the state, but is that the only option?

Thank you for taking the time to help out.

National Parks are both cities and points of interest in tomtom.

Because the only POI option is POI near you or POI in city, you'd have to select a city near the park (and enter the state), so the POI approach isn't any easier than the Navigate to City approach.

I'm not aware of any other way to do this.

So how would you go about entering Yellowstone or Glacier National Park or Walt Disney?
Do I have to know the state and city of each?

So how would you go about entering Yellowstone or Glacier National Park or Walt Disney?
Do I have to know the state and city of each?
Unless you select it as a POI, it treats the entirety of Yellowstone as a city. Heck, it could treat it as a state (grin)! So if you try to navigate to it NOT as a point of interest, yes, you'll have to enter the state first. As someone pointed out, as it is so large, you'll need to pick as you would for a city -- some known address/intersection or the center.

You CAN navigate to any point of interest "near you", understanding that not being "near" it won't show up in the list of 4 pages or so that come up automatically, but you can then "Find" and find things outside of your immediate range. I've never tried to find something in another state that way, but it may well work.

Got it.

I'm amazing how many program/applications are avaialble.
Are these the main programs people are using:
poiedit
poifriend
tyre

I don't have my unit in front of me so I can't know for sure that Tomtom does or does not have those parks but if others able to find them then I think you should learn how to use your device b4 shouting such "You can do it in Garmin, but not in Tom Tom GPS. Why is that?"
MAC vs PC? Unix vs. Windows? Tomtom vs. Garmin?
If you can't deal with one, just go back to the other.

Well, when I called Support Team at Tom Tom, and I asked them how can I look for Yellowstone Park, they told me since I live in Chicago, I need to enter state, city and then enter Yellowstone park. I would just think that I can enter Yellowstone National Park and becuase its only 1 such park in the whole U.S, I would think it would find it.

Please keep your questions on one topic per thread. It is easier to follow and easier for people to answer.

Ask a Question