Tom Tom 930T keeps losing connection with phone

Hi,

I have a 930T, the problem is when I try to use the bluetooth handsfree, the phone and the tom tom keeps on disconnecting and re-connecting. It did work fine when I first got it but not now. It is driving me mad.
Please help someone.
Thanks
Brian.

I have been do some looking on the internet and it seems this is a very common problem. Alot of people are say to go back to Firmware 8.302. does anyone have a link to this.

One thing you can try doing is turn off Bluetooth on the phone, go to the Tomtom, and tell it to connect to the phone. It shouldn't work(since Bluetooth is off). Then, turn on Bluetooth on the phone again, and then tell the Tomtom to connect again. It MAY solve it, or it may not.

If that fails, you can try pulling the battery from the phone, wait 30 seconds and plug it back in to make sure it isn't a problem on the phone side(The PalmOS versions of the Palm Treo phones have some issues that require this from time to time). You may also want to do a "pin reset" on your Tomtom and see if that helps.

Finally, if that fails, delete the phone from the Tomtom(under Manage Phones), and then re-add it. It is possible the settings have gotten corrupted along the way.

I conntacted tom tom customer services and this is what they sent me.

We suggest that you reset your HandsFree connection, to do this, please follow the steps below:-

- Check to see if your phone is compatible with the TomTom device and can be used with Handsfree. See TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems
- Check that your TomTom device has handsfree capability. Not all TomTom devices have this feature.

Only the Go 500, Go 700, Go 510, Go 710, Go 910, Go 520, Go 720 and Go 920 have this feature. Please note that the TomTom One, TomTom One XL range does not have Handsfree calling.

- Connect your TomTom to your computer and switch it on.
- Open TomTom Home and download the latest application and phone database updates.
- Disconnect your TomTom to finish the installation of any updates.

- Reconnect your TomTom to the computer.
- Close TomTom Home completely. (On a PC you will need to close TomTom Home from the system tray in the bottom right hand corner of your screen. To the left of the computer clock, you should see a red icon for TomTom Home. Right click on it and choose exit)
- Click on the following link to follow the instructions in how to install the TomTom Clear Flash tool-
TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product
- Follow the instructions on this webpage in how to install the clear flash tool to your device.

- Reset your TomTom to factory settings via the Change Preferences Menu
- Reset your TomTom with a paperclip in the reset hole for 20 seconds, see TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product

- On your Mobile phone remove all Bluetooth bondings from the phone
- Remove the phones battery for a few seconds, then reinsert the battery.

- Turn the phone back on and make sure it is visible for other Bluetooth devices
- On the TomTom, tap onto the Mobile Phone icon to initiate the hands free connection.

Your Handsfree connection should now be set up correctly. To test this out, try calling a landline number via the TomTom, and also try calling your Mobile Phone number from a landline.

The last post I got from tom tom still did not work so I conntacted them again and this is what they sent me. This time it did work so I hope it can help someone else who has same problem.

Please follow the steps below:-

Check with your Network Provider that you have Full Unrestricted GPRS.
Confirm that the SIM card used is fully GPRS enabled. This means that the Binary Code has to be enabled.
Confirm that they haven?t closed any critical ports.
Ask your provider to supply you with the proper settings, APN, DNS, IP, login script etc.
If this still fails, contact the phone manufacturer to check if the mobile phone uses the latest available software version. This can only be updated by the phone provider.

If you have changed the SIM card of your mobile phone, you may not have the correct GPRS settings installed on your phone. You will need to contact your Service provider to find out what settings you should be using. On some phones, they are locked to a specific network and if you change the SIM card, you will find that you do not have full access to GPRS.

If you have checked with your Network Provider, then follow these steps below:-

STEP 1 Check Compatibility
- Check to see if your phone is compatible with the TomTom device and can be used for PLUS services. See TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems
If your Phone is not compatible, we are unable to support any incompatible mobile phone.

STEP 2 Update your TomTom
- Connect your TomTom to your computer and switch it on.
- Open TomTom Home and download the latest application and phone database updates.

STEP 3 Reset your TomTom
- Reset the TomTom device to factory settings (Change preferences > Reset to factory settings)
- Reset the TomTom for 20 seconds with a paperclip in the reset hole. See TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product

STEP 4 Reset your Phone
- On your Mobile phone remove all Bluetooth bondings from the phone
- Remove the phones battery for a few seconds, then reinsert the battery.
- Turn the phone back on and make sure it is visible for other Bluetooth devices

STEP 5 Set the Connection again
- Tap onto the TomTom Weather Icon to initiate the Wireless Data Connection setup.
- Let the TomTom search for nearby phones and follow the on screen instructions

- If the TomTom is not able to setup the Wireless Internet Connection automatically, follow the manual setup as explained on our website,
see TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product

We also suggest that you try to connect your TomTom to another compatible Mobile Phone that has full unrestricted GPRS access.

I'm having a similar sounding problem with both of my phones on my Go 630. For both my KRZR K1M and my wife's LG VX9900, while handfree calling works just fine, every few minutes I have to hear 'Susan' say "Connected to apkcell!" It's so annoying that I'm about to turn off all spoken alerts. I wish there was a fix.

ApK

I just had a similar problem after I tried the 'Buddies' feature - invited one. As soon as I deleted this 'Buddy', the problem stopped. However, when I shut it down and then later switched back on, the buddy was still there, so I deleted the \contacts\buddies.dat file from the device and replaced it with a an empty one with same name. After that the 'fix' was permanent.

Last edited:

Ask a Question