'Today' reviewed GPS units

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom XL-335TM; Map 935.5811
On the NBC's Today show (Tuesday, Mar. 4, 2008), they reviewed three different GPS units to show whether a person needs to spend more money to get better directions to your destination. The units reviewed were, Garmin Nuvi, Magellen (forget which model) and the TomTom ONE 3rd edition. Prices ranged from $750 (Nuvi) down to $169 (TT 3rd edition). They navigated in one of the worst cities for changing roads... Boston, MA. Of the three units, only the TomTom found 'Day St.'... the other two you had to know the old name of the street. None of the three units could find the house number however -- but they got them close. All three units got their drivers to the what ever desitination they tried, but the TomTom got them there first. :D

The conclusion was you did not have to spend more money to find a destination... unless you wanted more bells and whistles like blue tooth or text-to-speech.

The feature was called, "Putting GPS units to the Test". There's a video there, but I couldn't get it to play.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/
...click right arrow to see video choices.

Last edited:
i work in cambridge, ma, and frequently travel to boston...i am thrilled to hear that they tested the units in boston...as it is a notorious city for changing streets....thanks big dig!...:D
glad to hear the TT1 took the trophy. it;s what i have, it;s what i use, it;s what i love.
GO TOMTOM!

Fusion

i work in Cambridge, ma, and frequently travel to boston...i am thrilled to hear that they tested the units in boston...as it is a notorious city for changing streets....thanks big dig!...:D
glad to hear the TT1 took the trophy. it;s what i have, it;s what i use, it;s what i love.
GO TOMTOM!

Fusion
I've got to say that of all the cities I've driven in, Boston has to be one of the worst! Everyone is quick to blow their horn if you don't move as fast as you can from a red light or making a turn.

Early on with the "Big Dig" (maybe in 2002), we were trying to get to the port. We could see some tall masts of ships in the distance. I asked a police officer for directions on getting to the port. He thought for awhile and actually said, "I don't think you can get there from here"... and he was serious. :eek:

I wish they'd have said about map share, thats something that comes with tomtom and doesn't cost extra, but it's all good.
Yeah, I guess they didn't want to spend too much time explaining it, and they really tried to appear impartial, and not make one of them look any better than the others. You could also tell how clueless Meredith Viera is, "I'll just buy a map", yeah right, good luck with that Meredith. Once you use a GPS, you'll never fool with a map ever again!!!

Ask a Question