Tom Tom 3rd Edition Auto Shutdown?

It seems when I leave my car in my garage, i have it set to turn off screen...

Now when I go to it in the morning to touch the screen for it to light up... the unit is off? Why is it Auto-Shutting down after a certain period of time?

No the battery is not dead, its almost at full when I turn the damn thing back on!

I just saw another thread saying it wont auto shutdown... but mine is after about 3 hrs of it on with the screen off!

Now when I go to it in the morning to touch the screen for it to light up... the unit is off? Why is it Auto-Shutting down after a certain period of time?

No the battery is not dead, its almost at full when I turn the damn thing back on!

I just saw another thread saying it wont auto shutdown... but mine is after about 3 hrs of it on with the screen off!

Same problem here on a 920. It wants to shut down ofter 3-4 minutes, even though I have no prefs calling for this.

What configuration settings did you make so that it turns off the screen when you turn off your car?

Yeah, i've not seen [on my 720] any available settings, that have anything to do with shutdown.

Where's this located ??

Change Pref-->Battery Savings Preferences (page 7, I think). You get two screens. Make a choice on the first and you see the second about switching off when external power lost.

Change Pref-->Battery Savings Preferences (page 7, I think). You get two screens. Make a choice on the first and you see the second about switching off when external power lost.

No, these settings make no difference. This is a widely reported bug (if not an astonishing one. The unit actually shuts off in the middle of navigating if about 3 minutes has passed.)

OK, I have my TT One 3rd Edition configured like yours, I believe. When I turn the car off, the screen almost immediately fades to black. If I'm running a fairly quick errand, and I get back in the car a short time later (like within 15 minutes) and touch the screen, the One turns the screen back on.

Are you saying that if you don't touch the screen for a longer period, like 3 hours, the One turns fully off? I haven't had enough time to test if mine behaves this way. To be honest, I hope it does. I've been whining for over a month that I wish the One would turn off when I turn off the car. I would settle for initially just turning off the screen, then turning off the unit completely some time later.

Does anyone know how long it takes before the One 3rd Edition, with the screen turned off, decides to perform a complete power off? 1 hour? 2 hours? 3 hours?

OK, I have my TT One 3rd Edition configured like yours, I believe. When I turn the car off, the screen almost immediately fades to black. If I'm running a fairly quick errand, and I get back in the car a short time later (like within 15 minutes) and touch the screen, the One turns the screen back on.

Are you saying that if you don't touch the screen for a longer period, like 3 hours, the One turns fully off? I haven't had enough time to test if mine behaves this way. To be honest, I hope it does. I've been whining for over a month that I wish the One would turn off when I turn off the car. I would settle for initially just turning off the screen, then turning off the unit completely some time later.

Does anyone know how long it takes before the One 3rd Edition, with the screen turned off, decides to perform a complete power off? 1 hour? 2 hours? 3 hours?

This is a different issue. When the unit is plugged into either the car adapter or a the cradle, it will suddenly go into shutdown mode. It will countdown from 10, and then turn off. Everyone's reporting that this doesn't happen right away, usually after a period of using it, and then suddenly this behavior starts. Changing the prefs does nothing. Resetting the unit often does nothing as well, as in my case (or restoring the unit to factory default settings.)

The only way to stop this behavior is to unplug it altogether and run it off its battery. It seems that when the unit is fully charged, then it goes into this mode from what I've read.

This is a different issue. When the unit is plugged into either the car adapter or a the cradle, it will suddenly go into shutdown mode. It will countdown from 10, and then turn off. Everyone's reporting that this doesn't happen right away, usually after a period of using it, and then suddenly this behavior starts. Changing the prefs does nothing. Resetting the unit often does nothing as well, as in my case (or restoring the unit to factory default settings.)

The only way to stop this behavior is to unplug it altogether and run it off its battery. It seems that when the unit is fully charged, then it goes into this mode from what I've read.

I disagree in this case. The original poster said that he has a TT One 3rd Edition, which is the same unit I have. The One 3rd Edition does not have an auto power off on loss of external power mode. The omission of this feature is something I've been griping about for a long time, especially since other versions of the One do have auto power off. People who own other TomTom models question the accuracy of what I'm saying about this, because their TomToms do have auto power off. Trust me, as of this writing, the One 3rd Edition does not auto power off. I've been hoping for TomTom to issue a firmware update that will address this omission.

A feature that the One 3rd Edition does have is the ability to turn off the screen on loss of external power. This is a feature that I never experimented with until today when I read the original post in this thread. I would be pleased to learn that the One 3rd Edition will eventually auto power off some time after it turns off its screen. I'm waiting until I (and other One 3rd Edition owners) have more opportunities to experiment and figure out how this feature really operates.

Yes, you're right---I'm slightly off topic here.

To be honest, I think the only auto-off feature in the 920 is if external power is lost. The auto-shutdown bug that I have described above is not a desirable shutdown since it occurs while navigating and there's no way to stop it.

OK, so here's what I've discovered so far.

I have my One 3rd Edition configured to turn off the screen when the unit looses external power. I drove to work this morning, and the TomTom had a full charge when I arrived at the office. I turned off the car, and the screen faded to black.

When I got out of work this evening, I got in the car and touched the screen. The screen did not light up; in fact, the unit was powered off completely. I turned the unit on, then checked the battery charge. It said that the battery was approximately 75% full.

The One has a battery life of approximately two hours when the screen stays on. I don't know what the battery life is when the unit is on but the screen is off. I'm guessing that the unit stayed on with the screen off for some number of hours, then eventually powered off completely.

So here's the problem. During the work week, my drive to/from work is only 20 minutes. I can't charge the One's battery 25% in 20 minutes. So it seems to me that I will be discharging the battery faster than I will be charging it. Eventually the battery will be almost completely discharged.

I will keep using the One is this way for the rest of the week and see if I'm right.

TT730 bug>

Bobaloolie:
do I understand you correctly? If the battery on the TT is at full charge the unit will shut down? I have a TT730 that I just bought a couple of days ago and now the screen is going off after a short time.

Ask a Question