Tom Tom Go 720 freezing

I bought a 720 about 2 and a half years ago, it soon developed a fault where it would shut down at certain points along the A303 in England, but restart instantly. It also would not accept that there were places that began with the letter B. I put up with this, as otherwise it was as reliable as a Volkswagen.

A family holiday looms in august where we will be driving through 5 European countries so I thought time to update the maps. I downloaded the new maps, and struggled to fit them, so ditched a few items like voices and post codes. This resolved the map errors but has started something else.

Since then the Tom tom freezes and will not respond to the touch screen. I have moved the western europe maps to the sd card, and she fires up, but freezes. I am now stuck on the I agree page after doing a soft reset.

Please help as it is driving me nuts, and I had to buy a map!!

Is there a file that needs emptying.??

I have updated religously both internal and card memories.

Help.

Simon.

Devon, England.

By soft reset, you mean a pin reset on the unit?

I'd make an Explorer, not Home, backup of the unit's contents. Then I'd format the internal. Don't use quickformat. And I'd restore the backup, again using Explorer.

See if that helps.........

Thanks for the assistance, my tom tom now is working fine.

This is a great resource and has saved me so much frustration.

Simon.

Yeah, I saved the Western Europe map onto the desktop. Formatted the sd card, moved the Western Europe map to to the sd card. Deleted the map and copied the internal drive to the desk top. Formatted the internal drive, although only a quick format. Then copied the saved internal files back onto the Tom Tom. I then opened Home from my computer, deleted the download file. Reconnected the Tom Tom to the computer, updated both Sd card and internal memory. And now she works, it's such a relief.

Simon.

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup.

But why delete the downloaded map file? Should have at least backed that up to a thumb drive or external storage.

I was wrong, It still freezes. Worked for a time, now stuck on the Language selection. It's like it is not responding to the touch screen.

It's possible that your internal memory is wearing out due to age.

Try clearing out everything on the internal, and copy all the files from your earlier internal backup onto your SD card, in addition to all the other stuff already on the SD card.

Thanks. I have now been in contact with Tom Tom who e-mailed me an earlier version. However I could not get this to work without going on Home, which has then upgraded to latest software. I have everything nearly on the SD card. The screen is still sometimes fast and responsive, and at other times laggy, and defaults to keys on the left hand side when trying to type anywhere else on the key board.

Tom Tom have not replied to any of my e-mails, after the initial phone call.

Simon.

I must have deleted and re-installed a dozen times, nothing seems to make a difference.

If the unit is somehow faulty can I buy a new one and use my purchased maps on it? Over here the cheapest version is just the Island of the uk, I have paid for western europe.

If you do require a new unit, call support and see if they'll make available updated maps for the new unit

Thanks. I have now been in contact with Tom Tom who e-mailed me an earlier version. However I could not get this to work without going on Home, which has then upgraded to latest software.

Try these steps:
- close HOME
- use explorer to back up everything on your internal and external drives (see here)
- format your internal drive (disable quickformat)
- format your SD card (disable quickformat)
- use explorer to copy your internal backup onto the SD card
- use explorer to copy your external backup onto the SD card, overwriting as necessary
- use winrar to extract the contents of this file onto the SD card, again overwriting as necessary (at this point, your internal should still be totally blank).
- use the "safely remove hardware" icon on the lower right taskbar of windows, and stop the Tomtom drive
- unplug the Tomtom and turn it on

Does it work now? If not, what specifically is wrong with it?

I have everything nearly on the SD card. The screen is still sometimes fast and responsive, and at other times laggy, and defaults to keys on the left hand side when trying to type anywhere else on the key board.

If you're having issues with bad keypresses try taking a business card and sliding it all the way around the inside of the screen bezel - could be dirt that is stuck under the bezel

If the unit is somehow faulty can I buy a new one and use my purchased maps on it? Over here the cheapest version is just the Island of the uk, I have paid for western europe.

You can't transfer maps across devices, but new devices will have a Latest Map Guarantee so you can download the most recent map to a new device.

Last edited:
I have spent a few minutes going around the edge of the screen, and now can get a piece of paper about 0.5cm under the lip all the way around. I think this has cleared it out. I have been on a few journeys now and all has been well with instant response from the screen.

Thanks for all your help.

I think it was a combination of the drive and cards being re-formatted, as that did make an improvement, and sorting the screen out. Cheers.

Simon.

I bought a 720 about 2 and a half years ago, it soon developed a fault where it would shut down at certain points along the A303 in England, but restart instantly. It also would not accept that there were places that began with the letter B. I put up with this, as otherwise it was as reliable as a Volkswagen.

A family holiday looms in august where we will be driving through 5 European countries so I thought time to update the maps. I downloaded the new maps, and struggled to fit them, so ditched a few items like voices and post codes. This resolved the map errors but has started something else.

Since then the Tom tom freezes and will not respond to the touch screen. I have moved the western europe maps to the sd card, and she fires up, but freezes. I am now stuck on the I agree page after doing a soft reset.

Please help as it is driving me nuts, and I had to buy a map!!

Is there a file that needs emptying.??

I have updated religously both internal and card memories.

Help.

Simon.

Devon, England.

I've always said to tomtom with many emails that the problem with freezing is the amount of memory in these units and the way this memory is used. Tom tom denies this but this problem happens in the 740 , the 720s. the 920s that I have and many more units. When and if the 1000 comes out with double the memory allotted, this problem will stop or greatly be reduced. Right now nothing you can do which including formatting will never work the way you want it so don't bother

You have an internal memory problem with the unit ,only a repair centre can fix your problem.
[live link removed by moderator - if you're attempting to sell your repair service as you have posted it in numerous posts, please contact our forum administrator regarding paid advertising]
http://www.satnavrepairservice.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question