Tom Tom 730 wont turn on or connect to pc

Sorry I not very computer smart. If you can explain to me I will try anything right as I am going on vacation next week and really need this unit to work.

Here's hoping he can even find the map, dhn. His previous note says "...but when I try to open it I get the files are corrupt and unreadable."

Hmmm.., if the device it operating correctly on its own, there's no way he could actually have a bunch of corrupt files -- it would bomb in normal use. So one suspects there must still be a problem on the cable/PC end of things.

To the OP -- can you confirm that your device works normally in your vehicle?

I have also have an XL 340S that will not connect to any computer. I have tried every solution on the web with no luck. I can see it as a removable disk drive but when I try to open it I get the files are corrupt and unreadable. Can someone please tell me how to fix this???
If I understand you correctly, when you connect the USB cable from your GPS to your computer, your PC file manager (typically Windows Explorer) sees the GPS as a drive and you can see a list of file names on that "drive".

Those files should also include some directories (folders). If you click on the folders, do they open up and display additional files inside the folder?

- Tom -

Correct I use to see the GPS as a drive I no longer see this and when I click on the drive now i get this message...F:\ is not accessible. The File or directory is corrupted and unreadable. I have check my usb cable with other devices and they work fine. I have no way of uploading new files or maps because the device is not connected. I am very frustrated with this I really need help to get this working again.

Still wish to verify that the device operates normally when in use in your vehicle. If so, we can focus exclusively on the connection issue.

Ah, OK. So the unit itself is hosed. From the beginning of your portion the thread, I was unable to determine if this was a 'connect only' problem or an actual problem in use of the unit. What you are seeing on your PC may indeed be the state of the device.

Here's the rub. In most situations like this, we have the user completely reformat the unit with the PC. However, in your case, without any backup, you're missing the ONE thing that you need to make the process painless. With no map backup, you might be on the hook for the purchase of a new map.

So before we head you off to format land, we need to see if by chance you have a map copy that you don't know about.

When you FIRST bought the unit, did you take advantage of the "Latest Map Guarantee" that allows you to download the most current map for the unit you bought? If so, do you still have the same PC on which that action was performed? If so, and unless you manually deleted it for some reason, you will have a North American map still there on your PC that we can use.

If not the above, have you EVER paid for a map to update the original? Again, that map would still be resident on the PC upon which that action was performed.

no i have never purchased maps and the pc I have has been reload twice since getting my unit. I will have to check once I get home in about 40 minutes. What should I be looking for???

Use Explorer to go here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

Do you see anything listed there with an extension of .cab??

Well I'm afraid that's it then.
The internal memory contents (including the map) have corrupted, and you have no backup of the unit, and do not have a copy of the map saved anywhere.

That limits your options rather.

Assuming it is not permanently damaged, you can reformat the internal memory (using Windows Explorer) and you can get Home to re-install the software, voices etc.

But you'll then have to buy a new map and install it as a download (via Home).

Ask a Question