"This functionality is not yet supported for your combination of your navigation...."

From the Sticky Thread "Fixing problems with the XXL 540", I downloaded the file 9.058 cab file and saved it in Documents. When I put the cursor over the file name it shows lots of files over to the right side without having to extract them. I am using Windows 7 Home 64 bit Home Premium. To be clear, can I just copy, paste and overwrite these multiple files to the unit without using WinRar? My current app info is listed above in this thread. Thanks. Don't want to mess this up.

Oliver

Make the Explorer backup and let WinRar do its thing. Some of the files in that application cab file do not go in the root of the unit. WinRar keeps the file structure imbedded in the cab file.

Gotcha. I understand now. As always, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge freely.

Oliver

Hello everyone,

Win XP-Pro, SP3, etc.

Just took my XXL540 out of the box this morning. Read through this thread and want to make sure I'm on the correct track before I waste any more of my time.

When I plug the unit into the computer, the Home software comes up, recognizes the device (eventually) and then I also get an autoplay window open for my new drive, "D" in this case. At this point I can see the files and folders on the device.

Then the festivities begin. Anytime I try to do something that involves reading or writing to the device i.e. make a regular backup, the data on 'D' is no longer visible. Trying an initial back-up also naturally fails. with a long list of error messages.

From the window that displays the file system's size, its like looking at roulette. I've seen it go fro m 1888 mbyte (or so) to 65535 mbyte. Amazing, 65 gbyte on such a little device. although I expect the converted hex number 0xFFFF means its not reading the thing.

Installing any updates i.e a mapshare update is a hit-or-miss.
None of the "Operate my XXL" or whatever features work either.

The most common thing is the device's USB drive disappearing after accessing it.

Should I travel down the path outlined in this thread, or just RMA it and start over? I can't believe the problems on a device that's been around a bit. Were I TomTom I'd be embarrassed.

Any and all help very much appreciated.

A further update to my saga. When I first installed the Home software v2.8 I believe, the system had an ugly crash shortly thereafter.

I uninstalled / reinstalled the Home software and reset all the preferences to their default by deleting the folders outlined on the TomTom site.

I tried it again and that was where I left it when I made my previous post. Last night I decided to give the system a tweak before I continued. I shut off the only other USB device (besides the keyboard and mouse) I had plugged, in an HP printer. I did the long 'chkdsk' and defrag on every volume in my system since the system was still acting flaky from the morning crash

Hours later, I plugged the 540 back in and the Home software came up. At that point I ran chkdsk on the filesystem in the TomTom. Saw that somewhere here I thought.

Then I made an Explorer backup, which seemed to go okay. Feeling brave I entered my Lifetime maps code and was able to download and update the map on the system.

This morning I tried the Home based TomTom back-up and it worked. Slow, but worked.

I think my version of software is 9.061. Forgot to write the US-Canada-Mexico maps version down, but was suppossed to be the latest from the site.

Since then I've been able to remove some voices, do the quick-gps update, a couple of other minor changes, and it all seems to be stable. Also, from the "Manage" screen the filesystem size is now consistent.

Still can't perform the "Operate My TomTom" command but everything else appears to be stable. Haven't tried downloading routes, etc.

I feel like I made a lot of progress, but am now looking for some advice as to what's best to do next. Should I wait for a software fix, or try to roll back the OS to a version that would better support the device?

Here's the version info:
Device AKxxxxxxx
App 9.061.576030.2 OS 567329
(1034, 9/15/2010)
64 MB RAM (free: 19.2MB)
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5279
Map 'USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P' v865.3254
Language: English US

First 2 numbers of serial number RX

Sorry for the long post but wanted to include as much info as I could.

Thanks for the previous suggestion, and again, all help appreciated.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to see if that works...

My XXL540TM had the same spec's. Was not able to successfully roll back, and have emulation ('operate my xxl" in HOME; and still be able to access the maps.

Also noticed that my RAM amount would change from the stated 64 - to 32 when in a downgraded app. Currently, am in the process of having it swapped out by TomTom to get a new unit. Which they stated would not have 9.061 installed initially.

If I had 'operate my xxl' working in HOME; my device was toast, and could not use the 865 map... TomTom tech support became stumped - and these knowledgeable guys got out of ideas...

D.

Last edited:
Tomtom needs to create an "Operate my XXL" emulator dll for each device and software version permutation.

However, they haven't yet created the emulator for apps 9.056 or 9.061 on the XXL. Therefore, emulator-based features like pin code and "send from Google" don't work.

If you have an older XXL with older software like 9.053, the emulator is available and there's no problem.

We found a workaround, where "wrong device" software ran on the XXL, and that "wrong device" software both had an emulator published and was able to read map 860.

With the release of 865, the "wrong device" software can no longer read the new map. DavidS777 helped us try a bunch of other workarounds, but nothing succeeded.

So now we're back to square one - the emulator hasn't yet been made for Amazon-specific software versions of the XXL (9.056/9.061).

Hi all. I just purchased a XXL 540m from Amazon but do not have it in my possession yet because I am on a business trip, so it's sitting at home, still in the shipping box. After reading all the great info on this site, I am now wondering if I should just send it back, before I even open it. Is it even worth attempting to use? Just wondering what the consensus is out there.

I realize the price from Amazon is better than a brick & mortar store but, nevertheless, I still would return it.

Fellow moderator, mvl, has expressed frustration in more than one thread about what's happened to the once solid 540 model and its variants. It was pretty much the Gold standard for non live models among the then current line available.

But the 540 batch from Amazon has reduced everybody's faith/confidence in the model -- users, potential users and us, the moderators here.

The XXL540 models from Amazon fall into two categories:
1) Devices that are dead-on-arrival. The devices won't turn on, or brick immediately upon attempting a latest map guarantee.

2) Devices that don't permit the "Operate My XXL" computer emulator to work. Without the computer emulator, you cannot add a pin code, nor send destinations from Google to the Tomtom

I've seen less of category 1 lately, seems like Amazon has burned through all that defective stock.

But category #2 devices still don't have all the advertised features working. If you don't use those features (computer emulator, pin code, and send-from-google), then you may want to keep the Amazon model since Amazon has a good price.

Otherwise, return it.

Is the emulator something that people anticipate will be fixed down the road or should I assume that function will never work? I paid $86.00 and it came with the Case Logic case. I don't mind spending a bit more for a functioning device but this will be my first nav unit so I don't want to go crazy. Any advice on what a good second choice to the 540 would be?

Hi - definitely not an expert on tomtom or models - so don't have a huge amount...

Will they add emulator support: Depends. XXL540 is an older model. They might. And might not. You can't believe what all the various TomTom techs state - since some of them say WHATEVER to just get you off the line...

Some newer models are coming out... see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...ia/24959-five-new-via-models-soon-arrive.html

For a review of features of various models see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/21826-tomtom-model-feature-reference.html

As far as your particular model... I hope you know that does not have lifetime Traffic on it? You purchased the XXL540M; with lifetime maps - but not the TM with traffic and maps...

The XXL550TM (Costco has with case at excellent price ($149US)) has the 'easy menu' - which from various threads on this site - is apparently fairly easy to 'hack'; and to get back a lot of functionality. (Tom Tom removed a lot of good functions which the 540 supports.) And a switch exists to just make it so that you can switch back and forth between the two menu's... But (even with hacks) the 550 does not support 'compass' (it gives direction in degrees only); has no ability to set destination by Latitude/Longitude (people like for various reasons (like GeoCaching example); and is more difficult to use Itinerary Route planning (but it can do it.) TomTom also sometimes intentionally disables some of these hacks... in app updates.

When you get home; Turn your unit on - and just hold down the switch... For about 10-15 seconds - till a short 'drum roll' sounds. Release switch. Unit will now display its app version /serial, boot version, etc. Write it down; and see about possibilities of getting it to work correctly.

If you decide to do ANYTHING with your unit - first thing to do - plug in the cable with the usb end - and plug it into your computer. Do not let anything run. This will now be treated as a regular 'usb' device seen by your computer. Make sure your folder options are set to view ALL files and extensions; and open up the device's drive letter. Select/ and COPY all the contents of your tomtom to a folder and location of your choice. Copy that to a different portable drive also. (I've had hard drives crash on me...) You now have a backup of the XXL540M as it came from the store....

If you are into Real Estate; or do a lot of traveling with stops in between - you might find that the Itinerary feature is quite handy...

Or just return it; and buy from Brick Mortar. (They generally have an older app version which allows to be fixed.) Hope some of this helps; the two links might also help you out...

D.

Last edited:
I was going to get the 540tm but it was sold out by the time I placed my order, so I decided to get the lifetime maps instead of lifetime traffic. This is one of those things that, as a first time PND owner, I'll have to figure out if I made the right decision. What about the fact that I'm reading there has been a recent map release? 8.65 I believe. Is it possible that may solve some of these issues?

Some issues may be still exist but make sure you make an Explorer, not Home, backup, as soon as you get the unit out of its box.

The XXL540 models from Amazon fall into two categories:

2) Devices that don't permit the "Operate My XXL" computer emulator to work. Without the computer emulator, you cannot add a pin code, nor send destinations from Google to the Tomtom.

mvl, I seem to have one of this category. I just got it yesterday and Operate My XXL does not work. It otherwise appears to be fully functional, so I'm tempted to keep it. I don't understand why Tomtom (from what I've read) appears to have so many vendor variants for their software.

If you get a 540 with an older version software app from a bricks and mortar store, will the 865 maps work w/o forcing an upgrade to the newer (and to my mind, defective) apps?

I could go that way, (return the unit to Amazon) but compared to what I've seen of Amazon's price, I'll not even come close to matching it. And if I have to kick in another $75-$100, just to get the features I thought I already paid for, I'm probably gong to look at another manufacturer, just on priciple.

That's just really poor business practices on TomTom's part.

Is it just the XXL540 models that are crap from amazon, or are there others as well? Such as, I'm perfectly fine with the XL340, and the prices on amazon are hard to come buy, plus they are an authorized online retailer whereas eBay is not.

I could go that way, (return the unit to Amazon) but compared to what I've seen of Amazon's price, I'll not even come close to matching it. And if I have to kick in another $75-$100, just to get the features I thought I already paid for, I'm probably gong to look at another manufacturer, just on principle.

That's just really poor business practices on TomTom's part.

Understand. A different route.... The unit from Amazon - have that RMA'd back to TT under Warranty. They pay for a 2-day ship to them; then ship slow boat back to you....

Anyway - the units in the TT distribution center should be fine (per TT support.) I wanted them to spend a few dollars fixing their mess - so they are shipping me a new unit. Amazon also stated that they did not track S/N's - so if the new 540 from TT is not able to be made to work correctly - I already know that can still be returned to Amazon for full refund.

D.

Is it just the XXL540 models that are crap from amazon, or are there others as well? Such as, I'm perfectly fine with the XL340, and the prices on amazon are hard to come buy, plus they are an authorized online retailer whereas eBay is not.
Third thread for this question. Third time with the same answer.

540 from Amazon bad.
Others from Amazon good.
Insist on Amazon, avoid 540.
Insist on 340, squint (if you're not 40 or so yet, you'll understand later):p

Ask a Question