to buy or not to buy 1005... that is the question??

I am thinking about taking the plunge and buying a 1005 but after reading countless reviews they seem to be mixed and it seems a number of useful features on older models are not available on the newer (expensive) model.

Knowing how clued up you all seem to be on the forum I just wanted to hear some of your opinions.

I like the look of all the HD and Live features and the new lane guidance looks great compared to the rubbish garmin we have.

Can someone tell me if these features below are now available or are they still to come if ever as these are some of the features I was interested in.

MyTomTom for the latest generation of TomTom devices. .

* Backing up - currently this functionality is not available for your device.

* Adding POIs - currently this functionality is not available for your device.

* Purchasing maps - currently this functionality is not available for your device.

* Downloading voices - currently this functionality is not available for your device.

* Managing maps - currently this functionality is not available for your device.

* Map Share corrections - currently this functionality is not available for your device.

* Sharing favourites - currently this functionality is not available for your device.

thanks in advance
Peter

* Backing up - currently this functionality is not available for your device.
Correct

* Adding POIs - currently this functionality is not available for your device.
Incorrect.
As far as I know, owners in all countries are now able to add user-poi files to the 1005.
I think you are based in the UK? It certainly works there.

Users in some countries still seem unable to add other things like recorded voices, car cursors, images and warning sounds, but Europe and the UK have been able to do that for some months now.

* Purchasing maps - currently this functionality is not available for your device.

. The Latest Map guarantee is now working, so you can download the most up to date map onto the device, but you still cannot add DIFFERENT maps to it.

* Downloading voices - currently this functionality is not available for your device.
Partially correct.
As above, you CAN add normal voices you have downloaded from the web or that you already have from another model.
But there is no way to download them from TomTom via MyTomtom like you can in Home.

* Managing maps - currently this functionality is not available for your device.
Correct. see above

* Map Share corrections - currently this functionality is not available for your device.
Mostly correct.
You cannot download corrections from other users. But you CAN still make your own corrections to the map.

* Sharing favourites - currently this functionality is not available for your device.
Incorrect.
Favourites are now handled just like another POI file. You can save them to your PC and you can edit the file or put a different one back onto the Go1005.

Thanks Paul sounds like the 1005 would be a good buy. I am based in the UK so it sounds like most of the features that I will use will work :thumb:

thanks agian

Paul? :confused:

God luck and call back here if you have any questions once you've got it.

Ask a Question