To Charge or not to Charge?

I used the one last week, and it served me very well but left me wanting a bit more. The 910 is on it's way as I type. I've read some confusing threads on whether or not to keep the 910 plugged in or not? Is it OK to keep the 910attached to power while using in the car, or should I charge, use battery power, and only re-charge as needed?

Who does what? Does it matter? Will one way of use extend battery life? Thanks for sharing any experieces you have ....

Well the device is using a Lithium-Ion battery so there are some general rules to extend the life of a battery.

1. The chemistry make-up of the battery prefers a partial discharge as oppose to a full discharge (0%)
That is pretty much self explanatory. Don't wait for the battery to go dead to recharge rather charge when you can. The recommended charge level is about 40%. You can charge as many times or often as you want as they don't suffer from 'memory'. The term 'memory' is best explained by an example:

Let's say you had a battery that is 50% discharged. If you were to charge it at that point, the battery will think it was fully discharged and will remember that point as being as such. So, when you start using the fully charged battery again (100%) and the battery reaches the 50% mark, the battery thinks its fully discharged when it's obviously not. In effect, the storage capacity was halved. That's why you see back in the day to totally discharge the battery before recharging.

Lithium-Ion battery does NOT suffer from this.

2. Lithium-Ion batteries age and have a life of about 2 - 3 years
I'm sure everyone knows this fact if they own cell phones or laptops. Over time you notice that you have to charge more often because the battery loses its power faster. Thats just the way it is. Advice here is to avoid 'not using it' thinking that it will prolong the life of the battery because the battery still ages even when not in use.

3. Avoid storing the battery in a heated area
The speed in which the battery ages is manipulated by temperature. Whenever possible avoid leaving the device in your car especially in the summer as the heat can drastically reduce the age and storage capacity of the battery. It's good practice to do this anyway as the car might become a potential treasure chest for a thief.

Source: Link and Link

Last edited:
So, based upon the lithium-ion battery use defintion you provided, you are suggesting that I use the 901 on battery power until approx. 50% drained, then charge to 100% - and repeat? Is this correct? How will I know when I have reached a 50% level? 2 hours use? How will I know when to remove from charger when fully charged? Does the 901 really "lock-up" and require a reset when "too charged"? Thanks ...

The information I provided was just a general guideline for extending the life of lithium-ion batteries. Sorry if it was confusing or just information overload.

So to answer your question:

you are suggesting that I use the 901 on battery power until approx. 50% drained, then charge to 100% - and repeat? Is this correct?
Yes that's fine. Reading the sources, it is usually recommended to charge at roughly 40%. This is just a rule of thumb to extend the battery life.

How will I know when I have reached a 50% level? 2 hours use?
You can check the battery level in the status summary. I have a TT1, which is found by tapping the lower right corner in the navigation screen.

How will I know when to remove from charger when fully charged?
You don't. AFAIK the device doesn't tell you when it's fully charged.

Does the 901 really "lock-up" and require a reset when "too charged"? Thanks ...
Unfortunately, I don't have a 910 but I can tell you everytime I have my TT1 in the car I always have it hooked up (charging) and never had it lock up because it was 'too charged'.

But Digital-Flex, I have a question. The car charger charges quickly. Is it ok to have it discharge a small amount then have the car charger charge it up to full or is it better to unplug the car charger when it's full (of course asking the passenger to do it) and then let it run back down to yellow/orange battery and repeat the cycle?

OK, so there are two things you want to know:

Is it ok to have it discharge a small amount then have the car charger charge it up to full
Yes it is ok. Charging Lithium-ion batteries can be done at any time, it does not have to be regular on a schedule. In otherwords, if the battery was less than 100% (fully charged), its ok to charge it any time.

is it better to unplug the car charger when it's full (of course asking the passenger to do it) and then let it run back down to yellow/orange battery and repeat the cycle?

I got this from batteryuniversity.com (which seems to be a reliable source as many sites reference it) under the Lithium-Ion column:

batteryquestion.jpg

batteryanswer.jpg

So charging a full battery is ok as it has internal functions that terminates the so called 'overcharging'.

When I'm home, 70% of the time my ONE is sitting on my desk next to my laptop, being charged by my laptop.

on the road... I leave it unpluged until I notice the yellow battery indicator come on, then I plug the car charger in and leave it in.

I honestly don't think my way is prolonging the life of the battery nor killing it quicker....

yeah I know but I wasn't asking about fully charging or overcharging haha... I was asking about if it was plugged in, then instead of dropping to half, it'll only drop a bit before the battery gets recharged to full.

But seeing how you said it doesn't have a memory issue, then I guess it's ok to leave it plugged in and having it charged the moment the battery is used (whatever the threshold is.. say whenever it drops to 90% full, then the charger comes back on to get it to 100%)

Great information Digital-Flex

I've never used my car charger, but I always have my 910 on my extra home dock charging at home or work.
I also have my ONE charging with my Moto Phone Charger at home.

Thanks, guys!

This battery charging discussion is proof that there are no stupid questions - except the ones not asked... -

I had wondered myself and kinda stayed in the middle and mostly charge it while docked.

I did find the info useful, and I particularly like the "friend" reference. The message I took from this thread was to discharge a fully-charged 901, but not all the way, (somewhere in the 50% range, maybe based on hourly usage?). Repeating this disharge/charge usage pattern should be the optimum based upon the lithium-ion battery type.

Another piece of info I was trying to gather from this thread however, was the "Urban Legend/or truth", of overcharged 901's that freeze up, and need to be reset. I'm not sure this statemnt is true or not, or if I should "avoid overcharging at all costs"?

Ask a Question