Tom Tom HOME Upgrade Failure

TomTom Model(s)
Tom Tom HOME 2.7.xxx Upgrade failed:

Error Message "Error opening file for writing:
C:\Program Files\Tom Tom HOME 2\xul\components\HOMEservices.dll"

I have tried uninstalling Tom Tom HOME, no help.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Running on WIN-XP PRO.

Haven't had any problems with Tom Tom HOME until this latest Upgrade from Tom Tom.

I installed the newest version of TT Home on my desktop, also running XP Pro Sp3. Had no problems at all. You might want to disable your Virus and Firewall software during the download and installation. Good luck.

Also, check this......

Start-->Run--services.msc

When the window opens, scroll down to make sure:
1. There is an entry for TomTomHOMEService
and
2. It is set to either manual or automatic but NOT disabled.

If you don't have HomeService showing, then Home hasn't been installed properly. Can you uninstall (using Control Panel's Add/Remove programs & see if it is listed).

I removed anything with TomTom in the name, and it made no difference. The installation is still stopping at the same spot, as rveague has stated. Norton is diabled, but could windows be blocking the installation somehow?

Andy

run chkdsk c: /f and then uninstall home. then delete the folder: c:\program files\tomtom home 2\

if you cant delete the folder change the permissions to editable by everyone, and try again..

Once its deleted try installing HOME again.

Last edited:
Solved it in my situation

The user accounts assigned to both my wife and I have admin privileges. Turns out, my wife left her account logged in and she had TomTomHOMERunner.exe running as a service. I had to open up Task Manager --> Processes tab --> Click the "Show processes from all users" button. Next, I looked for TomTomHOMERunner and there it was running under my wife's account. I killed it and any other TomTom processes and install went off without a hitch.

Hope this can help someone.

P.S. We've got Win7

Thank you for the feedback. I'm sure it will help......

Glad things are sorted for you. :thumb:

Ask a Question