Tom Tom 920

My spoken dialog which used to be operable is now unavailable. the icon is shaded. What is going on? How do i fix it?

thanks in advance!

cheers!

pearlander:confused:

My spoken dialog which used to be operable is now unavailable. the icon is shaded. What is going on? How do i fix it?

thanks in advance!

cheers!

pearlander:confused:
Do you mean it won't respond to voice commands, or that it isn't pronouncing street names, etc?

If the former, you may have just lost the little file that enables it. In the ASR folder, you need the support_asr.dat file. It contains ONLY the number "1" without any trailing carriage returns, etc. Easy to create with NotePad or similar if need be.

If the latter, it sounds like you've moved from a "computer" voice to one of the more limited ones. What is the name of the voice you are using?

Do you mean it won't respond to voice commands, or that it isn't pronouncing street names, etc?

If the former, you may have just lost the little file that enables it. In the ASR folder, you need the support_asr.dat file. It contains ONLY the number "1" without any trailing carriage returns, etc. Easy to create with NotePad or similar if need be.

If the latter, it sounds like you've moved from a "computer" voice to one of the more limited ones. What is the name of the voice you are using?

Thank you veruy much for your help, in spite of my poorly worded question. I'll try to do better with this question. I did do as you suggested. The first thing i found was the support_asr.dat. once opened with notepad, i found it contained a space and a carriage return after the number 1. I removed the space and CR then saved and closed the file.

It did not help my problem. When the user is 'navigating to an address' the icon that let's the user to speak the address the icon is shaded gray, therefore not available to tap. I know I used to be able to tap the navigate to icon, then tap the icon to speak the address, but no longer. I hope i was able to articulate the question better, and I certainly would appreciate any assistance.

Ray

When you saved the support_asr.dat file, are you SURE it was not saved as support_asr.dat.txt. ??

Control Panel-->Folder Options-->View-->Advanced, make sure 'hide extensions for known file types in UNCHECKED.

And you do have a computer voice selected?

Thank you very much. Yes I have chosen Susan, a standard voice that is a computer, and you the settings are as you asked and I am confident the support_asr.dat did not have the txt extension.

I'm thinking the answer is to have this file uncorrupted in the asr subfolder. I have this file in the asr directory. I presum that is the propery folder for this file to be in. so with all that said, it shold work, right or are other things that could be the root cause.

I appreciate any help or suggestions.

ray

Try a pin reset on the unit.

Thank you for your response and suggestion. I did a reset per the directions on how to do so. Sad to say, nothing changed. I was trying to avoid losing and favorites data. This should be an esy fix. I was using this feature 3 weeks ago. Now? zip, nada, zero. i am guessing only a reset to factory settings or is there anytghing else i might chcek.

thanks

ray

Do you have another computer voice available? If so, select that one and see if it makes a difference.

Do you have another computer voice available? If so, select that one and see if it makes a difference.

Yes I did that, in fact tried a couple of different one, but to no avail. should i reset to factory settings?

thank you

ray

Yes I did that, in fact tried a couple of different one, but to no avail. should i reset to factory settings?

thank you

ray
If you do, be sure to use your PC to save a copy of your mapsettings.cfg file from your unit. That holds your favorites. At least you can save those by copying that file back to your unit later.

There are three key requirements to get the microphone to show up:

1) have the support file with the 1, as mentioned earlier. The specific filename and location might be case sensitive:
\ASR\support_asr.dat

2) In your map folder (North America), there should be a cspeech_xx.dat file for the state you're in

3) Go to navigate to -> address, and make sure a state is selected on the upper right, and not USA

Ask a Question