To switch or not to switch

I found these forums yesterday and have learned a great deal already. So thank you folks.

I bought a TT1 on Sunday and without even knowing landed the new version (v4). However, on connecting it to my Vista desktop, TT Home deleted the maps and the cust service told me to get a new device.

On exchange I got an old version with older maps and an SD card (of course). Now after all the reading here, I am a little confused. I don't know if I am going to get a map upgrade or not because the Tomtom site has been down for almost two days. Talking to their cust service was a complete waste of time. The person actually told me to get a third one and look for the serial to start with a 'z' to get a new version.

However, I am not sure if it would be a wise move to do that. As I see it, the only way to get a possible map DVD is to have the old version and the good thing about getting the map DVD is that I will have the NA maps too.

Now I am also reading about a newer version of maps (6.75) and who knows when I ask for the upgrade I might get those. Seeing all these benefits, should I stick with the old version (if it qualifies for the map upgrade)? Is there any other way to get the NA (only) maps with the new version (since it comes with 665.1293 already loaded anyway)?

Thanks for any inputs.

I would get the newer version.
As the other post already discussed, the map v665 and v6.75 is identical maps
with different delivery... v665 was sent on DVD and v 6.75 will be able to be downloaded
I am just not sure you are able to get the upgrade anymore...

Did that yesterday. But they said they could not do anything. They would not let me order and they would not even tell me if I can get the maps.

Did that yesterday. But they said they could not do anything. They would not let me order and they would not even tell me if I can get the maps.

Really? Well IMHO, I would stick with the TT1 v2 for 2 reasons:

1. Even having the latest USA/Canada map with the v3, the PC code won't let you order the DVD because you have the latest version
2. If you were able to get the DVD, you still need a 2GB SD card to install the NA maps and when an SD card is used in the new v3, the internal memory is disabled making it useless

Ask a Question