Tom Tom GO 6200, Keeps Restarting

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom 6200
My Tom Tom Go 6200 has started to restart/reboot 8-10 times when first turned on then it seems to settle down and is fine for the rest of my journey, I use it in 2 cars, one is mounted with the fixed installation kit and the other with the mount that came with it and plugs in the 12v socket, the restart problem happens in both cars. As it is now more then 3 years old I thought it could be the battery so I replaced it but the problem is still there. It is up to date (all the info in my sig) I can connect it to My Drive on my pc without any problems, so now I have run out of idea's, any help would be much appreciated.

There was a map update in July, I always have the Tom Tom plugged in before doing any updates.
Edit, I also get regular Speed Camera updates, the last Application Version was Nov 2021.

I have just done a Factory Reset so will see if that has made any difference and will report back.

Wish that @zetor12 would come back and tell us what happened. This sounds a lot like the problem that others like myself have been encountering. The good news is that there may finally be some activity at TomTom on this issue. Sometimes it is hard to get them moving on a previous generation product.

To others reading:

It's important that you get back to us to let us know, good or bad, how things go when you are working with a bug. Without that, the rest of the community can't be helped by your experience.

Thanks canderson for reminding me, I should have done an update before as I think I have tested the 6200 enough to make my conclusions, I did a reset via the system menu and having used it just about everyday long and short journeys I have had no problems at all, so for me it has solved the problem of it restarting several times when first turned on, I can only assume that it was some corrupt start up file causing this problem. Apologies for taking so long to give this update I hope it may help some with a similar problem.

I have Go 6200 that started the same symptoms earlier in 2022. I thought that it was the battery, so had that replaced.
Mine boots up and stays on for about a minute and then re-starts all over again. I guess this happens several times and eventually gets itself sorted. That takes about 10 - 15 minutes. I first noticed it when I left the car overnight in freezing conditions at an airport and thought that it had killed the battery.
When I leave the unit plugged into a wall socket charger - it again does that same routine, but then afterwards its OK. Ive taken to leave the unit plugged at the mains indoors, and then unplug and use on battery to take into the car. However on the return journey after it has slept, the restart routine happens again.

@PaulSegy
Try turning off cloud access (the "Stop Syncing" button) and see if that stops the rebooting. There's an open ticket at TomTom related to crashing when waking from sleep if cloud is active.

@PaulSegy
Try turning off cloud access (the "Stop Syncing" button) and see if that stops the rebooting. There's an open ticket at TomTom related to crashing when waking from sleep if cloud is active.
I got the same problem, my device (6250 Pro) is restarting when cloud access is on. And I got this problem for about 2 years, so basically can't use mobile application to save bookmarks or send routes to device.
I already tried to reset to factory settings, but when I connect again to my account, device crash and keep restarting.

I got the same problem, my device (6250 Pro) is restarting when cloud access is on. And I got this problem for about 2 years, so basically can't use mobile application to save bookmarks or send routes to device.
I already tried to reset to factory settings, but when I connect again to my account, device crash and keep restarting.
I turn on cloud sync just long enough to move data (POI file or route) to the TomTom, and then I shut off the cloud sync immediately when any necessary transfer is done. So I get all of the function, but it definitely isn't as convenient as being able to leave the cloud sync turned on all the time.

My device started rebooting every few minutes. Finally realised this started when I turned on sync. It was just trying to sync all the time. Stopped once I turned off syncing. However it had failed to sync a new route! Todays problem and chat line (AI) is no use and chatline(person) is shut over the weekend!!

@PaulSegy

Just to jump into this discussion - this ticket seems to be not solved until Today. I was wondering why my device is restarting many times before start to work as before - I read this thread first, and in deed I switch on cloud sync couple of Weeks before. Now I turned it off. Hopefully it will work OK again, but cloud sync would be nice to have though

Just to jump into this discussion - this ticket seems to be not solved until Today. I was wondering why my device is restarting many times before start to work as before - I read this thread first, and in deed I switch on cloud sync couple of Weeks before. Now I turned it off. Hopefully it will work OK again, but cloud sync would be nice to have though
Cloud synchronization you reactivate it only to transfer a route once synchronized you deactivate it again.

Cloud synchronization you reactivate it only to transfer a route once synchronized you deactivate it again.
Since I carried out the operation and switch off syncing, I have never had another issue. Updated whilst plugged in to mains power and have reactivated the syncing. Had no more repeated starts

Since I carried out the operation and switch off syncing, I have never had another issue. Updated whilst plugged in to mains power and have reactivated the syncing. Had no more repeated starts
Updated the firmware? What version do you have now? AFAIK, there's a fix in the works, but hasn't even been beta tested yet.

Had this very issue yesterday. Had to drive to Maidstone to buy a car. Kept rebooting. Not allowing me to log on to mydrive etc. Real pain. No traffic.

I also had this problem and I found a solution that worked for me. Anyone still having this issue could try this.

Go into the settings on your Android phone --> Apps --> MyDrive --> Permissions --> Files and media --> Don't allow.

I was about to give up on trying to find a solution when I stumbled across this by chance. Syncing with MyDrive now works flawlessly.

Last edited:

Ask a Question