Tom Tom 720 making big circles.:)

Well sort of.:)

I did and update recently to my 720.

Before the update, if I missed a turn I would get turn around if possible, most of the time.

Now the 720 takes me around the block. Unfortunately, out in the boonies or out in the country side, that block can be and has been several miles.

I do some routes that have about 30 to 40 stops most days. That around the block ends up wasting time and gas!!!!!!!!!!!

Am I hallucinating? Or did Tom Tom change some algorithm or AI in the latest update. Maybe too many people running into a ditch while making u-turns or worse?
I don?t like it?????.Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

TT its fair to say have their fair share of fixes. In frustration at constant miscalculations about 6 months ago an arrogant ozy techo suggested i need to try " calculate alternative" after it had been working properly for almost a year. Funny 3 days alter a 50mb update gets pushed down and Guess what...no more problems. The new IQ routes do look to have more questionable routing and recalculations. I have 2 maps installed and ironically the older one ( not IQ ) and certainly not accuratee for things like Mangatafurry ( bugger i dont know the correct spelling..throw us a bone ) bypass not on there is actually getter to drive with. I think i'm up to 795 map changes.

Yeah.... I've been seeing it do this for ages and ages... I find it incredibly frustrating.

I can see whats happening. The GPS especially on main roads must be thinking its too dangerous to do a U-Turn. Instead it makes you go around the block. If you ask me.. that's more dangerous.

In my opinion this is a major bug and I can't understand why TT haven't actually fixed it yet, but I really wish they would.

Yeah.... I've been seeing it do this for ages and ages... I find it incredibly frustrating.

I can see whats happening. The GPS especially on main roads must be thinking its too dangerous to do a U-Turn. Instead it makes you go around the block. If you ask me.. that's more dangerous.

In my opinion this is a major bug and I can't understand why TT haven't actually fixed it yet, but I really wish they would.

Yes its frustrating that tomtom likes right turns for exits. This is a known probem you just have to keep sending tomtom mapshare corrections correcting these left turn problems.

The strange thing is.. That won't do anything.. Because the corner actually says that you can do a U-Turn at that itI. Its not a bug with the corners.. its a bug with the software as a whole..

I used to find atleast 10 addresses a day during my job and I had the same issue every address I went to. It took you around the block to get you to the "side of the road" that the address you typed on. This same problem causes actual a few other issues to but its all related. Routing should take you to the closest point.. then do a U-Turn.. not around the block or right around the suburb in some cases.

Most certainly do.. I've paid around $220 for updates of late..got the latest as far as I know.. 1 update when I asked when the new updates were coming out.. I got a generic reply saying that i can get the latest updates from here.. I replied to them.. no, that's not what I asked.. a few months later I went looking again and there was an update.. I was so angry.. its the last time I do an update again.. so much for customer service!!! And I do have the most recent v8 updates

Last edited:
See this thread. I guess the uturn delay wasn't in the original application, but it's been in updates for at least a year.

Just having a look at tht.. in my opinion.. its not good enough.. I don't see how a 5 min delay should stop anything. Then having to do it for every single U-Turn.. nah.. it should be default for ALL U-Turns that they are used because its a big time waster and if your not really watching u end up going all the way out of your way before you get to where your going...

TOM TOM.. I'm pleading.. fix this please!!

Thanks for all the replies and info.

Sorry, for taking so long in checking this post. Buttttt I was busy taking the long way around after missing my turns....LOL

I do not have the latest maps. At this point I refuse to pay that much for updates that may be of dubious value. My travel is primarily in the southern part of my home state.

I will reiterate, before I did the latest update to my Tom Tom, this "run around" with making me "go around the block" did not occur. It does not appear to have anything to do with legal U-turns.

So, some of your replies were not quite what I am experiencing. I do appreciate all the replies nevertheless.

Thanks again to all.

Mine does the same thing as of late. It used to say, "turn around when possable." Now it takes me around the block. I agree that this is a time and money waster!
Any fixes would be great.

If you have an earlier 7xx series map, you can downgrade to an earlier application.

I'm not sure when the Uturn change occurred, but you can try app 7.221, as it was one of the most stable applications for the 720. Download this cab file and use winrar to extract its contents to the Tomtom (overwriting files when prompted).

well that would be one

Way "to skin a cat"...........:)

Again tanx for the input and sorry for taking so long, ben driving in circles:)

What would I be missing by downgrading?

Downgrading is against all the the principles of a NERD..........LOL

How about an option in the AI that lets you decide how much you want to avoid.....U-turns or not?

I will sign a release if I have to>:)

or???????????

What would I be missing by downgrading?

- App 7.221 cannot read map 800 or later. This means you can't use IQroutes and Lane Guidance which are only available on the newer maps
- I don't think app 7.221 lets you mapshare a turn restriction nor speed limit in realtime.
- There may be problems with traffic, too. But I'm not 100% sure of this one

Thanks for the quick reply.

What I have learned to do is zoom out when I think the 720 may be rerouting me the long way.

I use the remote, so its easy enough. I can spot the 'long way around" and make a u-turn on my own:)

I will keep doing that for the time being.

Have fun!!!!!!!!

Ask a Question