TMC in Toronto any good?

I might buy a lifetime TMC receiver from TomTom once it comes out for my GO 710.

I know that Toronto has TMC, but is it any good? Does it tell you real time traffic info?

Well, I have tested the rds-tmc antenna in a few models in and around Toronto and surroundings. It's ok in that it will show traffic hold ups, where and the duration of the delay........ but the information is not 'live' as such.

(We do not have live traffic in Canada with any TomTom device).

It is also not as current as traffic via Plus services using bluetooth and getting the info from your phone. But we don't have that either up here.

So, yeah, it does help with traffic somewhat and will enable the functionality of the unit selecting an alternate route due to traffic.

For example, I was on the DVP a few weeks ago and it did show a purported delay a few km north of my location. Initially said the delay would be about 8 minutes but, in actuality, it was about 3 or 4.

So, don't expect absolute dead-on accurate information 100% of the time. It will provide reasonable information.

As long as you know beforehand.

I don't think I would bother for the GTA unless you can get service which automatically suggest alternative routes, stating the ETA.

On the 401, listen to 680 radio an when they suggest to move to the collector lanes, stay in the express and vice versa, unless you want to converge with the rest of the sheep.

On the Gardiner or DVP, unless closed, you really do not have an alternative during the 0700h-1030h and 1500h-1900h rush hours. No matter how much stop & stop, they are still faster than lateral roads.
Took me an hour, twenty five minutes this morning at 0745h from Lawrence & Morningside to the Roundhouse Park down town.
If I leave before 0645h I can usually make it in thirty five minutes, using Kingston Rd..

You may be better off using Google maps Traffic or Bing for that matter but, I think it can get expensive with an unlimited data contract on an Android phone.

I might buy a lifetime TMC receiver from TomTom once it comes out for my GO 710.

The GO 710 won't support the lifetime TMC receiver. See here.

The serial receiver is available on ebay for about $20. Just make sure it's designed for North America and that it has the round plug.

What's the difference between the lifetime TMC and the serial one?

Why is the GO 710 not supported? Is it a software issue or a hardware incompatibility?

What's the difference between the lifetime TMC and the serial one?

Why is the GO 710 not supported? Is it a software issue or a hardware incompatibility?

It's both.

The lifetime TMC plugs into a USB port. If I remember properly, the 710 car dock doesn't have a USB port.

And the lifetime TMC antenna needs app 8.x to run in Europe and 9.x in North America. Neither is available for the 710.

Pulling up my own old thread.

If I buy the 2505, do I get free lifetime traffic without the need to connect to a cellphone and use mobile data?

It seems like traffic doesn't work well with older models. How about with the current, latest one?

Thanks.

If the 2505 does come with traffic included when you buy it then you won't need a cell phone. The RDS-TMC antenna is built into the car charger.

BUT........

RDS traffic info is not as current or comprehensive as the (old, now discontinued) Plus traffic service was.

The most current traffic is via the LIVE service but that too is not offered in Canada.

So, rds-tmc is better than nothing but it is not the cat's meow either.

Ask a Question