"This functionality is not yet supported for your combination of your navigation...."

Try running the Clear Flash tool found here:
Find Answers

Run it 3 times.

Also, reset the unit. Hold the power button for about 10 seconds.

Use Explorer and look at the contents of the unit. Within the USA_Canada map folder do you see a file called something like USA_Canada_Mexico.meta.dct ??

(ensure 'hide extensions for known file names is NOT checked in Control Panel-->Folder options-->View-->Advanced).

Well, I have good news and bad news. :) :confused:

I did the Explorer backup, deleted the root files (kept the folders and contents), and hooked up to Home2.

I was offered and accepted the 8.555(? I think) app for the XXL 530s (only option).
Good that you backed up first. However, don't expect Home to give you an improved application. You probably do want to try the GO series firmware since it's done pretty well for a number of people so far. You need to pull it down from the source as specified directly ( http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.058.go540-go740_navcore-GO.cab ). Home won't give that to you.

You probably do want to try the GO series firmware since it's done pretty well for a number of people so far. You need to pull it down from the source as specified directly ( http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.058.go540-go740_navcore-GO.cab ).
Thanks for that link...but (and sorry if I'm being dense) how can I use that .cab file? I didn't see any clues in the files within, nor could I turn up a clue on the Tomtom site. Is Home able to pick up on it somehow once I have the local copy?

And your icon looks pretty familiar. I believe I've read a number of your well-informed posts on the gc.com boards.

After making the Explorer backup and downloading the .cab file that canderson gave you the link for, delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents. Then, use WinRar to extract the contents of the cab file to the unit, overwriting files if prompted.

Thanks for that link...but (and sorry if I'm being dense) how can I use that .cab file? I didn't see any clues in the files within, nor could I turn up a clue on the Tomtom site. Is Home able to pick up on it somehow once I have the local copy?
Looks like dhn has you in good hands there on the *.cab file. Those are just Windows way of packaging up archives - much like a *.zip. Either WinRAR or the native ZIP can be used to unpack them. Just make sure (in both cases) that it retains the path information so that things go to the right folders.

And your icon looks pretty familiar. I believe I've read a number of your well-informed posts on the gc.com boards.
Ah yes - a bit distinctive, isn't it?:p As for using your TomTom for geocaching (assuming that's why you're over at gc.com), have a look over here: https://www.tomtomforums.com/new-members-introductions/24407-geocaching-my-tomtom-unit.html

At the bottom of page 1 and top of page 2, I get pretty thorough, if it helps.

Tom Tom 550TM Acuracy

Sorry, but I had to ask...your serious about geocaching with the tom tom, I have a 550TM and it has a hard enough time finding the addresses I put in it....Is there any way to make my device more acurate?? By the way just how acurate are they anyway??

HamRadioNut

Last edited:
Sorry, but I had to ask...your serious about geocaching with the tom tom, I have a 550TM and it has a hard enough time finding the addresses I put in it....Is there any way to make my device more acurate?? By the way just how acurate are they anyway??

HamRadioNut
If you read the info I provided, you'll note that I did not recommend them for actually finding the cache - just driving you to the vicinity.

How accurate they are depends upon your firmware level. Prior to versions 9.XXX, the unit would lie to you and give you the nearest position on a road 90 degrees to your location if it could ("road snap" - see link mentioned). At 9.XXX, they work rather well. Not as good as a purpose built handheld with WAAS, but not bad. Plenty close enough for a majority of caches. I assume you've found the read-out for coordinates? Give it a try sometime just for grins.

In any case, I can't tell what a "550TM" is. May have missed in a prior post. HUGE difference between the XL550TM and the XXL550TM. The latter is a complete train wreck if you need to punch in some coordinates for any reason. No facility for that at all. The XL550TM is fine, though.

Last edited:
Thanks dhn and canderson for the information. Copying the cab contents to the GPS was about the only alternative I could see, but I wasn't going to try something like that unless someone certified it.

My XXL 540TM now runs with the emulator and shows its maps. I guess whenever I start to see map updates begin to show, that I'll know things are running on all cylinders.

Thanks dhn and canderson for the information. Copying the cab contents to the GPS was about the only alternative I could see, but I wasn't going to try something like that unless someone certified it.
The only thing that we certify around here is each other. Trust us, we're certifiable.

Glad you are back in business with the emulator. It's a bit of a mystery as to why the non-standard firmware load seems to operate correctly with Home. dhn tossed it out once as a last ditch effort in a somewhat different set of circumstances, only to discover this benefit when the user reported back. I'd have almost bet money it would never work between the unit's internal understanding of what it is, the firmware, and Home, but we don't look any gift horses in the chipset and all that...

Tom Tom XXL550TM

If you read the info I provided, you'll note that I did not recommend them for actually finding the cache - just driving you to the vicinity.

How accurate they are depends upon your firmware level. Prior to versions 9.XXX, the unit would lie to you and give you the nearest position on a road 90 degrees to your location if it could ("road snap" - see link mentioned). At 9.XXX, they work rather well. Not as good as a purpose built handheld with WAAS, but not bad. Plenty close enough for a majority of caches. I assume you've found the read-out for coordinates? Give it a try sometime just for grins.

In any case, I can't tell what a "550TM" is. May have missed in a prior post. HUGE difference between the XL550TM and the XXL550TM. The latter is a complete train wreck if you need to punch in some coordinates for any reason. No facility for that at all. The XL550TM is fine, though.

Sorry canderson, my bad.....I guess I own the train wreck. I have only owned two Tom Tom gps and they both have there issues.

HamRadioNut

I have to agree on your assertion about my XXL550. This is my 1st GPS. There are workarounds with the SDK and it will let you run most 3rd party programs. Most people won't want to mess with the innerds to make it do what the other TomTom's do but it is fully capable of having the compass, 2D up navigation, auto off, navigate to coordinates, and all the other goodies. Shame on TomTom for dumbing down a great piece of hardware.

Last edited:
Sorry canderson, my bad.....I guess I own the train wreck. I have only owned two Tom Tom gps and they both have there issues.

HamRadioNut
As caching goes, the TomTom was early in allowing users to generate custom POI categories externally and load them up. Once GSAK (actually, thanks to GPSBabel) started converting *.gpx files to *.ov2, it was a natural.

Screen results look a bit like this:

Attachments

• TomTom Geo Screen.jpg
    TomTom Geo Screen.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 363
Tom Tom XXL550TM

As caching goes, the TomTom was early in allowing users to generate custom POI categories externally and load them up. Once GSAK (actually, thanks to GPSBabel) started converting *.gpx files to *.ov2, it was a natural.

Screen results look a bit like this:

Looks pretty cool....I have a handheld Garmin Map76 that I use for Geocaching...if I have good satellite coverage it will put me within a few feet of the spot.

Anyway thanks for the info...

HamRadionut

Just adding a device subject to the thread title - not really interested in downgrading/etc. I figure it'll be fixed in some future update, and I probably still wouldn't really use it.

Device:
Device Name: TomTom XL IQ Routes Edition
Device Type: xl2009_plus_2048
Device s/n: RS55
App version: 9.061.576030.2
OS version: 567329 (1034, 15-9-2010)
GPS version: 1.20
Boot version: 5.5277
Map: 'Europe_North' v860.3101

Computer software:
TomTom s/w: TomTom HOME
Version: 2.7.6.2056
( DLL Version: 2.7.6.2056. MapShare DLL version: 2.7.6.2056 )

"Operate my ONE XL" results in the "This functionality is not yet supported for [etc.]" message.

As far as I can tell, the MapShare bits and pieces do work fine - MapShare corrections get downloaded, and my corrections are uploaded.. well, so it claims anyway :)

XXL550TM Menu Options

I have to agree on your assertion about my XXL550. This is my 1st GPS. There are workarounds with the SDK and it will let you run most 3rd party programs. Most people won't want to mess with the innerds to make it do what the other TomTom's do but it is fully capable of having the compass, 2D up navigation, auto off, navigate to coordinates, and all the other goodies. Shame on TomTom for dumbing down a great piece of hardware.

Hi Aiken,
I just noticed your post about the menu options using the SDK, I have looked at another post that had some menus but did not noticed the ones you mention here. I really would like to get the 2D up and the auto off and the others you mentioned. Can you tell me how to do this.

Thanks,
HamRadioNut

Hi Aiken,
I just noticed your post about the menu options using the SDK, I have looked at another post that had some menus but did not noticed the ones you mention here. I really would like to get the 2D up and the auto off and the others you mentioned. Can you tell me how to do this.

Thanks,
HamRadioNut

What I was referring to is that all thatt functionality could be made available if TT chose to do it. There is no way to get that type of functionality without voiding your warranty.

Just adding a device subject to the thread title - not really interested in downgrading/etc. I figure it'll be fixed in some future update, and I probably still wouldn't really use it.

I've been lurking on the thread for a while. I also own an XXL IQ Routes :

Device Name: TomTom XL IQ Routes Edition
Device Type: xxl2009_plus_2048_black
Device s/n: RW
App version: 9.061.576030.2
OS version: 567329 (1034, 15-9-2010)
GPS version: 1.20
Boot version: 5.5279
Map: Europe_West 860.3101

Like you I've had the "Operate my XXL" error from early January 2011 when I purchased the unit. I contacted Tomtom technical support and they advised me that this would not work until the TTHomes developers "caught up" with the new 9.061 software.

Bit annoying as I cannot set a PIN or send info from the Tomtom route planner to the device.

Aside from this I'm happy with the unit. Hopefully the Tomtom Home developers will catch up soon :)

Last edited:
Yay, new user here...well, 'new purchaser' since I dare not rely on it yet.:(

TomTom XXL IQ Routes Edition
C_NO : RX
App 9.061.576030.2, OS 567329
(1034, 9/15/2010)
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5279
Map: 'USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P' v860.3121
Language: English US

Another User*

:(
1. Mapshare doesn't work
2. 'Operate my device' doesn't work
3. XXL Is running Go/XL/One/Rider App.
4. Battery runs low quickly.
5. Erasing App on Device and Updating Device with App (suggested by Tech Supt to cure #4 above) yields a non-functional unit. New XXL App supposedly installs but consumes <10MB space on device compared to 23MB download/asserted size and 13MB prior (#3) size. :confused:
6. I choose not to update the Euro map, as there is no space on the device for that together with US map. Orig Euro map is much smaller and fits simultaneously with US map.
6. Thank God for Explorer backups. But maybe that ought to be part of the documented setup, prior to any updates.

There's lots I like about the device, but can you say 'FUBAR'? It strikes me that there needs to be a unique MAKE file for each unit, dynamically operated by Home to offer intelligent sw/fw upgrades. From my corp dev days, I suspect that TomTom AppDev has painted itself into some kind of corner, and that Execs prefer bonuses to the required re-engineering. :rolleyes:

Regards, with shared sympathy and empathy.

:cool:
XXL 540TM WTE C_NO: RZ54...
App 9.056.552648.2, OS 541764 (1027, 7/16/2010)
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5274, Map USCanMex v860.3121

* Have you noticed that it is only computer hw/sw vendors and drug dealers who call their customers 'users'?

After making the Explorer backup and downloading the .cab file that canderson gave you the link for, delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents. Then, use WinRar to extract the contents of the cab file to the unit, overwriting files if prompted.

Overwriting the only file "PNDNavigator" in the "root" directory does help - extract that one from "9.053.xxl2009_tts.CAB-navcore-XXL.cab" via 7-Zip or RAR and use Explorer to perform a copy.

Ask a Question