tom tom 720 auto switch off

Hi all,
I had a system failure with my first Tom Tom 720. this was replaced in due course.
The new 720 is switching off after about 5 minutes when connected up to car power source. It gives me a 10 second warning then switched off. When re activated it carries on where it left off.
I cannot seem to find any menu item to adjust this unit to keep the display on until I reach the destination or I switch it off. If this is a mal function then it constitutes a safety hazard as you are continual watching for the 10 second warning, so as to over ride it. This reduces you concentration on the road conditions.

If any one can help me with this issue I would appreciate it. the last problem took 8 weeks to resolve!!!

thanks in advance
Lew

Hi all,
I had a system failure with my first Tom Tom 720. this was replaced in due course.
The new 720 is switching off after about 5 minutes when connected up to car power source. It gives me a 10 second warning then switched off. When re activated it carries on where it left off.
I cannot seem to find any menu item to adjust this unit to keep the display on until I reach the destination or I switch it off. If this is a mal function then it constitutes a safety hazard as you are continual watching for the 10 second warning, so as to over ride it. This reduces you concentration on the road conditions.

If any one can help me with this issue I would appreciate it. the last problem took 8 weeks to resolve!!!

thanks in advance
Lew

Things to look at.

In Preferences-->Battery Savings-->Do you have the option to turn off when external power lost checked?

Are your battery charger connections solid, both to the unit and into the opening in the car?

Have you tried a pin reset?

Same issue

I recently purchased my 720 and I am having the same issue. When connected to the car charger it cuts off after about 5 min with 10 second warning to tap the screen to continue. If I just use battery power no problem. I use other devices through this power outlet .no problem. My car is a 2007 accura TL so I dont think it is an electrical issue..any advice?

Thanks,
Jay

I recently purchased my 720 and I am having the same issue. When connected to the car charger it cuts off after about 5 min with 10 second warning to tap the screen to continue. If I just use battery power no problem. I use other devices through this power outlet .no problem. My car is a 2007 accura TL so I dont think it is an electrical issue..any advice?

Thanks,
Jay

When you first got your unit, did you fully charge it for 2-4 hours while docked to the computer? The guide spells this out.

Hi DhN,

Yes I gave it a full charge as was spelled out in the manual.. I am pretty rigid when it comes to preparing lithium and other rechargable battaries. I called TT support and the are sending me out a new car power adapter..The quickness of the resolution made me think that they have been experiencing this issue enough that they don't give you the run around. I will post back once I receive it try it out..

Thanks,
Jay

similiar problem

I had the same problem a while ago when connecting the car power supply. I found that I don't get the problem if I turn the 720 on after I've connected the power supply. Try your sequence of connection to see if it has an impact. Basically my unit thought it was being connected to a computer and gave me the USB screen. Once saying "no" to connect to computer the unit will shut off if no activity is taking place.

Ask a Question