Tom Tom following cardinals points

Hi - I am new to GPS so this may be a bit crazy, but here goes.

I have a Tom Tom XL IQ Routes Edition2. Occasionally it somehow 'decides' that it will show me the cardinal direction (NSEW) I am travelling, rather than keeping the arrow point in the direction I am travelling. So at time the arrow will be going from left to right, or even down the screen. There is now compass on the screen, but this is the only explanation for this strange behaviour. The only way I have been able to resolve this is to rest back to factory settings ( using the on screen option)

Any ideas would be most welcome, especially if this is a fault and I need to take it back - it was purchased in January 2011

many thanks

#Hi and welcome!

Can you just confirm which "arrow" you're talking about...

Do you mean the standard blue car cursor at the bottom of the navigation screen?
And you're saying that in 3D driving view it stops pointing vertically?

Or is it the compass needle? (tiny, bottom left) - That ALWAYS points north now (older models/software had the option for it to point towards the destination

Any chance of a picture?

BTW, you should be able to turn the compass display and/or the directions coordinates off in the status bar preferences.(although I have the version 1 XL so the menu options may be different)

Last edited:
See if it always points north, no matter which direction you are traveling. When I first got a Tomtom, took me a while to figure out what the blue arrow was for.

Hi Andy P,

Thanks for the quick response. I was referring to the blue 'car’ arrow, - I was not even aware of the small compass needle (tiny, bottom left) ! It was this ‘car’ arrow that was shown in various orientations , rather than just travelling forward. What I can’t say is whether the small compass needle moved as I drove, but I will monitor this when I next use the SatNav. Sorry no pictures, but again will take if this happens again.

One small thing – I can change the settings to show the directions in degrees, but can’t find any option to modify or turn off the compass needle.

Dash8 I will monitor the direction of the arrow and let you know where it points.

Finally, compliments to the Forum as a whole and you two for responding so quickly – many thanks. .

Hi Andy P,

Thanks for the quick response. I was referring to the blue 'car’ arrow, -.

And this was on the 3D view?
Something like this?...So the cursor didn't look like the top picture any more, but twisted like the bottom two?
Rotated_cursor.jpg

Forgive me if I'm being slow... it's just I've never seen anthing like that happening! (The above pic.s are a photoshop mock-up).

One small thing – I can change the settings to show the directions in degrees, but can’t find any option to modify or turn off the compass needle..

As I say, the menus on the XL"2" will be a bit different, so it might be in a different place (or you might not be able to turn it off at all) but on my XL Live it's in Change preferences/ Status Bar preferences / 3rd screen in...

Settings_menu_Compass.jpg

Ask a Question