Tom 630 loses nav screen and goes to Police station screen

The unit will work fine for most of the day then pops over to the police station screen. I hit back and get back to the nav screen but it won't hold there. Keeps going to that same screen. Thoughts and suggestions please...

It used to be that whenever we'd see a post like yours from a 6X, 7X or 9X user, the normal causes 99.9% of the time were either:
1. dirt under the bezel which the sliding of a sharp corner of a business card around the perimeter would fix, or
2. A dried out screen protector causing undo pressure on the screen, resulting in phantom keystrokes.

Sadly, the month or so, we're seeing many complaints like yours where the above suggestions don't work. One school of thought is the entire case is getting warped from the heat, causing the screen pressure. Sometimes, looseing off the screws on the back **slightly** helps.

Try the first two suggestions, though.

I just acquired a TT 730, and experienced the same thing yesterday. Random switching through the police sites with no inputs to the screen. The problem then appeared to clear just as mysteriously. The moderator seemed to indicate that this is an ongoing problem. If it is what is the solution?

Other than the tips about cleaning the bezel, removing a screen protector and keeping the unit in a cool location, no permanent solution

Other than the tips about cleaning the bezel, removing a screen protector and keeping the unit in a cool location, no permanent solution
This is starting to pop up on 630 and 730 units so frequently this summer that I wonder if we should see if there is any way to make contact with TPTB to see if they are aware of this and have any plan for dealing with it? Sure hate to see so many users struggling with this.

The problem - of course - will be one of warranty ... but perhaps they can at least provide some 'unofficial' suggestions.

I wonder if we should see if there is any way to make contact with TPTB to see if they are aware of this and have any plan for dealing with it?

Go for it..... you have the power! :cool:

Tom tom go 630

We own two of these models and both began to screw up this summer, (screen flashes to police stations). Never happened before and we have had thes for a few years. It MUST be a defect in the unit, and should be fixed by TOM TOM. Anyone have any updates ?:(

The Model is GO 630

Last edited:
An interesting suggestion as to the nature of the problem has appeared on another forum, and I plan to do some experiments with this on Sunday. Unfortunately, I do not have a unit that fails this way, but I am going to try to induce the failure. It's a heat/mechanical issue that seems to become worse over time. With luck, we may be able to come up with a DIY solution if TomTom isn't responsive.

I've seen TomTom UK has been replacing out-of-warranty units for some people there who have this problem, but have not yet seen TomTom US doing anything about it.

An interesting suggestion as to the nature of the problem has appeared on another forum, and I plan to do some experiments with this on Sunday. Unfortunately, I do not have a unit that fails this way, but I am going to try to induce the failure. It's a heat/mechanical issue that seems to become worse over time. With luck, we may be able to come up with a DIY solution if TomTom isn't responsive.

I've seen TomTom UK has been replacing out-of-warranty units for some people there who have this problem, but have not yet seen TomTom US doing anything about it.

Thank you for the info.

Last edited:
Add another to the list

I'm on the phone with Tom Tom support in Canada. Agent says they've been getting a lot of calls about this issue with the 630. He says the problem is that the GPS is acting like it has been reported stolen, hence the police station option. he's leading me through a fix now. Sounds strange to me. Working on a fix with them now. Will report back.

I think that's a dumb answer provided by CS (unit acting as if stolen!!!) but report back, please...............

I agree. Still working on it. He's managed to erase everything, and now can't get a map on the device. I doubt there's a high risk of success here.

Geez.........I hope you've got a backup (hopefully, Explorer, NOT Home) prior to his 'fixing' it'!!!!

I'm on the phone with Tom Tom support in Canada. Agent says they've been getting a lot of calls about this issue with the 630. He says the problem is that the GPS is acting like it has been reported stolen, hence the police station option.
Geez ... you would probably be better off hanging up on the poor fellow and calling back to see if you can find someone who has a clue. If you've been reading through the threads here, the problem has always proved to be a mechanical issue with the bezel or dirt under it.

I was thinking the same thing, and was about to bring up the mechanical causes described here, but he had just been discussing it with others there and said it was a common issue lately, leading me to think they were aware of it and how to fix the issue.

Still working on it...

:yawn:

CS led me through wiping and reinstall of 630 software/ maps. Asked me to clean screen, which I had already done. I don't see any grit in the gasket, and haven't used a plastic card to clean it yet. It seems to be working now, but in my case the "nearest police station" bug only starts after an hour or so of driving. My wife and I were joking that it may be trying to get me to turn myself in for speeding.

I will monitor and report back on success.

I completed the full swipe and reboot. I have not had a chance to get it on the road, but left it on all afternoon without issue. Will be taking it on the road soon, will report back.

It seems to be working now, but in my case the "nearest police station" bug only starts after an hour or so of driving.
It's taking that long for any ambient heat and the heat from operation to begin to warp the bezel material.

Where is your unit mounted? What are your local temperatures at the present?

GO 730 screen switching

I have had the same problem on one of my GO 730's. The problem is definitely failure of the screen digitizer. I did weeks of bench testing with various temperatures etc and using a cooling spray jet. Changing a full screen fixed the problem and then further localised it by replacing the the digitizing screen only. Cost around $5 on eBay.Requires some carefull removal and some delicate resoldering.

Ask a Question